“If you don't care about customer service or a reliable shuttle it's fine for a night, first 2 star review ever.”

Comfort Inn & Suites DFW Airport South
Ranked #46 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Langley City, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

The only reason I gave this a 2 star is because the bed was comfortable and after 2 weeks in Central America that was nice, however I've never experienced customer service as bad as what was received by the front desk "manager" Kent R... sorry in advance if this is going to sound like a rant.

We stayed here on a layover on our way home through Dallas. Also had a layover on the way TO Central America and stayed at Executive Suites next door which was the BEST airport hotel we've ever stayed in (separate review). Point of mentioning them is that when we got through arrivals on the way in, all I had to do was call Executive Suites and tell them what baggage carousel we were beside. They said, sounds good, just head out and go to the courtesy shuttle stand and the driver will be right there (and they were, literally within 2 minutes of reaching the spot).

When we landed on our way back, we were in the same terminal as we had been on the way in (terminal D). I called Comfort Inn (8:00pm) and the guy at the front desk (Kent) asked if we were at D1 or D40... I said I don't see anything that says either of those, but we're by baggage carousel D17. He said "I think you're near D40, so head out to the courtesy shuttle area and the driver will be there soon". We realized once we stepped out of the airport that we were right beside where we had been on our previous layover, so followed the signs and headed to the same courtesy shuttle stand we had used the first time about a minute walk out the door... no problem.

A few minutes later, I see the Comfort Inn DFW Airport South shuttle come down the road. We stood out from the sidewalk to wave it down (just in case... even though every SINGLE other shuttle had pulled in at least for a quick stop) and even though I was waving the van down with both arms, it drove right past the stop (and us) without even slowing down... let alone swing in to check for the guests it was supposed to pick up (2 other people were in the shuttle).

I ran back inside the airport (don't have a cellphone that works in the US) to call Comfort Inn to tell them that the shuttle didn't stop for us, and Kent replies, "he was at D40, you weren't there so he left". I said that I didn't know which was D40 and which was D1 (the stop just says "courtesy shuttle") so we must be at D1 then, but why didn't he stop in when he passed and I was waving him down and he knew we were waiting? Kent calls the driver and tells him to go to D1 (this is now at 8:20pm) and then came back on the phone and said the driver would swing around and be there in a few minutes.

I assumed that the driver would swing around to come and get us "in a few minutes" like Kent had said so ran back outside... even if he had gone all the way to the hotel and come right back, it is under 10 minutes each way, but 8:50pm rolls around after waiting 30 minutes from the last call and there is still no sign of the driver (in the meantime we have seen the other hotel shuttles stop in 3 or more times each, and EVERY one of them at least stopping in to check for people).

I run back in to call Comfort Inn again and Kent says, he'll be there in 3 minutes. I said that was what he told us last time and is he really coming because we've been waiting almost an hour... Kent assures me that he'll be there in 3 minutes... which of course was 15 more minutes and by the time the driver pulled up it was 9:05pm, over an hour from when we called for the shuttle... so much for going out for a nice last dinner and relaxing before our trip home in the morning, settled for fast food next door.

I could have accepted the terrible shuttle service had the follow up on this been remotely considerate, but the attitude of Kent at the front desk was totally disrespectful and rude. To start with, when we walked in the door, he was on the phone (no problem) and just pushed the paperwork with an "x" to sign beside and the room key across the counter... umm... don't you need to take my credit card info? Fine if they don't (I prepaid on a booking site), but every single hotel I've been to wants your credit card for incidentals and hmm... don't you need to somehow verify that I am the guest you're expecting? I'm sure it was safe to assume, but no credit card check, let alone speak to the person before handing over a room key?

I can tell now that he was hoping to avoid any sort of confrontation over the shuttle driver, but wouldn't any decent "manager" want an opportunity to apologize to the guest? Nope, not Kent! Since we had to ask about the morning shuttle, I stood at the desk and waited for him to get off the phone... and see if he was even going to acknowledge that we were an hour later checking in than we should have been. He hung up and said "will you be needing a shuttle in the morning?" I just looked at him in disbelief that this was all he was saying to us and replied that we needed one for 8:30am. "Sorry, that one is full to take people to Radio Shack".. (???) It says right on the sign at the front desk that airport transfers are priority, but he said you can go at 9am (our flight to Canada was at 10:30am)... I replied that after what had just happened I didn't trust that the driver would be there to leave at 9am and that would be cutting it really close if he was late to which Kent says, "you don't have to worry about that he's always on time". So we sign up for the 9am, still unable to believe that this is the only thing at all he's said to us and head to the room and then out to grab some quick food next door.

After giving it some more thought, we decide we don't want to risk leaving at 9am in case something happened (we had no carry on, so 90 minutes is always more than enough time for us with a US/Canada flight)... 8am is not ideal since a little extra sleep would have been nice, but I head down to talk to Kent again (notice the "If anything is not satisfactory with your stay, please let the front desk know right away so we can fix it" sign in the room) about the shuttle.

I said, "I'm still upset with what happened with our shuttle on the way here and we really don't want to risk being late on the 9am flight. I thought to help mend this, what if the hotel were to pay for a cab for us to go at 8:30 like we need to?" Kent's reply to this (I didn't actually care if we could get a cab paid for or not, at this point I just wanted any sort of acknowledgement) was "It was your fault that the shuttle didn't get you, you weren't at D40"... which caught me speechless. I said, the driver did not even apologize when he picked us up and you did not say a thing when we checked in, and he again replies, "I have nothing to apologize for because this was all your fault"... wow. I really did not want to start some kind of fight with him since it was obvious he lacked any sort of care in how to treat a customer so left it with, "we are moving to the 8am shuttle because we can't afford to be late if the 9am shuttle doesn't leave on time". He says, no problem and we switch shuttles.

