“issues with staff”

Ranked #59 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Irving
“issues with staff”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I had been traveling from overseas and just spent 23 hours in flights and airports . I had to wait nearly an hour for the shuttle to pick me up. When I got to the hotel the phones in my room did not work. I went to the desk to report this and told them it was essential that I have a room with a phone as I did not have a sim card for USA yet. The staff at the counter said he could not do anything about it until tomorrow. I became angry and asked to use the lobby phone. About this time a manager came out and went with me to my room and quickly resolved the issue for me. The hotel is nice and clean and the beds were comfortable. Not sure if I would stay there again though just because the service was so poor and there are many many hotels to choose from in this same area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The concept of Hawthorn by Wyndham is similar to that of Candlewood Suites by Holiday Inn. Although based on this property, Holiday Inn does a much better job.

I’m not sure why Wyndham continues to associate itself with subpar properties. At one time Wyndham properties were on par with Hilton, Marriott and Sheraton. Not anymore. Aside from Wingate properties (which I like and rivals the offerings from Marriott and Hilton) Wyndham backs a slew of underperforming hotels like Ramada, Super8, Howard Johnson, Knights Inn and Days Inn. Yeech.

I stayed in room 104 a queen bedded “suite” with kitchen.

Pros:

• Lots of room, great concept
• 18 cf refrigerator with sink, microwave and stove top
• 32" tv
• Solid surface counters in bath
• Tile bath
• Airport shuttle
• Good price for the area
• Front desk clerk, Chaundra (sp) was friendly and had a genuine smile

Cons:

• Poor work area with only two outlets for electronics.
• Subpar work chair, not made for work on laptop
• Dated furnishings
• Light/moderate airplane noises.
• Everything seems worn out or run down. Broken tiles in bath, carpet worn thin, paint marred, moldings missing, outside access doors don’t open with keys, etc.
• Frustrating internet access. Every time you disconnect, you have to log in again with your access code.
• Horrible pillows! Hard, cheap and flat.

Breakfast was very basic, although the waffle maker was nice. I give this property a 68/100 overall and a 75/100 for value. Overall this was a disappointing property and I would likely look elsewhere if I were in the area again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This room was huge, like an apartment. I arrived and was greeted at 1am by a smiling , patient and kind employee. He was quick to check us in and the accomodations were beyond our expectations. i slept in peace on a very comfortable bed. Tara said the pull out bed was very comfortable in the living room and that she slept soundly as well. i would recommend this location to anyone travelling and needing to be by the DFW airport.

Room Tip: The king bed with a pull out couch allowed each of us privacy. This was a true apartment sized room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Cory M, Director of Sales at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham DFW Airport North, responded to this review, 20 February 2015
Thank you so much for your wonderful ratings and comments. These reviews good or bad allow us to continue to grow and improve our customer service for you, and other guests.
We look forward to having you back very soon!

Thanks,

Natalie Matthews
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Booked through Expedia..Pickup from airport took 50 minutes. Told 20-25 minutes when I called. Front desk staff's response to my commenting about how long it took was a snide remark. "Well sir, it IS a courtesy" implying I should be grateful I got picked up at all. Intentionally booked this place as I was traveling with frozen food and needed a full sized refrigerator as advertised on their web site. My booking was for "king-sized bed with sofa bed. No sofa bed in the room. Calling this a "suite" is a joke. It's a normal hotel room with a counter-top sink and a mini-fridge. No stovetop, no utensils, no china, pots/pans...nothing in the "kitchen" but a coffee maker. Cupboards completely empty. When I returned to the front desk to ask about a full sized fridge the guy just looked at me like I had 3 heads or something and said they didn't have any rooms like that. (so photos on the web site are fake?) Generally shabby appearance throughout the property. Attractive price for a "suite hotel" but it is, in my opinion, not.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo