“This Isn't Going To Be Pretty”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas
Ranked #36 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I'm not sure where to start here due to so many issues. Let's start from the beginning. We stayed here from December 29th, 2012 to January 2nd, 2013 as we attended the Heart of Dallas Bowl game. Wi-Fi was a must as I had saved a lot of web pages related to what Oklahoma State events were taking place, what sites to visit while in Dallas, ect. So check in was easy and we get to the room, the laptop wouldn't connect to the wi-fi. I walk back down to the lobby and ask how to connect and then was told wi-fi had been down since before Christmas and there was no timetable of when it would be up again. It was down the entire time we were there. I received two answers of why it was not being repaired...they couldn't get anybody out for repairs and the other being the router that was ordered had not been received yet. So let's talk about the room now. This was my first time at a Holiday Inn Suites hotel but I have stayed at several other chain suites in the past so I am comparing tjhis room to them. It is on the smallish side. It had two doubles instead of queens and no queens are offered in this property. That was a first as the other places had two queens. These beds are barely acceptable when it comes to comfort. They are the least quality beds of the other chain suites I have stayed at. They were acceptable but just barely. The air conditioner never reaches the desired temperature and stops. It runs constantly and it is right by the beds so it is never quiet in the room and the unit is pretty noisy. This is the first place I have stayed at that didn't have any body lotion. Not a big deal but noticed. There is a small above the counter microwave in the room and a small refrigerator below it. There is a flat screen TV in the room, probably a 37 inch if I was guessing. It doesn't put out a great picture but it is fair. The bathroom is small. It has a tub with the shower nozzle about the tub. Water pressure was fine and the water didn't get cold so that was good. However, this hotel was vacant the entire time we were there so there were not any users taxing the water heaters. I can't say what would happen with there were people other than us there. The furniture is dated which is a little surprising as the Holiday Inn website shows this property was renovated in early 2009. Breakfast is again marginal. One day, egg omelets with some strange filling inside was served and thank goodness that never showed up again. All other days had eggs, bacon, biscuits, cereals, several kinds of yogurts, a pancake maker that was broke when we first arrived but was working before we left, bananas offered some of the time we were there. It's not a large breakfast bar but it is adequate for most I would think. Regarding the location, it is about 20 minutes from downtown Dallas, 10 minutes to the Grapevine Mills Outlet Mall, about 30 minutes to the outlet mall in Allen. There are no restaurants, stores, ect within walking distance so a car is a must at this hotel. To wrap this up, I was disappointed in Holiday Inn Suites to be honest. Of all the chain suites which I have stayed at in the past, this is the worst of the bunch. I would list them here but I don't know if that is allowed. However, I have reviewed them too so just pull up my other reviews and you will see which other chains I am referring to. The bottom line is there are much better choices available for the same cost.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ProPoke
Ben H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear ProPoke,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Irving Convention Center and thank you for also taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor. Without feedback from our guests we find it very difficult to anticipate guests’ needs and how we can improve the services provided. We would also like to apologize for the unfortunate inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We did have a hotel wide problem with the guest Wi-Fi during your stay that unfortunately was out of our control due to shipping services provided and the Holiday Schedule. Rest assured we did everything within our power to get the Wi-Fi back up and running as quickly as possible. We would also like to thank you for sharing your other concerns about the property with us. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback so we know in the future what we can do to better accommodate our guests. We look forward to you giving us another chance to earn your business the next time you are in the Dallas area.

Reviewed 25 December 2012

I wasn't sure whether to give 4 or 5 stars. This hotel is new and very nice inside. The room is well laid out with a nice living room area and a separate washing area from the shower/toilet. It also had a small kitchenette. Very nice.

Just a couple of minor things:
1. The alarm clock had not been set so it showed 12:00 all the time. I was very tired when I got in so did not fiddle with it.
2. I was visiting with a colleague, and our door keys did not work until they were set a third time. The front desk clerk looked mildly irritated that they would not work (both of us noticed that).

The breakfast is good but it started a little late for us. 6:30 am

Lots of parking.

Nothing else around, so it is a drive to any restaurant. In the one evening we were at the hotel early enough they had a light meal/snack in the form of corn chips, ground beef chili, nacho cheese and some salsa.

