“Convenient, but you might not get that promised breakfast :(”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North
Ranked #28 of 78 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Unfortunately we found out that their breakfast buffet didn't begin serving until 7AM and our shuttle to the airport was at 6:50AM. A bummer! There was no restaurant in the hotel but the desk was very helpful with menus for meal delivery and recommendations. It only took 10 minutes to get a meal delivered to our door at a very reasonable price. Comfortable king size bed and well stocked bathroom and lots of room to move about including a couch, arm chair and desk with wi-fi. The hotel van took about a half hour to pick us up but did leave promptly the next AM. The elevator was fast so no waiting around.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Gmanager2, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites-DFW North, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

It is always a pleasure to receive wonderful praises from our valued guests. We seek to be consistent in terms of providing you with great service, and it inspires us more to hear that you appreciate all our hard work. Thank you for complimenting our hotel amenities and facilities and the helpful staff services during your stay. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We did a "stay, park, fly" for a recent vacation to NY and VA. The room was comfortable and the shuttle to the airport very convenient. We did have a difficult time getting through to the front desk upon our return to get the shuttle back to the hotel. Not sure what was happening but we were not getting an answer to our calls from two different phones.

We did finally get picked up by a van that wasn't very clearly marked with our hotel so we were a bit nervous whether we were going to get to the right place or not. I. The end it was the right bus and our vehicle was waiting where we parked it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Your satisfaction means a lot to us, and to be able to hear that we have served you well is more than enough to inspire us to work harder than hard to give our valued guests the best service they deserve at all times. Thank you for sharing to us your wonderful experience and it brings us great joy that you appreciated our comfortable room as well as the convenient location. We wish to let you know that the point you raised regarding our shuttle service will surely be put into consideration. Thank you for helping us to further improve by giving us your insightful feedback. We hope to serve you again very soon.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed here overnight from a long overseas flight. Called the hotel for the shuttle and was told he would be there in 20 minutes, if not, call back. We called back. She said he had been there, but had not seen anyone. Informed her, we were there all the time waiting and never saw the shuttle van. Saw lots of other shuttles, but not theirs. She said she would send him back. Turned out to be a shared van and had eight other people in it. Check in was very quick. There is no restaurant close by. A Whataburger is in a Shell station, but you would not want to walk there late at night. The hotel has had some renovation, but needs more. It is outdated. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. No airplane noise. Breakfast was a typical hotel breakfast. Enough to get by on. We have stayed here before and I keep saying I an not going to stay again, but they have a park and fly and it is very reasonable. Convenient to airport. We left the car for sixteen (16) days.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Sometimes you think you are getting a great deal and then all of the peripheral headaches of your decision come to haunt you. Unless you want to wait an hour for the van to pick you up on a late, late weeknight, the savings are not worth it. That is, after you make 4 phone calls to get someone to answer the phone, and once they do, they hang up on you. Not great customer service. The parking was fine and the price was very good, but the service sucked.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Anita J
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband & i stayed here for one night recently. As a stop-over on a road-trip, it was a serviceable hotel, though I wouldn't really want to stay here longer.

The room was comfortable enough, with a small kitchen area, good flat-panel TV, seating area, and a comfortable bed. The bathroom looked pleasing initially, with a separate shower & tub. However, the shower head was at eye-level for me and chin-level for my husband (we're taller than average, but we're not giants) and the shower stall was tiny!

Check-in was painfully slow. We clearly arrived just after a bus load of distressed travelers (people who missed a flight/etc.) from DFW. Rather than having a second station open for people who had reservations (i.e. us & a few others), we had to wait while these people were very slowly checked in. The front desk staff wasn't phased, saying this was almost a daily occurrence. If that's true, you think they'd have been better prepared for it!

Continental breakfast is included and the options are decent, but not great. The interior decorations seemed quite dated. The pool area in the middle of the hotel had a grill and some chairs -- but isn't really a place you'd want to spend time on your vacation.

The hotel is located near DFW, but was (oddly enough, perhaps) a bit hard to find. Thankfully, once inside, the hotel was very quiet without any noise from planes overhead.

