“DO NOT STAY HERE. SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME.”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Houston - Humble/IAH Airport
Ranked #31 of 36 Hotels in Humble
Caldwell, Idaho
“DO NOT STAY HERE. SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This place was terrible. I was put up here on a voucher from Delta. I was given room 210. The room was terrible. Upon opening the door a strong odor of smoke hit me. There were cigarette burns on the floor, the table, and the bed spread. There was no remote for the TV.. You have to go ask for one at the desk. The curtain was broke.. the knob on the a/c was broke.. the towels were stained (bad).. The micro wave smelled of burnt pizza and a dish was left in it because there was no turn table. The sink was missing the plug in it and it was full of hair. The couch had cigarette burns and there and there were stained on the ceiling. I complain to Bennie... He said he could not give me another room.. He said that he could have someone remove the hair from the sink. I saw a couple with 2 children, who were also put there by Delta, went to take their 2 small kids to swim in the pool. They looked so cute and excited.. I walked over with them to the pool.. once inside the gate... The pool was green. The mom said, "sorry guys no swimming in here." Back to the room they went. Their room was not as bad and it was a non smoking room.. they did say that they were going to put some blankets over the sheets for the kids. They were very nice people.. No food close to the area to walk to. I could not sleep there. I asked them for my voucher back which he told me NO. I told them to just take me back to the airport. They said it would be a bit.. making sure it was after 9:00pm so the Delta terminal was closed. I slept at the airport on the chairs... Way better than the room. While there, 3 more people from the hotel showed up to stay at the airport too.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank ferrera141

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Irvine, California
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was booked here by Nationwide Hospitality Inc. for an interrupted business trip. The company Nationwide Hospitality was referred to me by United Airlines. The room was a disaster. It had an overwhelming smell of smoke that was overpowering and sickening. There were stains all over the carpet, marks in the wall, and cigarette marks on the toilet and furniture. I cannot believe this rubbish hotel is chosen for the United Airline's customers. On top of it, Nationwide "Hospitality" refused a refund. Never again will I use such a referral. After I complained to the front desk about the room, they refused to change my room. So I returned my key, and went outside to make arrangements for another hotel. Then, the front desk staff came out and started yelling at me that it was not "his fault" that the room was filthy, and he continued yelling at me and harassing me while I was waiting for a cab outside. I felt threatened and walked out of their property boundaries. It was an unbelievably horrible experience while stranded during travel.

Room Tip: Go to another motel or hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kaleidoscope
Novato, California
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I read the negatives and was hesitant to stay here but I was in a rush and I'm not as fussy (single male traveling alone). I was passing through Houston and needed to park my car for a week while I flew out of country.
The room was acceptable for a cheaper motel. Actually I thought it was above average for an econo lodge but it was a bit pricy too. It was big and had a nice TV. Shower was good, AC worked, bed was acceptable. They used too much perfumed cleaning solution and I got a reaction from that.
My biggest problem with the place however was the airport shuttle. I scheduled a 5am shuttle for a 7:15 international flight. At 4:50am they called my room to make sure I was awake and ready to go, which of course I was. I thought that was nice of them. I went down at 4:55. Nobody was there. At 5am I rang the bell and a man came out and said the driver will be right out. OK, fine. 5:05 nothing. 5:10 I look at the guy and stick my arms out. He goes in the back for a minute and says she'll be right out. I'm getting very antsy. At 5:15 she finally comes out. Wife of the owner. I'll call her Mrs. Singh, if you get my drift.
I drove an airport shuttle for 4 years and I was NEVER late. Totally unacceptable. Especially for the first run of the day. She could have thrown her hair in a pony tail and put on a hat and gone back to sleep after she got 'home'. I made my flight without any issues but I wasn't happy, especially since they called me at 4:50.
Then to make matters worse, on the ride home a week later, she was driving 70 mph in a 45 zone. A delivery truck pulled out in front of us (clearly their fault) but if she wasn't speeding she wouldn't have had to lock up the brakes and swerve to avoid it. Terrible driver.
I wouldn't stay here again if it was free.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 18 February 2014

When I made the reservation, they assured me I would have a room. It was after midnight and I was exhausted. When I got to the hotel I had to wait 30 min for a desk clerk to appear and he told me they had been sold out since 6pm. Trip Advisor should have know this

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Highland, Utah
Reviewed 13 February 2014

My wife and I were traveling. Our flight into Houston was late and we missed our connecting flight. We had to find a last-minute hotel to stay the night. This hotel looked like it might be okay based on the reviews. Boy, what a mistake.

We made a reservation through Expedia for a non-smoking room with two queen beds. Expedia listed the room as non-refundable.

We called the hotel for the free shuttle. That ride should have been our first clue. The driver drove way too fast, hitting 70 MPH+ in 45 MPH zones. We arrived at the hotel in one piece, thankfully. We checked in and got our room key. We went to the room and found that the key card would turn green, but we could not open the door -- the door handle was broken and was hanging limply. I walked back to the front desk and explained the situation. The desk employee seemed surprised. He walked back with me and was able to open the room by using his key. He said that this was he last available room. Of course, that meant we were unable to leave the room or we would not be able to get back in. When he opened the door, we were about knocked over by the smell of cigarette smoke. There were ashtrays in the room. Obviously, not a non-smoking room. There was a single King size bed in the room -- where were the two queen beds I reserved and received confirmation for? Where was the non-smoking room?

The A/C - Heater unit was unplugged. I plugged it in, and tried to work the unit. The temperature control knob was missing. I fiddled with the setting knob and managed to get the unit working, but that lasted only a few minutes before the unit died. I called the front desk and explained the situation, he said he would take care of it. No one ever showed up, and we froze all night.

The electrical outlets in the room were so worn that when we plugged in our cell phone chargers, they fell back out. We had to brace them to keep them from falling out.

The bed sheets had ink and other stains. The pillows were worn out and uncomfortable. The bedding smelled of smoke. The mattress was barely passable as a place to try to sleep.

The walls and ceiling were covered with smears, smudges, and grime. The bathroom wall had writing and graffiti on the wall. The towels were thin and scratchy.

The bathroom light fixture was dirty and missing the cover. The toilet tank cover was broken. There was something smudged on the front of the toilet bowl.

My wife and I decided that we would have been happier staying at the airport and trying to sleep in the terminal. This was the worst hotel stay we have ever experienced. We have crossed Econo Lodge off our list, permanently.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve M
Freeport, Texas
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I booked the room online with an employee rate through choicehotels.com for $25/night. When my husband & I arrived, the owner was rude & told me that he would not honor the rate and charged me $39.night. We took the room which was ok, the beds were not Choice Hotel approved beds, the shampoo was a sample pack, the bathroom towels were nasty, and the laundry room had broken equipment. I called Choice Hotels and complained and was told by them that he had to honor the rate I was quoted which he finally did. I made the reservation for 4 nights, but only stayed for one because if his attitude.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you absolutely have too.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Donna S
Saipan, Mariana Islands
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Choose Econlodge as it was close to shopping and restaurants. I had no great expectations.It was as advertised. Good value.
Odd that their shuttle did not operate until after 6:00 pm in the evening.It was operating for my morning flight.

• Stayed December 2013