“Not what I expected :)”

Ranked #73 of 77 Hotels in Irving
San Diego, California
“Not what I expected :)”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Not what I expected but better! My daughters and I came to Irving for my father's birthday. We planned this whole suprise party all last minute so I didn't have time to search around for places to stay. I didn't really want to stay at a relatives home, so I googled for hotels in Irving. I came across this one and it was pretty cheap, but then I read the reviews. I was kind of spectacle to book it at first but the price was readonable and I didn't have much time to look around. I went ahead and booked it for the weekend we were there. When I arrived there I was greeted by two gentleman at the front. Very sweet and polite. Check-in was very smooth. What suprosed me was the deposit they require of $100, but I was fine with it since the gentleman reassured me I would receive it back when I check out. There was a gentleman in a red shirt that offered to take my luggage to my room which was really sweet of him. ( Not easy doing it on your own when you have a 10 month old and a 5 year old.) Once we arrived to the room , I unpacked. The room was very nice. It had nice furniture and carpet and a flat screen TV. I had read reviews before about bugs and mold. Well my room did not have any bugs, stains, mold, broken furniture, or had a bad smell. In fact, it was really clean and neat. We had cable and I was able to use their wi-fi on my laptop the whole time I was there. They also had an indoor pool which I thought was really nice. Even though it was kind of chilly outside their indoor pool was heated, and me and my daughters enjoyed ourselves very well! I thought it was really convenient too to have a restaurant inside the hotel. They served American and Indian food. I've had Indian food before and let me tell you their Chicken Tikka and Naan was very delicious! Sunday morning when I checked out I did receive my deposit back as the gentleman who checked me in assired me. Over all I give it 5 stars. My experience was great. The employees there were really nice and we had a great room and a great time! I would say to give it a chance. Even with the reviews I did and I loved it. I would definitely come back when I visit my family again and I would recomment it to anyone!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jamie W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Do not let the pictures fool you!! Maybe that's how the hotel looked when it was first built. The hotel was dirty, had bugs, smelled, and had not been updated in years. The only plus was the location, but there are many other hotels to choose from! We had a room that faced the parking lot. It would have been OK if the curtains actually closed to block out the lights shining in the room. It looked like a place that would rent rooms hourly. Pictures should definitely be updated so people wouldn't waste their money. Would NEVER stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank teachermaria
rosecc2, General Manager at DFW Airport Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Hello and Thank you for expressing your concerns. We do value all our customers opinions and take it into considerations on ways to improve the hotel. I do agree with you on how old our hotel is it has been around for years providing guest with unbeatable prices compared to any other Hotels in the area. Not only do we provide prices to fit in anyone's budget we also provide free shuttle to and from the hotel. We started renovating back in July 2012 and continue to do so as trends continue to change but like to maintain the feeling of being home to allow our guest to relax after most of the time long travels. About the Curtin issue in your room I understand trying to get sleep and the light shining in can really be bothersome although this is not the first time me hearing this. Behind our Curtin's we have a Black out drape and that must be closed properly before the actual Curtin is closed, if this is not done when attempting to close the Curtin it will not close all the way leaving any light to shine in. We usually send a housekeeper up to show guest how it is done after the guest has called down to the front desk with this matter. Please accept our sincere apology and consider staying with us again . Thank you
Wisconsin Rapids
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The room had no phone, so they put one in. It didnt work even after they set it on the bedside table as there was no plug in the wall. It was an empty hole in a plastic cover. The smoke detector was disconnected, the bathroom had dirt all around the edge of the floor, someone had apparently dripped coffee down the cabinet but it was never cleaned up. The windows were filthy and had bugs and dirt in the window sill. The bed was a joke as one side sunk all the way to the floor. The heat didnt work worth a darn and the room was freezing. Two of the lamps in our room didnt work at all and the shade on the one was in terrible shape. The breaker box outside the room in the hall was full of lint and dust (fire hazard). The curtains were ripped and falling off. The carpet in the room was ripped. The faucet in the lobby bathroom was loose and able to be lifted off the sink itself. There were loose wires hanging from the heaters in the hallway. Our friends room didnt have electricity for the bathroom or main entrance. And I found a dead cockroach in the entryway. It was still there 24 hours later. That tells me they dont clean very often. We were to stay 3 nights but after a few hours decided to check out in the morning and move to another hotel. We shouldnt have stayed that long.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lawerence L
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I am an insurance adjuster and travel often for extended periods. My company recommended Extended Stay America in Las Colinas/ I stayed a month and it was decent but at $1000 a month decided to look for a cheaper room. I found DFW Airport Hotel & Conference Center on Craigslist. The online pics looked good so I called a and spoke to Emily the extended stay agent there. She said I could get a king bed with kitchenette for only $750 a month. I went to see the hotel and it is very old. I thought that since it would be just me I could rough it for a month and save a couple of hundred in the process. I moved in and the toilet did not flush and the fridge was dirty. My bed had no blanket and there was no light bulb in the bedside lamp. The microwave did not work properly and the hallways constantly reeked of marijuana mixed with curry spice cigarettes and mildew. I passed the same 2 dead cockroaches to and from work in the 2nd floor hallway for the month I was there. The elevators reek of body odor and vomit. There are supposed to be secure carded entry doors but I found I could come and go from several other doors at all hours. Not safe. The first time I tried to do laundry the only washer and dryer on my floor of a 400 room hotel with extended stay they did not work. I had to hand my wet clothes all over my room. The parking lot is dark and full of potholes. The halls have the nastiest looking stains and smell and don't forget those roaches!! Worst of all if you prepay and leave a couple of days early they will not refund your money. They lied to me and said I would only pay $750 for a full month stay. I was charged over $1000 and the manager despite me calling several times was never available by phone and ignored several voice mails. The staff is very unprofessional and the "agent leasing rental staff" will lie to you and find a way to cheat you out of every dollar they can. As a catastrophe adjuster I am one of literally hundreds that get called to the Central Catastrophe Service office in Irving each year to work. I will be sure to get the word out to my fellow adjuster to spend the extra $200 dollars and stay at Extended Stay America. AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS. IT IS FILTHY and SCARY and UNSAFE. The pictures on the website are deceiving and are outdated. Once you get past the lobby you enter HELL.

