“Very Good for this Style of Resto”
Review of Red Hot & Blue

Red Hot & Blue
Ranked #18 of 576 Restaurants in Irving
Cuisines: Barbecue, Bar
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: Red Hot and Blue is a full-service, casual-themed restaurant chain and caterer featuring delicious award-winning ribs, Memphis-style barbeque, smoked wings, and Southern sides and desserts. The atmosphere is steeped in legendary and contemporary blues music and delivers a large dose of Southern hospitality in a fun and entertaining dining environment. History: The first Red Hot and Blue restaurant opened in Arlington, Virginia in 1988, started by Lee Atwater, Don Sundquist and friends. Don Sundquist was from Memphis and served in the House of Representatives and as governor of Tennessee. The late Lee Atwater was an amateur blues musician and political figure that managed George H.W. Bush's successful race for the presidency. These men were friends who longed for authentic Memphis-style barbeque and great blues music. Unable to find that combination anywhere in the Washington, DC area they decided the only way to get it done was to open a restaurant of their own. The Memphis-style barbeque chain celebrated its 25th Anniversary in 2013 by partnering with a charitable organization at 24 different restaurant locations. The yearlong celebration culminated in the presentation of thousands of dollars in donations to local charities. The Name: The name, "Red Hot and Blue" is taken from the title of D.J. Dewey Phillip's radio show that that aired on WHBQ-AM in Memphis, Tennessee in the 1950s. This radio show launched the careers of Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash and broadened the audience for artists such as BB King, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray and Rufus Thomas. Red Hot & Blue Dine-In, Take-Out and Catering. Hickory-smoked Memphis-style BBQ, Ribs, Wings, Beef Brisket, Smoked Chicken, Seafood, Full-service Bar, in a Family-friendly atmosphere with a heapin' helpin' of Southern Hospitality!
Toronto
“Very Good for this Style of Resto”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

And for a Canajun who's never really tried BBQ, Texas style.

Casual fast food is how I'd class it. Clean, appropriate décor, smokey smell as soon as you open the door. Not noisy at all on a Tuesday night at 7ish pm.

Really good service! Great recommendations from the server. And very quick!

Reasonable prices.

Menu (remember I'm a Canuck) was limited ... mostly ... well ... BBQ.

My colleague did the rib platter, 'dry' as I recall (recommended by server) and sampled the various sauces on the table. Baked beans (one must, apparently, have those baked beans to be enjoying the authentic experience!) and potato salad. Smacked his lips when done.

Since I was comparatively a Texas BBQ 'virgin' I did the Five Meat Treat ... five samplers including pulled pork, pulled chicken, sausage, beef brisket, ribs. Cole slaw and those requisite baked beans. Tonnes of food, couldn't finish it all!

We each enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine while we chatted.

Very nice!

I'm told there are 'fancier' BBQ places I must try next time, but this was a darn good start.

And I'm proud to say I'm not longer a Texas BBQ 'virgin'!

Give this or one of the other locations a try!

• Visited June 2014

Los Angeles, California
“Roadhouse BBQ It Ain't ”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere says pizza and burgers but the smell is definitely hickory. I ordered the sampler hoping to pick a meat for my next visit. The sausage was by far the winner on my plate. The others, including the ribs, were dry and and lacked good flavor intensity. Where did the smoke go? Not in the meat. Fortunately the selection of sauces delivered good flavor. You'll need a bunch of it. Service was superb. My waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Meal timing was just right. I've had Tennessee BBQ and this ain't it.

Killen, Alabama
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The BBQ was awesome and the server we had was fantastic. I personally love the décor as it is blues based with emphasis on New Orleans. Thoroughly enjoyed the visit.

Visited April 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent BBQ, great value!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The food is really great here. Aside from the meats, which are all mouth-watering good, the sides are also very good. I went there twice for lunch during my business trip, and the only reason I didn't go more was because the portions are so large that I couldn't eat dinner later.
The dry ribs are incredible!

Visited April 2014
Texas
“Will convert any BBQ disliker!!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I am not a BBQ fan, but I loved everything these guys had to offer! Our office lunch was catered by this crew and they brought us amazing brisket, some of the best sausage I've had ever, great beans, and fantastic potato salad. Without going on forever, I'll just say, this is now my favorite BBQ place...

Visited January 2014

Been to Red Hot & Blue? Share your experiences!