“a little bit creepy and grubby”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huntsville
Oakview Manor Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Huntsville B&B and Inns
“a little bit creepy and grubby”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here one night on our way to Dallas because of the good reviews. We stayed in a lot of B&B ´s the last years and were always satisfied with the accomodation / surroundings.
At the B&B we were the only guests in this night,even the owners were not staying there.The property is set back from the main road in a small wood, which indeed is very beautiful in itself, but not when you're all alone there.It was just very scary there.
Our room was nice and responsive, but we found trash from the previous guests in our room garbage can. It all seemed unfortunately only superficially cleaned. Since no other guests were there, you could also take a look in the other rooms.We were shocked when we saw that the rooms looked totally chaotic, as if five minutes before guests had departed.
However, the owner told us that he first had to test the orange juice in the fridge on its durability , because the last guests have been there over a week ago.
He has screwed the orange juice, sniffed and said we could drink it the next morning.
How much does a new pack of orange juice cost please? We felt bad and disgusted.
The breakfast was the next disaster.
The owner asked us if we would like something sweet for breakfast and some fruit.
Then we looked forward actually.In the morning we found some pre-packaged, greasy donuts from the grocery store and two apples on the kitchen counter.
Something skimpy and unappetizing we were not used to a Bed and Breakfast.
It was so disappointing ! !
Also the behavior of the owner was not exactly exemplary.We wanted to have breakfast at around eight clock, but the innkeeper knocked already at 07.30 clock at our room door to note our credit card dates for the stay. We had already given him this when we made the reservation by email. He has knocked so early because he had to leave for his actual fulltime job.
The Bed and Breakfast is operated by the owner couple only additionally to their main jobs and it shows unfortunately. Everything is a bit neglected. For example:The oven in the kitchen was extremely dirty and full of old drippings.The garden looked very wild and unkempt.
The seat cushions were outside for ages and have been all green and moldy.
In front of the carport everywhere were empty paint buckets and cans around.You could have done so much for this great property,but it seems the owners really have not enough time to handle their fulltime jobs next to the B&B. Really a pity.We will not recommend this B & B.

Room Tip: Don´t waste your money.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank JaninaandDaniel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have stayed at this B&B several times, and always have a wonderful time. The owners always greet us warmly when we check in, and they remember that we have stayed before. The rooms and bathrooms are always immaculately clean. The house and furnishings are very comfortable, although the bed is a little hard for my preference. The neighborhood is very quiet, and I have never had a problem hearing the neighbors, or other guests really. Often we book the whole weekend and there are no other guests, so we have the house to ourselves. Sometimes we go out into Huntsville to hit hiking trails, museums, and restaurants, and sometimes we just hang out. If the weather is nice they have a lovely patio and we love to sit out there with a bottle of wine in the evening and watch the stars, or cup of coffee in the morning and enjoy the still surroundings and a few birds chirping. It feels like a home away from home, it is so comfortable. We come here 3-4 times/year for a weekend getaway and often to celebrate our anniversary. Breakfast is usually from a local (delicious) bakery. Once the smoke detector was beeping (of course it started at 10pm), and the owner came out right then to fix it. Highly recommend this for anyone staying in Huntsville for a few days, or just passing through.

Room Tip: Oak Room is a large suite, very spacious, with private staircase from outside & an additional tw...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KathrynJ2379
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 5 December 2012

We booked the night of Nov. 23rd (Friday after Thanksgiving) -- we made our reservations 2 weeks ahead of time. After booking we found out that the down stairs rooms shared a bathroom -- it wasn't explicitly spelled out on the website. It wasn't a big deal to us as children under 12 were not allowed without prior arrangements and the inn keeper told us no one else was staying there that night.

So Friday morning the 23rd we were getting ready to leave DFW to head to Huntsville and I noticed an email from the inn keeper dated 5:30 PM on the 22nd (Thanksgiving). She was letting us know that a family with children had booked the house and we would be sharing the downstairs bathroom with children – she did say that if that was an issue she wouldn’t charge our credit card. I tried to call her several times over the course of the next 2 hours and even left a message, but I never received a return call. I even emailed her to try to get a response, so at 11:00AM I emailed her again stating that we would not be checking in that evening as she couldn’t even return a call and that I didn’t appreciate the extremely short notice we received.

I am very disappointed with the POOR service and the fact she sent an email to let me know that they were changing their policy for the weekend we choose to stay at their B&B. I would also like to point out she had 2 phone numbers for us and she should have called to let us know about the policy change. I’m very lucky I checked my email before we left and we will never consider this B&B for our future trips.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank John and Desire... C
Reviewed 26 September 2011

My husband and I have know Rick and Denise for over 15 years and had been wanting to stay at Oakview Manor since they opened for business. We had never had the opportunity until this past weekend and I regret not making the effort to stay there before. It was wonderful! No cold, impersonal hotel room for us anymore when we're in the Huntsville area. How nice to have a home away from home because that's what Oakview Manor is. Rick was wonderful and anything we needed he would've been more than happy to get for us. I was concerned about not having an ironing board but in addition to the ironing board they have a whole laundry room too! It was just great! Everything was spotless, they have wifi, it's just minutes from anywhere in Huntsville! I definitely recommend Oakview Manor to anyone needing a place to stay. The grounds are spacious, perfect for outdoor activities. I think the best thing is how secluded it is. It's like your own little oasis in the middle of everything else. Even though it's close to the highway, you can't tell it. Very peaceful and restful. We loved it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Oak Room which has an outside door with stairs to the parking area.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Glindathegoodwitch
Humble, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Our scrapbooking group of friends makes the trip from Houson once a quarter to this wonderfully quaint bed and breakfast. The weekends are fun, and a great time for for all of us. I would highly recommend Oakview Manor to anyone looking for a good location for a group, family reunion, or just for a wonderfully serene weekend getaway.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank erock879
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I ended up in Huntsville, TX on business for a couple of days and found this little bed and breakfast far better than any hotel I possibly could have stayed at in the area.

Denise greeted me upon my arrival and was super nice to deal with. She was personable and pleasant and gave me a quick tour of the home. She made sure I had a map in hand of the area and a contact number should I need anything during my stay. Since I was there on business, I really didn't have time for a full sit-down breakfast, but Denise made sure I had just want a liked and everything I needed.

This B&B offers all the comforts of home, cable, wi-fi, a full kitchen and dining room, a sun room, and it had a nice deck outside with furniture that you could enjoy if you wanted to sit outside and enjoy the outdoors. So, there is a lot of square footage to enjoy, other than a tiny little room you would get at a local hotel.

It was very clean and the bed was comfortable, so a good night's sleep was had. There are also board games and puzzles, magazines and neat litle artifacts about the home and Huntsville to pass the time.

So, if you end up in Huntsville, whether business or pleasure, this place is well worth the money and checking out!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank HoustonCSR
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Set back from busy highway & screened by trees and bushes this was a great place for a big family get together while enjoying Huntsville area. Huge lawn with many trees plus open space. Boys, Girls and Adults all enjoyed "baseball" with a bat and soccer ball while supper was cooking on the grill. Plenty of room in the house for simultaneos card games on the enclosed porch and board games in the dining area. Very nice kitchen.
Well located with easy access to both town and country via highway 75. Great time together for us grandparents with both most of our kids and grandkids in this year of our 60th wedding anniversary!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family