“Location! Location!”

Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #155 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the location. The Westin Oaks is located at the Galleria Mall and it is only minutes away from Highland Village and the Downtown Area. My 5-year-old son and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The room was spacious although the furniture was not as up to date as some other hotels that I’ve stayed in. Nevertheless, the bed was extremely comfortable and the view was amazing. My room was on the 16th floor; I had a great view of the city. Parking was not a hassle at all. However, I never had to park during high mall hours. I usually left the hotel around 8 or 9am and returned later that night. However, they do offer valet parking. It was also great to wake up early in the morning and be at the Galleria when they open their doors. Because of this, I was able to avoid the crowds and shop without any long lines. The hotel is not far for interstate 610. However, I would recommend to anyone staying in Houston to avoid the highways and to simply take the city roads to their location. Musuem District and Downtown is only about 15 mins away driving on the regular roads from the Westin Oaks. In addition, you do not have to deal with the stop and go traffic of the interstate. Also, you could walk to Waterwall Park from the hotel. If you’re staying at the Westin Oaks, it is a much do. Finally, the most convenient aspect of the hotel was not being far from restaurants. It was great to be able to just walk into the mall and choose from more than 20 restaurants without driving around town. The hotel has a restaurant and offers room service but why spend $30 on an overpriced breakfast when you can eat for $10 at the food court in the Galleria? All in all, whenever I am in Houston, I will be staying at the Westin Oaks!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor. Staying close to an elevator was not a problem. I never heard p...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tave S
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Tave S,

Thank you for your kind review of the Westin Oaks. We appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay, and are thrilled that our location assisted in providing you with an invigorating stay in Houston. Should your travels bring you over the weekend with your son, you should stop in at the Westin Kids Club for a movie and snacks! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Being connected to the mall is why you stay here. No need to be outside in the Houston humidity. The staff went above and beyond their duty - superb. The elevators are different and took a few minuets to figure out since you type in your floor before you enter. I can't imagine how elderly or "technology challenged" people use them.

This hotel is definitely updated, and nice - but the bathrooms are a little dated. Also, I wouldn't trust the balcony railing for anything.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Tj1551,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We appreciate your candor and welcome your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that our staff assisted in creating a memorable stay for you. We hope you will allow us to continue hosting you during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I recently attended a conference at this hotel and was excited because it is a Westin and it's in the Houston Galleria. I was disappointed in the hotel as a whole. It is very dated and the rooms were just ok. I heard so much about he most comfortable bed and it was just ok. They have a new elevator system that doesn't allow you to choose a floor, you have to punch in the floor and the system tells you what elevator will come and when it finally comes, 5 minutes or more later, the elevator stops automatically at all the floors. Not a well thought out plan.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear PatsyRodriguez,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We welcome all guest feedback as it provides us with invaluable insight to the areas in which we can improve. We sincerely regret that we did not assist in providing you with a relaxing and rejuvenating stay and that our destination elevators caused a disruption in your stay. We appreciate your comments and assure you that we have communicated your review with the necessary parties. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to host you in the future, so that we may mend your impression of our hotel.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We recently stayed the weekend here in a corner king room on the 17th floor. We drove in and hit Houston 5pm traffic. Not smart on my part. Pulled in to efficient valet service. Checked right in with no wait and had bellhop help us with the baggage. All the employees we encountered were first rate as this is a well managed hotel. We booked an extremely large corner king room with nice view of Houston. The "balcony" is a Juliet type balcony with aluminum guard rails that did not feel solid. If you have kids they probably need to avoid this. The room was very clean and the water pressure and temperature were excellent. There were some signs of minor wear but unless it is something big, it does not bother me.

The biggest plus for this hotel is of course the Galleria. This Westin opens right by the ice skating rink and I feel it is in a better location than the other Westin. We ordered room service three times, the food was good and the service was less than 30 minutes every time.

Now for the only bad thing on this trip. This hotel is serviced by four relatively small dispatch elevators. These are the new kind that have no inside buttons and you are "dispatched" a car by an outside panel. I am not sure if one or two of the elevators were out of service but response times were extremely slow. The first time we went to the pool I took the stairs from floor 17 to pool at 4. My wife and kid took the elevator. I beat them down. Now for the kicker. After a while at the pool, we reversed and I once again beat them going up! They had two full cars they passed up, then after waiting ten minutes they took stairs to 10. They then caught car up to 17.

The elevator was hit and miss like this entire trip. This was unusual because from what they told me, occupancy was low that weekend. It got to where we dreaded having to use the elevators.

Beside that, the location is king here, the rooms big and nice, and service exceptional. Maybe I caught a weekend where one or two elevators were out of service. I would stay here again but will request a lower floor next time to hedge my bet on the elevators.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tmde

Dear Tmde,

We appreciate your review of your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We regret that our destination elevators caused a disruption in your stay. We were indeed in the midst of repairing one elevator while also hosting a very large convention. We sincerely apologize for the disruption in your stay that this caused. We are thrilled to hear that our staff assisted in providing you and your family with a memorable stay and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to continue hosting you during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The property is very well located. The rooms are quite nice and a good value. However, the towels in the bathroom were either dirty or, get this; soiled with God only knows what. When I brought this to the attention of the front desk personnel they meekly apologizes and basically said "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play"!

I understand mishaps in housekeeping but really, two out of three towels? And feces to boot? Disturbing at the least and shocking for a Starwood brand.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Louis D,

Thank you for taking the time to bring your recent stay at the Westin Oaks to our attention. We strive in creating a peaceful and rejuvenating atmosphere for our guest’s to unwind in and sincerely regret that we did not fulfill our commitment to you. It is genuinely embarrassing that we did not provide you with the level of cleanliness we aim in maintaining and appreciate you having brought this to our attention. I assure you that I have spoken to our Director of Housekeeping to ensure that this situation does not repeat itself. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to mend your impression of our hotel during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very nice hotel with well equipped rooms. Rooms are large enough. Their gym was spacious with state of the art equipment and clean. Did not try the restaurant in the hotel. This hotel is attached to The Galleria which is huge and has plenty of places to eat. Great shopping too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Pros:
Pet friendly
Comfortable bed
Quiet (no noises from hallway or other guest rooms or outside)
Great location (can walk directly into Galleria Mall without even going outside)
Large room
Self parking is free (valet is available)
Room service dining was prompt and very tasty
My room had a nice balcony
Front desk personnel are friendly and efficient

Cons:
Room was not clean
Shower didn't work
Internet costs $10/day
Pool area is rather unattractive
Room service prices are very expensive

Conclusion:
I will stay here again when in Houston, but I will check the room for housekeeping problems right away and ask to be moved if I encounter any needed maintenance.

Tips:
I paid a very, very high rate for a Wednesday night, a reasonable rate for a Thursday night, and an inexpensive rate for a Friday night. Why? There was a convention. So if your dates are flexible, check the rates and plan ahead accordingly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear ArtHistoryTeacher,

Thank you for your kind review of the Westin Oaks. We appreciate all guest feedback and welcome yours. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our heavenly beds and that our staff provided you with personalized and instinctive service. We regret that you experienced some inconveniences during your stay. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to build and mend your impression of our hotel during your future travels to the Houston Galleria area.