“Horale!”

Rio Grande Tex-Mex - Hutto
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Hutto
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I am not really a fan of TexMex or Mexican food in general, so when I say I like this place, take that with whatever grain of Margarita salt you choose.

So being in Hutto, restaurant choices are not plentiful outside the fatty fast food chain variety, which is what brought me here in the first place...that and the fact that it was the only place I heard of that makes a BeerRita within a super close driving radius of my house.

That being said, I don't stray off my "usual" order, which is a BeerRita and a shrimp, mushroom, spinach quesadilla; the reason being, you don't fix what isn't broken. I LOVE the swirl margs w/a mini beer dunked in it (a BeerRita for those who are not in the know) here because not only are they reasonably priced (especially during la Hora Feliz) but because instead of the standard CoronaRita, I have options (I always go XX now, but have tried the Pacifico option which is lighter and delicioso as well!). And for someone that cannot handle spicy, the shrimp, mushroom, spinach quesadilla has all the sabor I adore! Granted this is not specifically on the menu (I add the shrimp for a nominal upcharge), it is super filling with a side of guac and sour cream!

The standard comp chips and salsa are pretty decent and the service is always stellar, which for this half Mexican girl in Hutto, is as "rio" (see what I did there?) as I need or want it to get...Horale!

1  Thank Leila R

Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I eat here every now and again. The food and service wavers. Some times the food is Meh... Some times the food is great. Some times the service is horrible ...some times the service is ok. So its really both. I like the atmosphere is good.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My family and I decided to have dinner here after seeing that the parking lot was always packed. It was the biggest mistake ever. The queso tasted like someone dropped a sweaty gym sock in it and let it cook. I ordered the stuffed avocado and they put that same queso cheese in the dish. My husband's tacos were so salty they weren't edible. I will never eat at this place again. I hear the margaritas are really good, so maybe you have to be drunk to enjoy the food.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

As a local resident with celiac disease - Rio Grande has consistently provided a safe alternative to eating at home and the margaritas are the best around. Good, safe food at a fair price and the staff is willing to go above and beyond if you need something. Very busy during rush hour so if you need a little extra, try to go outside peak rush restaurant times. If a place is hopping at peak times and the staff remains constant - obviously things work and this is why we return often.

1  Thank Cindy A
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Since we are locals, this is our go-to Mexican food restaurant. They are very consistent and have really good food. Their margaritas and Mexican martinis are great :) The service is very quick and the wait staff is polite and attentive.