“Westin Oaks Is No Hoax.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria

Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #120 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Westin Oaks Is No Hoax.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Me and my wife stayed for three nights in June '14.We choose here because of the location at the mall and we were thoroughly satisfied. The courteous staff and the great service offered at the hotel was exemplary, so was the very comfortable bed and the bathroom accessories. The convenient shopping and wide array of restaurants at the mall, summed up an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors would enable scenic views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Keshtrini,

We greatly appreciate your 5 star review of the Westin Oaks. We are thrilled that you and your wife enjoyed a refreshing Westin Experience and that our staff assisted in providing you with a memorable three days. We hope to be able to continue providing you with such service during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Best wishes,
Jennifer Rincon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Turkish first
Mamou, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Have stayed here several times. We were always pleased with the service. Rooms were clean and staff was always attentive to our needs. Location is nice and easy getting back onto loop. Shopping experience was ok. Would recommend without reservations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mike D,

We appreciate your continued patronage to the Westin Oaks! We welcome all guest feedback and are elated to hear that we have continued to provide you with a refreshing Westin Experience. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon!

Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Currently staying here for 2nd and final night. Very little sleep last night (Saturday) as guests in several rooms nearby thought everyone needed to wake-up about 2:30 AM and ran up and down the hall while play fighting. I'm all for partying on a Saturday night but have some respect for other guests when you get back to your hotel. Hotel is located off of Westheimer which also contributes to the noise. Kids (10yr & 13yr) had to take a mid-morning nap today just to catch-up on their sleep. The hotel also decided to play some sort of bait & switch game with their internet access. Yesterday we all logged in with complimentary access but for some reason today we have to pay (which I did just to write this review). Called down to the front desk and they tried to tell me my room did not come with free internet and I must have clicked on the pay option when I logged in yesterday. I know I didn't and they said I was actually charged for access yesterday. Out of the kindness of their heart they offered to comp my access yesterday but today I have to pay. I stayed one night last week in a $70/night motel and got unlimited complimentary Wi-Fi access that worked flawlessly. Here in a much more expensive hotel they not only charge you but they also limit you to 3 devices. With my cell phone, laptop, and iPad, I have 3 devices myself let alone my family of 4. Looked to order room service for breakfast this morning but I just couldn't do it after seeing a standard American breakfast is $29 and right across the street is an excellent breakfast café for much less. The room itself was fine but nothing special. Front desk staff was just as confused about my internet access issues as I was but tried talking their way around it. Absolutely not worth the price, frustration, or lack of sleep. There are much better options around the Galleria.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank flyntigr
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear flyntigr,

We appreciate your recent review of the Westin Oaks. We regret that your stay was less than expected. We strive in providing our guests with a tranquil and serene atmosphere to unwind and regret that we did not fulfill our commitment to you. We take pride and integrity of our brand very seriously and apologize that at any moment in your stay this was not reflected to you. We do have a 24 hour fee for use of in room WiFi; however we do provide complimentary WiFi use in our lobbies and regret that this was not properly communicated to you. We thank you for your candor and will communicate your comments to the necessary parties.

Dauphin Island, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the location. The Westin Oaks is located at the Galleria Mall and it is only minutes away from Highland Village and the Downtown Area. My 5-year-old son and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The room was spacious although the furniture was not as up to date as some other hotels that I’ve stayed in. Nevertheless, the bed was extremely comfortable and the view was amazing. My room was on the 16th floor; I had a great view of the city. Parking was not a hassle at all. However, I never had to park during high mall hours. I usually left the hotel around 8 or 9am and returned later that night. However, they do offer valet parking. It was also great to wake up early in the morning and be at the Galleria when they open their doors. Because of this, I was able to avoid the crowds and shop without any long lines. The hotel is not far for interstate 610. However, I would recommend to anyone staying in Houston to avoid the highways and to simply take the city roads to their location. Musuem District and Downtown is only about 15 mins away driving on the regular roads from the Westin Oaks. In addition, you do not have to deal with the stop and go traffic of the interstate. Also, you could walk to Waterwall Park from the hotel. If you’re staying at the Westin Oaks, it is a much do. Finally, the most convenient aspect of the hotel was not being far from restaurants. It was great to be able to just walk into the mall and choose from more than 20 restaurants without driving around town. The hotel has a restaurant and offers room service but why spend $30 on an overpriced breakfast when you can eat for $10 at the food court in the Galleria? All in all, whenever I am in Houston, I will be staying at the Westin Oaks!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floor. Staying close to an elevator was not a problem. I never heard p...
1 Thank Tave S
Dear Tave S,