Overall -- this is a fine choice for a place to sleep on a road-trip, but you can do better for a longer stay in the DFW area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012

First impression: An older hotel and small-- the reality-- updated and quite large.

Standard room was much larger than a typical standard room. Sofa in the King sized bed room was also a bed. Sofa was a bit worn from use but appeared clean. The room looked like travelers photos with white bedding instead of the flowers. The mattresses were covered with a protective layer and appeared sealed. The bed was medium-- not luxury but not hard. All pillows were soft.

Bathroom appeared spotless. Shower had was appeared to be mold stains but could not be seen unless standing inside the shower. Toilet area was fit into a tiny side space. The shower door was also tiny and opened into the toilet space. if someone had a wheelchair or other mobility impairment, the person would have difficulty maneuvering to the toilet or the the shower. I do not understand why they had wasted space for a small bathtub when they updated the room when they could have created an enlarged shower away from the toilet. The bathroom itself was quite large as seen in traveler photos. The shower head appeared less than 6 feet in height and being 5'7" I found the height of the shower barely acceptable. I know this review will not change anything at the hotel but I thought I would warn taller travelers and others who might normally accept a standard room when a wheelchair accessible room might be best at this particular hotel.

An older microwave, sink (wet bar), and refrigerator were in good working condition. A layer of dust was on the shelf with the microwave. I suspect the housekeeping staff could not reach the shelf to dust it. Being glad to have a microwave and refrigerator, I make the comment because the dust might surprise some travelers.

The place looked nice, so the little discrepancies were startlichg like one of the many towels supplied needed to have been turned into a rag the condition was so poor and the same for one of the bath mats that actually had 1/2 inch holes in it.

Free Breakfast included hot foods such as eggs, bacon, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, bananas, cereal, orange juice, yogurt, biscuit and sausage gravy, coffee and tea plus more. Breakfast was not restaurant quality, but you would not starve either. Expect many people in the dining room on the weekend and business travelers during the week. A baseball team of elementary school aged boys were present but they did not disturb my stay.

The pool was larger than what appears in pictures. I suggest travelers bring insect repellent because a large mosquito hovered around me. I did not get into the water but others seemed to have a great time.

In the guest laundry facility, the dryer was broken at the time of my visit.

A wide selection of snacks could be purchased from the front desk. There is a restaurant and food mart within walking distance but on a very hot or cold day, the walk might seem brutal.

I saw a shuttle bus but did not use it. I highly suggest that you rent a car or taxi because there is nothing truly in walking distance except the other hotels, airport parking lot, and chain restaurant. If the shuttle is not owned by the hotel, the shuttle will likely not take you all the places you want to go-- without a big tip.

Housekeeping staff spoke Spanish. I am unsure if they can communicate with guests in English because they spoke Spanish to each other.

Front desk staff was not exactly friendly but each was was courteous and helpful. I asked for and received a courtesy toothbrush quickly and with professional courtesy. I asked for and received help to locate a homestyle cooking restaurant.

This was my second stay at this hotel in the last 12 months booked from an online discount site. I was treated with courtesy even though I booked online at a steep discount.

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor with cars only a few feet away from my window.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express DFW North overnight as we came in on a late flight and had to drive north the following day. The hotel itself was very hard to find in the dark, as there was no signage from the access road leading to the hotel. We had to turn around three times to find the entrance. At check in, the hotel was at capacity and there was no parking to be found. The front desk agent had me park in the fire lane in the entry court, but advised I would have to move my car by 8AM. I was grateful for the parking spot, but having to rise early to move the car was an inconveniece that could be solved by providing sufficient parking for capacity times. Otherwise, the desk agents were very friendly and tried to be helpful.

The room itself was very dated, although updates had been made, which were apparent and appreciated. The air conditioner was extremely loud all night long, but the bed was reasonably comfortable. The separate shower was very grimy and was overall the least pleasant part of our stay.

Their breakfast buffet was a nice convenience, and the selection of warm and cold food was good for the type of hotel and pricepoint. The employee working at the breakfast buffet was obviously trying hard to keep things clean and well-stocked, and I appreciated his effort.

Overall, I would not have been happy to stay more than one night, but for our purpose the stay was satisfactory.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business