“Nice surprise”

Po' Melvin's Down Home Cookin
Ranked #56 of 629 Restaurants in Irving
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We were looking for some breakfast place we hadn't tried before and found this place on Yelp. It's in a strip mall and does not look all that inviting at first. The inside is kind of early 80's - paneling, older booths, "Cheers"-looking bar. The breakfast buffet is on tables in banquet warmers (no sneeze guards) - overall it looks kind of second-rate.

BUT - the food was great! They had omelets to order, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, french toast, pancakes, biscuits, gravy, fruit and cereal - all the "basics." The service was good, and the omelet maker even showed my son how he made bacon. The service was friendly, and we will definitely go back sometime.

1  Thank Aquaria

Reviewed 15 February 2013

I have been eating here for years (20 years ago waste first time). They serve 3 vegetables with your entree . I love the meatloaf and always get a to go box because the large portions. I need to try that chicken fried steak but I just can't tear myself away from the meatloaf. Definitely try the fried okra and mash potatoes. The service has always been good.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

My waitress was attentive and actually did a pretty good job but the food was horrible! I ordered chicken fried chicken and fries and they were both cold and stale. Melvin's has really gone downhill since I visited last (4 or 5 years ago) and they lost a customer today. You can always say mistakes happen but when you pay $10 and your food is cold and stale, that's not mistake. The manager should be ashamed and he should fire his kitchen staff.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Good "home cookin'" - served quick by a friendly staff. Reasonably price and is located in a small strip mall with plenty of parking. Large portions served up from the kitchen HOT.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

its a nice hole in the wall, thats a great place if you're starving for some decent comfort food. its very cheap and a pretty cozy place to eat. the service is pretty good as well. i always get the chicken fried chicken.