“Great Evening” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vari - CLOSED

Vari
Price range: US$11 - US$19
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Kent, UK
“Great Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I went to Vari last night with some friends. It had been recommended and the menu looked interesting. I agree with a previous reviewer that it is not your usual Indian Restaurant but not that the menu was limited and 'somewhat strange'. I found that it had a good choice and there were plenty of things that I wanted on the menu.

The portion sizes were generous. There were 5 of us in the party and we opted to share a couple of sharing platters. For main, most of us chose the crab which was delicious. It was really well presented with the curry coming out insided the empty crab shell. It looked great and came with rice and naan so you didn't even have to order that seperately.

We had coffee (or tea) and a couple of people were drinking and the bill came to £30 each which I was more than happy with.

The restaurant wasn't busy so the atmosphere was quiet. The music was a mix of things like Sister Sledge and indian music. I preferred the Indian music but that is just personal choice!

The decor is great too. I love the beams in the older part of the restaurant.

The only negative for me was that the car park was packed and the restaurant wasn't even that busy. I managed to park down the road in the community hall so even that wasn't the end of the world.

I definitely plan to return, this time with hubby to see what he thinks of it. Next time I'm ordering the partridge....even if you do have to order 24 hours in advance!!

• Visited December 2013
5 Thank scruffykaz

Rainham, Kent
“Delicious food, shame about the service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

We've visited Vari many times before and always found it superb. We couldn't say the same this time.
We visited on a Saturday night at 8pm. The service throughout the evening was poor. We had to ask four times for a wine glass! The menus have changed to cheap laminate things which made us feel as if we were in a burger bar. The dessert menus were grubby sheets of paper.

This used to be our favourite restaurant - lovely ambience, fab service and lovely food. The overall experience is not anywhere near as good but the food is still lovely.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stumpy74
“lovely evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

went t vari last night had punjabi chicken it was lovely my wife had the venison as usual the food was to die for we love coming to this restaurant that we don't go anywhere else now as we enjoy it so much here.the staff are lovely and work hard to give you the dining experience you require we both agree this is a special place we enjoy going for our date night see you in 4 weeks

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Wood50
Kent, United Kingdom
“Not your usual Indian Resturant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Loved the decor. Loved the bar area. Loved the ambience. The menu is limited and somewhat strange, but the food is nice enough. Bit expensive. There was not enough staff one most seemed to be new. that said, the staff there worked really hard though. The wine was simply put on the table (no cooler). The draught lager was all off except for Kimgfisher. Not impressed but that, Saturday and the Peroni, San Miguel had run out before we arrived and then the Cobra run out half way through the evening - that is not good planning! The cocktails are lacking.

I liked the place, worth a visit, but they need to up their game to keep people coming back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
kent
“11/10/2013 great night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Went to the vari lastnight with my husband and friends as usual the food was gorgeous this is by far the best restaurant the staff can't do enough for you I feel the negative reviews on trip advisor are a bit unfair I've been going to this restaurant for a couple of years now and I've never had a problem with anything I do not feel there to expensive as you get good quality food for what you pay for. As for wine it's always more expensive in nice restaurant,s your not going to get a glass of wine and a curry for a tenner in the vari. Im sure the owner wants a certain standard for his restaurant with good food good staff and running a successfull business I've been taking all my friends to the vari there now taking there friends and so on me and my husband love the vari and will continue to support this great restaurant love it .

• Visited October 2013