“Small location but Nicely Put Room”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Huntsville
Houston, TX
“Small location but Nicely Put Room”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The location of this property is great, the staff was very courteous and friendly. The property is a bit older but for the age it is nicely kept. I enjoyed the small breakfast in the morning! I would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed here on my way from Dallas to Houston. Unfortunately the weather was very bad the next morning with a tornado doing some damage to the town at 8:35 AM. The whole city was blacked out, including the motel. Luckily the motel was not damaged, but it was difficult to see to pack my bags and check out of the motel without lights. I could not get a receipt at the office due to the lack of electricity. I know this was not the fault of the motel, because it was an act of nature, but it did make me associate this motel with an unfortunate situation, and there was nothing that particularly great about the motel. It was just a place to spend the night. Due to my experience, I would probably find another place to stay the next time I'm traveling between Dallas and Houston.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TallTexWally
Edna, Texas
Reviewed 5 April 2010

The only good things about this place are that the bathroom had been mostly updated and it offered a separate bedroom nook and TV for our teenager. But the old musty carpet, old bedspreads and weird blue bedsheets made it disgusting. The building is very old and it needs a total overhaul. The hot water was rusty brown, even after running it for a really long time. Only one of the three of us was brave enough to take a shower, and he said the shower-head sprayed water out the side. The room just felt nasty and stale and we couldn't wait to get out of there. Take my advice, spend more and stay somewhere new.

Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Huntsville hotels

Okie
Reviewed 6 March 2009

The room we reserved was with a queen bed/nonsmoking. For the price, I expected the worst, but the entire room was neat, tidy and quite spacious. Yes, even the bathroom was spotless.

I must agree that the hotel staff are quite welcoming and friendly. This was an unexpected "hidden jewel" on a long journey home.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Pensacola
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We have stayed here twice and would stay again. The room was very clean, bed linens clean and the bathroom appeared to have been renovated latey. Staff very, very friendly and nice.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WaveriderPensacola
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 25 May 2008

We checked in at midnight. We called ahead of time to let them know we would be late and they are the friendliest staff. We checked in and walked into our room. Moldy smell from the very beginning. Carried our stuff in and noticed carpet was extremely dirty. Chunks of what appeared to be mud on floor and other junk. Bag of gummy worms dropped next to desk? Bed had plastic over the mattress sticking out and board that supported the beds that stuck out so you tore up your legs if you walked too close. The bed has a kick plate about 5 inches in and if this place was ever vaccumed, they might notice all the junk that is left from one guest to the next. Walked into the bathroom, toliet obviously not scrubbed on the inside for a long time..... Feces around the toliet paper roll. Soo much grime on the tile floor, it made you wonder why they did white with white grout. If you are not going to clean this then choose a dark color so no one knows. Did not take off my shoes the entire time I was there for fear of catching anything. Sheets and towels appeared to be clean. Decided it was too late to check back out, we should just rough it. Told my daughter to pretend you are camping, she stated the bathrooms are cleaner at campgroups. Got ready for bed and left all bags zipped up tight. Woke the next morning after 4 hours sleep and wondered what I could do about this mess. I jumped in the shower and realized the drain did not drain properly, I took less than 5 minutes because I knew my husband and daughter had to take a shower after me because we had appointments to view the college. My daughter had to shower with standing water in the bottom of the tub. She got out and then my husband wanted fix the tub so he would not have to stand in the dirty water. I told him not to clear their messy drain, it was not his job. While he was showering my daughter and I both at the same time saw a cockroach crawl accross the bottom of the TV. That was the final straw. We packed up our stuff and I was going to say something at the front desk but it was crowded and did not want to make a scene, after all the staff had been curteous on the phone and in person and this was not their problem but rather management that obviously 1 does not care or 2 does not check up on their cleaning staff. We checked into the La Quinta next door for $10 more a night and our stay we from a 1 to a 10. Do not stay in the hotel unless you are very desperate. When we tried to book the La Quinta they were booked online, so I thought the econo lodge would suffice. Thank goodness that spaces opened up at the LA Quinta when we needed them the second night.

• Liked — front desk staff
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Europe
Reviewed 27 April 2008

I stay in the econolodge once a year when I visit a friend in the huntsville unit. The staff remembers me and they are very friendly. The bathrooms have been renovated and are clean and easy to shower in. All in all value for money: a good, clean room close to the I45 and the main street in Huntsville. SInce I am from Europe, I have stayed in many hotels in the USA and this one is the best in their value for money range. Keep up the good work!

• Liked — Value for money. A clean room for a good price
  • Disliked — Breakfast was limited
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)