“Not a bad place at all”

Ranked #1 of 3 Huntsville B&B and Inns
San Antonio, Texas
“Not a bad place at all”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I read other reviews, and some are correct....it isn't the Hilton, but it isn't a bad place to stay. I was there for a week for a work related school. Upon arrival, check in was smooth and quick. I was in my room within 5 minutes. The room was clean when I arrived, and was kept clean daily by the staff. The iron in the closet was a bit "weathered" and didn't work properly. A simple trip to the front desk and it was replaced. A decent enough breakfast was provided, if you desired. I did not use the hotel fitness room, as we were allowed to utilize the campus gym, which was a great benefit! For me personally, I found my stay to be comfortable, and the staff professional and helpful. Depending on why you would stay there, location is a big plus also.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank hpd582

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Antonio
Reviewed 3 December 2012

As the other reviewers have said, location is the main drawpoint of this hotel. Right on the campus, across the street from the football field.

I was here on business, so it worked out great for me to be able to walk right out of the hotel onto the campus.

Room was fine, pretty average. Beds were only OK - kind of hard and only double in size. Didn't have the breakfast,so I can't speak to that. Free wireless that worked well and fridge in the room. Pretty reasonable price. The decor isn't great but doable for a quick business trip, but I imagine most aren't really vacationing here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Texas
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,705 helpful votes
Reviewed 4 November 2012

If you have reason to be on the campus of Sam Houston State University for a couple of days, the University Hotel is a convenient and reasonable place to stay. The hotel, which is part of the George J. Beto Criminal Justice Center, is with in walking distance to almost everything on campus. The rooms are large, clean, and have recently undergone renovation. Breakfast is included with the room. The staff with whom I came into contact were friendly and accommodating. If I were to offer a criticism, I would have to say the walls were a bit thin as I could hear people next door. I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and I would be inclined to book it again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor if possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank CJTravelerTexas
Houston
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I first heard about the Hotel when I was visting my son for a football game. Kind of skeptical about it, I took a chance and realized I made a great decision. It's right on campus so I didn't have to travel far to reach my son. The student at the front desk was very friendly. My room was very clean and looked new renovated. My favorite was the bowl sinks in the bathroom. Very creative. The breakfast was amazing compared to Marriot and Comfort Suites where I've stayed previously. The University Hotel was definitely be my first choice whenever I'm in Huntsville.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank David G
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here two nights for a local ultramarathon race. The rate I received was stellar b/c school was not in session at that time. The check-in/out was painless. Hotel reception was warm and friendly (student, I think). The included breakfast was fine for what I needed (banana, oatmeal, bagels, etc. - perfect ultra food). They allowed me to have late checkout for a nominal fee. I would stay here again under similar circumstances.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Frank S
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We took a chance on this hotel because it is directly on campus. It is connected by a bridge to the Criminal Justice building and about 3 blocks from my son's residence hall. We were pleasantly suprised as the rooms were clean, tidy and looked to have been recently renovated. Rates were comparable to the chains out on the interstate. Staffed by college students who were great ! The AC was a little iffy but more than adequate. Microwave, fridge and flat screen tv in the room. Free wi-fi. This will definitely be my choice for the next 4 years.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank EVVellen
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stumbled across this hotel while squinting at the campus map for Sam Houston State University. It turned out that it was cheaper than most of the other roadside hotels and being right on campus, it meant it would save me parking hassle for my visit to the school.

I'm glad I took a chance on this hotel despite not seeing any TripAdvisor reviews. It was a gem. The room was huge, clean, and seemed fairly new. The staff was friendly and they had a pretty decent breakfast buffet. It did feel a little strange to be spending the night basically in one of the campus buildings, but once inside my room it felt any other nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business