“Good stay but odd suite”

Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving
Ranked #22 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Atlanta
“Good stay but odd suite”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Location seemed pretty off the beaten track and was a distance from the rental car return so don't think that because it's an "airport" hotel it's a quick 5 minute journey. It took a good 20 minutes and that was without traffic as it was crack of dawn flight. However hotel itself was good: friendly welcome, pleasant atmosphere around the bar area almost encouraged me to have a drink but with only 6 hours before I had to get up I took a pass. I was delighted to hear I'd been upgraded to a suite when I checked in, but on getting to the room my suite consisted of the usual bedroom plus a meeting room complete with boardroom table to seat 12 people. Not quite what I expected and not much use for a single traveller ! That being said the bedroom itself was fine, good decor, hair dryer, comfy bed, no noise from corridor, other rooms or external. All in all a quick but good stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Roman D, Manager at Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hi UKSarahAtlanta,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay for the most part while staying with us recently and decided to post your feedback here on this site.

Sorry to hear about the delays you experienced getting to the airport. DFW Airport is certainly more sprawling than most airports and this can make for a little bit of a longer commute than you would expect from an airport hotel. Many of our guests opt to return their cars the night before and have us bring them back to the hotel, as to save some time in the morning hours. Let the front desk know if you would like to take advantage of this the next time you are with us.

I am also sorry for the confusing room-type. Although that is technically an upgrade and most people do enjoy the extra space, it is always a good idea to let you know EXACTLY what type of suite you are being upgraded to. I will follow up with my staff and ensure that we get better at this.

Thank you for your feedback and hope to see you again soon!

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Traveling on business, I had booked this hotel for a 6 night stay. I was familiar with this property as I had been there in October of 2013. But what a nice surprise to see all the rooms were renovated. They did a great job! As always, the front desk staff, Bistro and room service were all wonderful. Their level of service is way better than some other 5 star properties I had stayed at. Yes you need a car to get anywhere, but that was not an issue for me.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hi Travelchick20,

We are so excited that you enjoyed the new rooms and that our staff has been taking such good care of you. Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an exceptional and productive stay. We thank you for your feedback and look forward to having you back.

Calgary
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I'm jealous of the previous poster, because he was first to mention the plugs and charging ports in the renovated rooms. What a treat! And its what every hotel should be aspiring to .... There were at least 4 dual plug + USB panels throughout the room. One on each bedside table... I had just finished a 4 day motorcycle trip, and had at least 4 devices that needed charging. Kudos to this room design!

Bed was fluffy, fresh, clean and comfortable.

Staff service at this property was also very attentive. I just got the overall impression that these folks were on their game. From the front desk to the bistro, to the shuttle driver, I never felt neglected. Well done.

The only downside to this property is the location. If you do not have a vehicle, there are no other restaurants within walking distance, and you are in a commercial park. Not unpleasant, just a bit sanitized.

However, it really fit the bill for a quick overnight at DFW with a free shuttle service to the airport.

Paid just over 100$ usd, which for me was a great value. My company wasn't payin' for this one ....... ; )

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Roman D, Manager at Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Kottbullar,

Thank you so much for posting your positive feedback here on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed the increased functionanality of our new design. Those outlets are a hit! It was great to hear that you enjoyed our staff as well. I will be sure ti pass your kind words along. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.

Bellevue
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Just three weeks ago, the rooms renovation (and hallways carpeting replacement) was completed. I understand that this is the first Courtyard by Marriott in the Dallas area to have the new "look" which is very cool and contemporary. You could still smell the freshness of the new carpet. I love the new furniture and how business friendly the rooms are now. Several electrical outlets have newly added USB power charging capability. The lighting system makes the room brighter.