The wireless network is good, the code is on the door entry card cover (the clerk never told me that.

I'll stay there again - it is close to a lot of our customers and partners.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good - I stayed near the elevators and heard nothing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Longmont_Mitch,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Irving Convention Center and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers through TripAdvisor. Without feedback from our guests we find it very difficult to see the areas in which we can improve to make stays even better. Thank you for sharing the points where we did not exceed your expectations in regards to the alarm clock and the breakfast start time. We are exploring options with regards to the breakfast start time to ensure we can accommodate all our guests’ needs. We are working with the staff to ensure that all of the alarm clocks are set correctly as part of the cleaning process to alleviate this issue. Thank you again for your comments and the time you took fill out the review. We look forward to seeing you upon your next trip to the Dallas area.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

This is a typical Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites. It is well appointed and has everything except a bar and a restaurant but a full breakfast, which is quite comprehensive, is served daily.
We were very warmly welcomed by Nancy at the front desk, who greeted us with a smile and full recognition of our status in the Priority Club. The down side to this hotel is that it's pretty remote from entertainment, but they do offer a shuttle to nearby restaurants which stops at 9pm. Still it is very good value for a clean and charming hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear CliveTPR,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Irving Convention Center and thank you for taking the time to talk about your stay with TripAdvisor. It is only with feedback from our guests that we are able to see opportunities to improve our services. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with TripAdvisor. We look forward to seeing you in your upcoming trips to the Dallas/Fort Worth Area.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

This hotel is located next to the Convention Center and convenient to several major highways, main roads and a rapid transit station, but over a mile from any restaurants, shopping, gas stations, etc. A car is an absolute necessity to do anything except go to the Convention Center.

My wife and I spent three nights here and the hotel itself is very nice. The hotel lobby is large with a nice sitting area and TV's. Our room, a standard suite with no sofa bed, had plenty of room. The sitting area had a table, three chairs, one with an ottoman, floor lamp, desk and chair, and another small table with a desk lamp between the chairs. Our room also had a microwave and mini-refrigerator. And our room was very quiet. But on the negative side, the tub/toilet area was very small, and the sink outside this area had a small counter area. And ice machines were only on the 3rd. and 5th. floors. Our room had only wireless Internet access, which disconnected every evening of our stay, but easily reconnected.

And there were other things that did not meet our expectations. The front-desk staff was friendly but most of them were not at all familiar with the area and not knowledgable about restaurants in the area. And most of them could not help us when we asked for directions on how to get to places in the greater Dallas area, or even the fastest way to get to the Interstate heading East to avoid going throught heavy downtown traffic on the morning we left. The best they could do was look this up on their computer and print out the directions. Our TV had lots of channels but some of them, including the ABC network channel had only a very fuzzy picture and no sound, which limited us to what we could watch.

Breakfast was good, the standard Holiday Inn Express buffet plus an automatic pancake maker.

Overall, the hotel was clean, comfortable and quiet, which met our basic needs, but nothing more than this.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Thus was a newer HIE, but it was on an island. There were no restaurants or outside amenities anywhere near close to walking distance. I probably won't stay there unless I need to go to the convention center.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 19 September 2012

The HIE in North Colinas is fantastic. Everything feels brand new - the staff was superb, they were very interested in making my stay successful. The internet service was great, the lobby was clean and comfortable. The bed was great and I enjoyed my stay. It is easy to see this hotel from the hwy but it can be a little challenging for an out of town person to wind their way over to the hotel. But I will continue to stay here when in this area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike T
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Dear Travelers,

I am a very frequent traveler and unfortunately have to be on the road all of the time with pretty much unlimited spending money. I have to tell you this hotel is top notch amoungst the Holiday Inn chain and out does most mid-market hotels. They are incredibly friendly and sweet from the second you come in. I have stayed at other expensive hotels with more amenities but less hospitality. They do a daily managers happy hour with beer, wine and some food for not cost which allows a traveler to relax after a long day.

All of the Holiday Inn's should model themselves after this locations.

Thanks,

Jono Agurto
Johns Creek, Ga

Room Tip: stay longer
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business