“Old property showing its age”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North
Ranked #27 of 77 Hotels in Irving
US
“Old property showing its age”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We initially thought that we would be staying at HIE at 333 W John Carpenter Freeway (114), much higher rated hotel on TA (#10 when I wrote this review) than this hotel (#59).

The hotel is old, very close to DFW and the planes are very noisy, especially when you getting your belongings from the car. Seems like the plane will land right on top of you. Inside you can still hear the planes, but it much better and quieter.

The room is spacious with small kitchen, but our had not offensive, but unusual odor. The room seemed clean, the beds and the pillows (choice of firm or soft) were nice. The bath has separate shower and tub. Nice touch, though the toilet space is a bit tight. The old TV had limited channel selection and Starz as premium channel and is next to the bed, not facing it. Seems like an afterthought.

Denny’s is nearby, but there are any kind of shopping / restaurants 10 min away. Just beware that construction is going on at 114 and 121 (Grapevine) and the traffic is heavy in the afternoon.

The breakfast bar is copy of and the same as every other place. It is OK for a day or two, but it gets old very quickly after that. Not much to look forward with breads, eggs, yogurt, etc. and almost no fresh fruit (apple or two, that’s it).

This place is on southwest frontage road of 114 populated with many other hotel chains. If you need to be close to DFW you can check them out, though they will have the same landing planes issue, but if you prefer HIE I suggest the 5 mile or so drive south to what we thought was our original stay. Much nicer (even just looking from outside) and quieter place than this Holiday Inn Excuse.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Barron, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 June 2011

All flights from DFW were cancelled around midnight due to weather and the lines were long and slow waiting to be rescheduled for the following day. I'd had knee surgery 6 weeks earlier and was in great pain. The shuttle from the airline's discounted hotel didn't show after 2 hours so I called Holiday Inn Express and reserved a room for $89. They sent a shuttle within 15 minutes and gave me a beautiful 2 room suite. I used the computer in the lobby to schedule an earlier flight than the airline gave me saving 6 hours of waiting. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked out to only be charged $55+tax. I will definitely be back, wonderful place and great people!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jkp123456789
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I stayed at this Holiday Inn on a brief overnight, and believe you me, one night would have been more than enough (due to the 1980's decor), but keep reading! At around 4:30 AM the power went out, and did not come back on. Showering and packing by the light of a Blackerry is not what I expect when I pay for a night in a hotel. Nor do I expect to have to find my way to the hotel lobby by following the walls because there is NO (zero) safety lightening in the entire hotel. When I reached the lobby I advised the desk associated I was unable to find my phone charger in the room, and was told they could not let me back in to my room. Five phone calls to the hotel manager later, and two emails to the parent hotel chain, and still no return of my phone calls or possessions, say nothing about customer satisfaction. I do find it funny however, that Holiday Inn was able to make sure that my bill was emailed to me within 24 hours of the power being turned back on....

Room Tip: Don't book here.....
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank TraveLSouth_11
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 2 February 2011

We stayed nearly five weeks (with a seven day split in the middle of visit), which is standard as we visit family. Being our visits are for long stays, our search for a hotel includes convenience to the airport w/shuttle, proximity to restaurants, room accommodations, and price. In this case, we generally stayed at the HIE on Airport Frwy, but decided to change primarily, as rooms there do not provide the privacy for the dressing/vanity. Nor do they have separate (door separating them) living and bedrooms.

Sadly, our first introduction to this HIE was the contracted shuttle. Though the young man was personable, the van was dirty and beat-up and he offered no help to get our luggage into the hotel. Not a good first impression.

Then, upon our return to complete the final leg of our trip, we were met at the desk by a less than cordial greeting. The young lady couldn't even raise her head to make eye contact. This behaviour continued from she and most of the evening staff for the remainder of our stay.

There was only one clerk, the maintenance man, and weekday dining room staff that made a sincere effort to make our stay comfortable. The rest of the staff could learn customer service from them.

It has to be said though, when I reported these concerns and frustrations to the manager he was very apologetic and show genuine concern.

All in all, our stay was in a clean comfortable room which included a typical HIE breakfast. The beds were very comfortable and the room, though in need of updating, adequate and comfortable. Though I find it a shame they chose to switch to disposable dishes and cutlery in the suites.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Abilene, Kansas
Reviewed 5 December 2010

We stayed for one night during a layover at DFW. We took the free shuttle from the airport. When I called the hotel to request the shuttle, the front desk man was a bit gruff asking which gate I was at, and we waited longer than I expected, but it was fine considering it was free.

The beds and pillows were extremely soft and comfortable. It seemed clean, though I did find it strange that the lotion in the bathroom was half empty, as if it hadn't been replaced since the last guest. There also was only one bar of soap ... so it was a pain to switch from the shower to the sink. The room was spacious and well decorated with modern furnishings, except for a very 80s looking alarm clock.

We wish it was closer to some restaurants. There is a Whataburger down the way if you're willing to walk a bit, and the front desk referred us to the Sheraton across the highway. We ended up taking a cab to a steakhouse 4 or 5 miles away.

The biggest problem was that the hotel was overrun with a kids' cheer and football group. The children were running up and down the halls all night when we arrived. The next morning, the chaos started again ... as we left, we saw numerous doors open and parents letting the kids just roam. The lobby and elevators were also buzzing with small, unsupervised kids. Though I wish I'd complained to the management (I bit my tongue), I don't know how much good it would have done. It's not their fault, it's the parents.

Thank goodness our stay was only for one night!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wildcat2003
pdscho, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North, responded to this review, 7 December 2010
We apologize about the noise during your stay. We had a large amount of people with children that weekend due to sporting events in the area and we tried to keep the noise down the best we could. We hope that you will give us another chance. We pride ourselves on our service and quality and providing outstanding accomodations.
Warrenville, Illinois
Reviewed 17 November 2010

The Holiday Inn 800 number booked me on the wrong date. This hotel charged me a no-show fee despite it being an error by their reservations desk. The General Manager refuses to refund it and will only give me a credit to stay there at a different time.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
pdscho, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North, responded to this review, 3 December 2010
We apologize about the issues you had concerning your no show. Our customer service is very important to us as is making sure our guests are 100% satisfied when a situation arises and matters are resolved quickly and fairly. All hotels have a cancellation policy. Please make sure when making a reservation that you understand the cancellation policies. Penalties can apply if you do not show up and the reservation was not cancelled. We at the Holiday Inn Express DFW North will continue to provide excellent service and a high quality product with no exceptions.
Ann Arbor
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I chose to stay here after a flight cancellation left me stranded in DFW. I think the hotel staff was struggling to keep up with the number of last-minute reservations but the hotel staff was harried (to put it nicely). When I called to request the free shuttle, it took several tries to reach them via phone. They were short with me when I called back (after waiting for a 1/2 hr) and suggested that maybe it was my fault that I hadn't caught the shuttle yet. The shuttle was really poor - but it was free. They had experienced some flooding on the first floor which wasn't cleaned up in the morning when I left. The internet and computers were slow. We didn't have a car so it was hard to get dinner - there wasn't anything within walking distance. The rooms were fine - just kind of sparse and oddly-arranged. It wasn't what I was used to after staying at other lovely Holiday Inn Expresses.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business