Thank you for your kind review of the Westin Oaks. We appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay, and are thrilled that our location assisted in providing you with an invigorating stay in Houston. Should your travels bring you over the weekend with your son, you should stop in at the Westin Kids Club for a movie and snacks! We hope to see you soon!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Being connected to the mall is why you stay here. No need to be outside in the Houston humidity. The staff went above and beyond their duty - superb. The elevators are different and took a few minuets to figure out since you type in your floor before you enter. I can't imagine how elderly or "technology challenged" people use them.

This hotel is definitely updated, and nice - but the bathrooms are a little dated. Also, I wouldn't trust the balcony railing for anything.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Tj1551,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We appreciate your candor and welcome your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that our staff assisted in creating a memorable stay for you. We hope you will allow us to continue hosting you during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Best wishes,
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I recently attended a conference at this hotel and was excited because it is a Westin and it's in the Houston Galleria. I was disappointed in the hotel as a whole. It is very dated and the rooms were just ok. I heard so much about he most comfortable bed and it was just ok. They have a new elevator system that doesn't allow you to choose a floor, you have to punch in the floor and the system tells you what elevator will come and when it finally comes, 5 minutes or more later, the elevator stops automatically at all the floors. Not a well thought out plan.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear PatsyRodriguez,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We welcome all guest feedback as it provides us with invaluable insight to the areas in which we can improve. We sincerely regret that we did not assist in providing you with a relaxing and rejuvenating stay and that our destination elevators caused a disruption in your stay. We appreciate your comments and assure you that we have communicated your review with the necessary parties. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to host you in the future, so that we may mend your impression of our hotel.

Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We recently stayed the weekend here in a corner king room on the 17th floor. We drove in and hit Houston 5pm traffic. Not smart on my part. Pulled in to efficient valet service. Checked right in with no wait and had bellhop help us with the baggage. All the employees we encountered were first rate as this is a well managed hotel. We booked an extremely large corner king room with nice view of Houston. The "balcony" is a Juliet type balcony with aluminum guard rails that did not feel solid. If you have kids they probably need to avoid this. The room was very clean and the water pressure and temperature were excellent. There were some signs of minor wear but unless it is something big, it does not bother me.

The biggest plus for this hotel is of course the Galleria. This Westin opens right by the ice skating rink and I feel it is in a better location than the other Westin. We ordered room service three times, the food was good and the service was less than 30 minutes every time.

Now for the only bad thing on this trip. This hotel is serviced by four relatively small dispatch elevators. These are the new kind that have no inside buttons and you are "dispatched" a car by an outside panel. I am not sure if one or two of the elevators were out of service but response times were extremely slow. The first time we went to the pool I took the stairs from floor 17 to pool at 4. My wife and kid took the elevator. I beat them down. Now for the kicker. After a while at the pool, we reversed and I once again beat them going up! They had two full cars they passed up, then after waiting ten minutes they took stairs to 10. They then caught car up to 17.

The elevator was hit and miss like this entire trip. This was unusual because from what they told me, occupancy was low that weekend. It got to where we dreaded having to use the elevators.

Beside that, the location is king here, the rooms big and nice, and service exceptional. Maybe I caught a weekend where one or two elevators were out of service. I would stay here again but will request a lower floor next time to hedge my bet on the elevators.

1 Thank tmde
Dear Tmde,

We appreciate your review of your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We regret that our destination elevators caused a disruption in your stay. We were indeed in the midst of repairing one elevator while also hosting a very large convention. We sincerely apologize for the disruption in your stay that this caused. We are thrilled to hear that our staff assisted in providing you and your family with a memorable stay and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to continue hosting you during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.