Service is exceptional. I was picked up at the airport within 10 minutes of calling for a shuttle bus. Front desk had my electronic key ready upon arrival and I was in my room in seconds. They were just as courteous in the morning when I needed a ride to the nearby DFW Marriott Hotel -- just 5 minutes away. (Marriott Hotel is a great place to rent a Hertz car and save on taxes and fees from the DFW airport car rental facility.)

The fitness room is quite large for a typical Courtyard, loaded with good, new equipment -- both cardio and weights. Free bottles of water in the fitness room, towels, etc. Breakfast is the standard new Courtyard breakfast menu -- dependably good and reasonably priced.

In the end, however, I slightly downgraded this property because of value....the price paid ($189) was just too high for this location, even with all the new goodies. After all, it's just a Courtyard and shouldn't command a price over $150 per night.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are newly renovated, so take your pick!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Roman D, Manager at Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Hello mshbnyehud!

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor and glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

I am sorry that you felt the rate was too high and I would be curious to know what day you stayed. Thursday April 3rd through Monday April 7th was virtually a special events time span for all of Dallas and Ft. Worth, with NASCAR and The Final Four in town. Our rates,along with every hotel within a 20 mile radius of the events were higher during this time. The same goes for a variety specific days of peak demand throughout the year. I say all that, to say this; Our rates are not normally what you paid. Our average rates both during the week and the weekends are more or less consistent with the other Courtyards in our area. For example, out of the five Courtyards serving the DFW area, we were the second lowest for a Tuesday night stay next week. The highest three were north of 169.

I hope this clarifies the way we structure our rates and I would also implur you to call us directly if you are encountering some rate restraints. We do our best to work with our guests and ensure they are getting the best deal for their money.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is a nice option if you need to stay over at DFW. For the price, it perhaps even deserves an excellent / 5-level rating. Rooms are reasonably spacious, have a modern design/look, and there is a nice little lobby with a Bistro. We will opt to stay here again if we need to overnight near DFW airport.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Roman D, Manager at Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hello Joan H!

We appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Courtyard by Marriott DFW North/Irving. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The facility is very nice and up to Marriott standards. We got a room by the elevator and we might as well have just slept at the airport. Between the elevator, ice machine and hvac that sounded like a freight train in the room, sleep was not easy. We waited for well over an hour for the shuttle bus at the airport. When the driver finally got there, he made no apology, only excuses. That continued with the check-in when further dismay was expressed about the waitt for the shuttle. Very disappointing and not at all what we have ever been treated like at a Courtyard before.

• Stayed March 2014
Roman D, Manager at Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear ShellyDeV,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback here. Firstly, I apologize for the areas that we fell below par, especially in the realm of guest service. We do pride ourselves in our ability to consistantly provide top-notch service. I assure you that your experience was indeed a rarity. I will address this issue with my staff and remind them that this is not how we treat our guests.

In terms of the room location. I implur you to reach out to the front desk when saying at any hotel, if the room location is not satisfactory. Most of the time we are able to accomodate a room transfer. That being said, I do undertsand that you most likely did not have the utmost confidence in our staff considering your first impression. I would also suggest that you ask for the manager's card in these situations. If you reach out directly, most managers will respond quickly and with a solution or compensation.

I hope we have another opportunity to serve you and show you what we are capable of. If you have any further concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at the hotel.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Great property, customer service and breakfast. Property is convienant to airport and other good restaurants / attractions in surrounding areas. Highly recommend in my opinion. The front desk personnel are exceptional.

Room Tip: Get a corner balcony if possible
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Roman D, Manager at Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Mark M,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post your positive feedback. I have passed your kind words along to my staff. We look forward to serving you again in the future but if there is anything we can do to assist you in the meantime, just let us know.

Roman D.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irving
Homewood Suites by Hilton Irving - DFW Airport
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North
Comfort Suites DFW N/Grapevine
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving
Courtyard by Marriott Dallas DFW Airport North/Grapevine
Best Western Plus DFW Airport Suites

Been to Courtyard Dallas DFW Airport North/Irving? Share your experiences!