All I wanted was some acknowledgement that they were sorry we had to wait so long. I don't know why he would set the pick up at D40 (wherever this is) after knowing our location which ended up being right beside what must have been D1. If your guest does not know the airport and steps out of it to see a sign pointing towards a courtesy shuttle a minute walk away, shouldn't they assume this is where they should be going. If every single shuttle has the time to at least swing in to check for guests, shouldn't they do this as well... especially if the guests were not at D40 for pick up... hmm maybe they are at D1 which they have to drive right by anyways. If your driver misses the pickup and the person has been waiting since 8:00 shouldn't they make it a priority (according to the sign at the front desk) to go right back to the airport to get them. Or I suppose it is easier for the front desk manager to say that it was out fault, ignore any greeting or proper paperwork/ID check at check in to hopefully avoid the guest, and then not even offer an apology when it is requested. Was incredibly unfortunate that after such a perfect holiday to have the trip end on this note with such poor customer service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank J9ie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

When we checked in Sunday evening, Angie (?) was great! Very friendly and caring. That's the only good thing I can say. The place is loud! A lot of hall noise and slamming doors at all hours. Also when I called the front desk Monday morning about a problem, the phone just rang and rang. After 3 tries and about 10 minutes I gave up. We left about 1230 and returned 10 hrs later to a room exactly like we left it! No maid service at all! When I called the front desk, to ask why he had no reason, just brought up towels. Check out Tuesday, stood at the desk several minutes & was never acknowledged. Finally got to me, no thank you, how was your stay, nothing! When I asked for a comment card, she said they are in the rooms, & didn't offer to get me one even tho I had just turned in the keys. Breakfast was the standard Choice fare- egg patties, greasy sausage, etc. but be on time because there is NO leeway on the time. The lady starts putting it up at 0925! All in all, if it hadn't been a prearranged, prepaid stay I wouldn't have stayed 2 nights!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Coachmom01
Defiance, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

A recent delayed flight made it necessary to stay near the airport. This Comfort Inn was a good choice. Staff was friendly, the room was quiet and the bed comfortable. They happily supplied us with the toiletries we couldn't get because our bags were still with the airline. Even though we got to the airport near midnight, their shuttle still picked us up.
The only complaint about the room was the lighting - too dark, especially near the sink and mirror. While the breakfast had a good variety, it wasn't ready at the 6am advertised. Since we had to catch the 6:30 shuttle, it felt rushed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank terry c
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We just took a trip to Hawaii for 8 days and used Comfort Inn as our parking location. It was a great value and very convenient getting us to and from the airport. Mark was our driver and he was a great beginning and end to our trip. We was very happy and positive the whole time, which you don't get all the time. Thanks Mark! Hope to get you as a drive again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacob S
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My sister and I spent 3 nights in the Comfort Inn and I think it's fair to say that the room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. Staff were very polite, friendly and approachable and greeted us with a smile each day. There was a free shuttle to the local shopping mall and as long as you arranged a pick up time, the driver returned to bring you back to the Inn. Don't expect punctuality as he was about an hour late but at least he did arrive...eventually! The shuttle bus makes regular (free) trips to and from the airport where we were able to take another bus (small charge) to the local Grapevine Mall. This bus made several stops on a round trip so your able to jump on and off to visit different places. The airport information desk provides you with a timetable of the bus route etc so made it really easy to plan the day.
Anyway back to the Inn, the biggest let down was the breakfast. There was a choice of 2 cereals, bread (toaster provided) jams, fruit (bruised bananas, oranges), waffle maker (mixture available to make yourself), yoghurt and cakes. Not exactly the best selection of food to start the day. I did notice a few hard boiled eggs at the bottom of the fridge on the last day but not sure how long they had been there so gave them a miss. Coffee was on tap and fruit juice and iced water also available. All in all I would say it was ok if your passing through and only need to spend a night there but otherwise I would give it a miss.

Room Tip: They are all pretty much the same.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela W
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Great location near the airport, easy to get there with gps help. Free parking. Next to a gas station and fast food place. The front desk attention is very polite and kind. Good breakfast included, waffles, eggs, toasts, cakes, yogurt, fruits, coffe, cereal, juices, etc. nice area to eat it. All the hotel was clean and neat. I didn't use the pool cause it was november. The laundry room was very helpfull, with good washing machines and dryers available for $1 or $1.25 (don't remember exactly how much). If I ever return to Dallas, I'll definitely go back to this hotel, everything was like the website photos, good service, the price was good and according to the service they give.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andreina R
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights with my family for the Cowboy/Packer game. The room was very clean. The safe in our room did not work and the beds were way too small for 3 adults. The bathroom is quite small. When I told the front desk about the safe issue she said I would have to wait for maintenance to come in 3 hrs. Well I had to be at the game so that wasnt going to help. So I had to turn down Maid service because I didn't want them in the room without my stuff being locked up. The hotel was reasonably priced and very convenient to getting around. Only 15 min from stadium. The breakfast was good, same as other hotels. This hotel does offer a free shuttle but only within 2 miles. They have a laundry room and its only 75 cents a load. Cheapest I found at a hotel. Bottom line: great hotel if u dnt want to pay a lot and stay somewhere without all the extras. I would stay again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family