“All in all pretty good. You are really paying for the location here”

Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
Ranked #105 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The location couldn't be better for shopping. The galleria is a pretty good shopping mall and the westin is located right in the middle of it.

My main concern is that they don't have a breakfast buffet, but you can order room service if you want.

The staff is friendly and helpful, but when I ordered a frozen margarita to the pool, it was all melted when I got it. We also asked for some more poolside towels in the reception area, and they told us it would be right up. 50 minutes later we gave up on the towels as they had not made their way to the pool area.

The reception staff was pretty good though. Especially one lithuanian guy that worked there. Very friendly :)

Room Tip: Get one as high up as you can for the view. You might have to wait a while for the elevators though
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our college visit to Rice University and got a good deal with Priceline. It's attached to the Galleria, so it's great if you want to do some shopping and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. The parking was free, which was an unexpected plus for a downtown location. However, as others have stated the signage for the parking is poor, but just ask the doorman. The room was clean and comfortable and typical of Westin.

Nowadays, internet access is such so routine that anyone trying to charge for it should be viewed negatively. If the income for it is important, the hotel should just increase the room cost by $5 and give it free to everyone. They charge over $10, but I would image less than 50% pay for it. We just ended up using our mobile phone data during the stay for internet. Thw whole Westin brand should do what they can to get rid of internet charges. I lowered my service and value rating due to this issue.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dnadad
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear dnadad,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback of your recent stay at the Westin Galleria. We regret that the cost of the internet caused a negative effect on your stay with us. It is never our intention to cause such a disruption in our guest’s stay and regret having caused one in yours. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to mend your impression of our hotel during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I recently stayed the Westin Galleria for a business conference. The hotel is very convenient to numerous restuarants of all price ranges. Also, the hotel opens into the Galleria Mall if shopping is your goal. The room was clean and nice. The personnel are friendly and prompt. The AC controller is a little funky, but once you realize that you have to set the temperature about 3 degrees lower than your comfort level, it cools nicely. I am a runner and there is a nice running route provided by the hotel. Unfortunately, you have to cross several very busy intersections, which have long lights.

My pet peeve is that the Westin thinks it is a European hotel and charge for internet. I really have a problem with a US hotel that does this. I would let them know that you resent added charges for internet at an upscale hotel. Hopefully, they will comp. the internet for you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Jamilah G, Executive Assistant at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Greetings POP866,

Thank you very much for providing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Westin Galleria. We are delighted that you found our location to be convenient. At the Westin Galleria, we strive to provide a personalized experience for all of our guest. We are pleased that you were able to take advantage of our running routes, and apologize for the lights creating an inconvenience. Unfortunately, being in such a prime location, does result in long traffic lights at times. I regret that the internet created a negative impact for you. Please note, the lobby does have free wi-fi in case you do not want to pay for in-room internet access, but still would like to utilize the internet. Again, thank you for taking the time to express your Westin Galleria experience, and we hope to have the pleasure of hosting your stay the next time you are in the Houston Galleria area.

Be Well,
Jamilah G

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The hotel is fine. Clean and good sized rooms. The only thing I found very disturbing is that this hotel is connected to a mall. Anyone from the mall can enter the hotel and the hotel elevator without needing a hotel key. I was able to enter the third floor of the hotel directly from the mall, enter the elevator without passing security, and get to my floor or any floor without needing to use my key to pick a floor. I would highly suggest the elevators be upgraded to require a room key to access sleeping floors.

Room Tip: be sure to ask for a room away from the elevators - if not you'll hear beeping and people talkin...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Dlpnewyork,

We appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay at the Westin Galleria. We welcome all guest feedback and try to grow from their insight. We take the security of our guests very seriously and assure you that we have vigilant security throughout the hotel. At all times there are officers walking the hotel along with others reviewing video feed. We strive in providing our guests with a relaxing and rejuvenating stay and hope you will allow us the opportunity to mend your impression of our hotel during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We arrived tired and jet-lagged to be greeted by Claudia who couldn't do enough for us. A great start. All the staff smile and I can only hope that they are well treated because they were all very kind. I found it a very quiet hotel that is well manned in the sense that we felt security was good yet discreet. There was little noise or rowdiness at all. We loved that. Don't get me wrong - let your hair down, just wake everybody up etc.
The location is great even without a car. The concierge staff were very friendly and surprisingly the door staff were so knowledgable, when I asked Mario for some quick directions, it was exact.

If you expect 5 diamond luxury you will be disappointed. If you expect a high end 3 Star with 5star beds then you will be delighted. I know some reviews have mentioned makeovers, and they cost hotel chains a huge amount of money and time. We personally could not fault this hotel for our needs. The beds are wonderful and probably the biggest attraction as they are 5 star/diamond luxury.
The gym is superb.
I am grateful to the team for getting us a nice room for us to enjoy our Houston stay.

Room Tip: Ask what's available. You might want a lower floor for easiness.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear YourTravel77,

We greatly appreciate your kind review of the Westin Galleria. We are thrilled to hear that our staff assisted in providing you a memorable stay with us. We are honored to have Claudia and Mario on our team and I ensure you we will celebrate their praises! We hope to continue providing you with instinctive service during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed for two nights vacation.

On first sight the Westin Galleria (and its twin the Oaks) look like they were designed to be built in Moscow in 1960, don't be put off!

The name of the hotel says it all, it is absolutely in the middle of the Galleria mall, so you are an easy stroll to shops and restaurants (many restaurants within five minutes walk of the mall). If you don't like malls, then don't stay here!

The location right off the 610 is also good for exploring Houston, although traffic seems to be heavy all over Houston!

The check in area is nothing to write home about, but the room was fine, a little larger than a standard Westin room, but light & reasonably quiet.

The hotel restaurant is the Daily Grill & we had good breakfasts & a good burger there.

I stayed at the St Regis last time I was in the area, it is a nicer hotel, but the Westin beats it hands down for location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Robh9999,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin Galleria. We are thrilled to hear that our location assisted in providing you with an uplifting Westin Experience. The convenience of location does allow for great exploration of all areas of Houston. We hope to continue having the honor in hosting you during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for work related reasons, the staff were great and the place was clean and nice. There's only one thing I can't decide, whether being attached to the Galleria mall was a pro or con. Being so close to everything was nice if you want to shop but if not then you are kind of stuck. Loads of places to eat but all are a bit of a walk. I'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014