“Not Bad For The Money”

Mi Hacienda
Ranked #58 of 141 Restaurants in Hurst
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Not bad Tex Mex .. The atmosphere is average and the service is good. The prices are average $$ and the food is pretty good.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

For years, at this store we’ve been getting Pulido’s nice, thick dinner napkins with the Pulido’s logo on them, even though all the signage and documentation to this place said it’s name was Mi Hacienda. I don’t know the history behind that, but they have finally changed the sign and re-branded the place as a Pulido’s restaurant.

I dropped in on them today in the middle of the afternoon, specifically wanting the lower prices and smaller portions of the lunch menu. For a change, I got the fajita special lunch but picked chicken, which means it cannot be fajitas in my mind. Fajitas are made from skirt steak, and since this store has never served skirt steak, what they want to call fajitas is not genuine fajitas. Their beef fajita plate is made from cuts of beef that are far too tender to be skirt steak, and real skirt steak has a flavor unlike any other cut of beef.

Discarding all political correctness with their recipes, the place is pretty good. They could improve on their chips a little – they are awfully thick. The lunch fajita plate includes enough tortillas, guacamole, a generous portion of bell pepper and onion, and your choice of chicken or beef. They should include sour cream and pico de gallo with this plate, but they don't. They don’t bother with the sizzling skillet, and it doesn’t diminish the dish even a little bit. Neither does it come to your table spattering grease for you to dodge. Scores of Mexican restaurants claim they serve authentic Mexican food, and in reality not a one of them does. They serve what they can sell, and that’s a hodge-podge of tex-mex recipes. It is “authentic TEX-mex” cooking, which is anything but authentic Mexican cooking.

The people there are friendly, and the servers are experienced, having worked for the store for many years. Likewise Eddie Lopez has led this store many years, and everyone knows their jobs well. They own about a dozen restaurants in Tarrant Co, and stretching west about 100 miles, and they have been successfully in business for many years. The Pulido’s brand has been a part of this area since Jesus was a little boy, providing good values, and good service for a fair price over a period of decades. You won’t have a problem with this company.

They sell the imported Coca-Cola in genuine glass bottles, which definitely tastes better than fountain, cans, or plastic. They call it “Mexican Coke,” and I hate to tell them there is no such thing – Coca Cola is tightly controlled, and the same world-wide. The pricing is premium for these bottles, and I guess calling it “Mexican Coke” is supposed to justify the added cost. I buy them because it tastes better in glass, I refuse to acknowledge “Mexican Coke” exists. They also sell beer, but I think tha't it - there are no mixed drinks.

I would recommend this store to another for what they sell, and it’s almost assured I’ll be back unless I get hit by a bus or something.

1  Thank Arnold_Ziffel
Reviewed 16 September 2012

My family has been going here for years. I think they recently changed the name but still decent food at a good price. We have never had to wait due to it being off the beaten path. Very nice people and have always had great service.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

The restaurant has officially changed the name to Pulido's now. I usually order the fish tacos - genrous order of 3 tacos and charro beans - I take one taco home with the remaining lime/jalapeno dressing. My husband has ordered the house special steak several times and alwalys enjoys it. Service has always been very good.

Reviewed 3 December 2011

This restaurant doesn't bear the Pulido's brand, but it sure belongs to them. I stop by infrequently for lunch, and to date what I have gotten is adequate. It's a bit annoying that they don't offer sour cream with their fajitas, but the rest of the menu is just fine. They offer genuine Coca-Cola in glass bottles imported from Mexico, and nothing tastes quite as good delivered in anything but glass. Their dinner menu is a bit pricey as far as I'm concerned considering the ingredients in all tex-mex are the cheapest things anyone can buy in a grocery store, and saturated with spices and other stuff to hide the fact that the grade is just bad. That's just a feature of any kind of tex-mex, and if you are able to discard the lard, and low grade meats used in all this type cooking this restaurant is as good as any. For the product, yes, I would recommend it for family dining, and I'm sure I'll be going back over there sometime in the future. I don't drink, but I think you can buy a beer in there.

1  Thank Arnold_Ziffel

Been to Mi Hacienda? Share your experiences!