Room Tip: non-smoking no pets modern TV
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Louie L
rosecc2, Manager at DFW Airport Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Louie, I do regret you leaving our Hotel unsatisfied as you talked to Emily and Amanda on this situation . Taxes is not something the Hotel keeps as revenue it does in fact go to the state and clearly we must pay taxes everywhere. As explained if you pay the $750.00 up front for the months rental it is tax free. We always provide our customers with this option. You chose to go weekly first which is $241.50 with tax a week and said the next week you would change to monthly. Everyone if fully trained on how to take payments and add any amount of days the customers ask for, you alleged the following week when you attempted to go monthly the front desk agent told you that she did not know how to take the payment but did in fact take the payment for another weeks stay for you. If this was true the next day or even later on that evening you could have brought it to Extended stay or Emily's attention and we would have been happy to adjust it for you . The following week you paid for a month and then received the special of tax free on monthly rental. So the bottom line is you did receive a check from us on the 2 weeks you paid that you were charged tax. The monthly fee you paid on the 3rd week was tax free so you wouldn't have received taxes back . I'm sorry for the confusion during the process and I know we all dread Uncle Sam sometimes but these are regulations we must follow. The complaints you mention in your review where they brought to anyone's attention? We would have been happy to move your rooms and handle any matters like it smelling like drugs as we do not take that lightly. I hope you will reconsider your thoughts on our hotel now that the process is broken down . Thank you
Eastover, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 12 December 2013

During the recent ice storm in the area, my flight home was cancelled. The airlines booked this room for me. It is a dump! There was a strong odor of chlorine and disinfectants in my room. I was on the second floor and had to use my iPod to go to sleep because I could hear the lobby television. The bed linens were so thin you could read through them. I did not feel comfortable removing my clothes and sleeping in the bed. I slept on top of the bed, fully clothed. I didn't trust that there weren't bedbugs in the beds. There was a sign on the door of the bar and grill, stating that management required searches of handbags and pockets and a body search if deemed necessary. ENOUGH SAID! DON'T STAY HERE!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Brenda B
Irving, Texas
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was in need of extended stay accommodations for my family while awaiting our apartment. I found the extended stay rep to be very helpful. I received a better rate from the hotel than on "hotel-finder" web sites. I was well aware of the condition of the establishment before booking, as I have stayed in the regular rate rooms when I visited the area a year ago.

I believe you get what you pay for. No this is not the hotel for you if you are looking for any degree of sophistication. This hotel offers basic amenities, but they are dated. There is nothing fancy but again, you get what you pay for, a semi-decent room in a good location. Yes, there is a stale smell in some parts especially near the indoor pool area. Once upon a time this was probably a really nice place, now it is just a place when you need something in a pinch.

Room Tip: Book with hotel for better extended stay rates.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dallas Texas
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Adequate for the cost. Very convenient to the airport for flight departures.
Maintenance man was great. The heat was not working and we called the front desk for maintenance. The man was there within 5 mintes and he did a great job if adjusting the water intake to stop the air conditioning and set it to heat.

Problem area. The tub appeared that it had not been cleaned. There was residue in it. We contacted the front desk two times that evening to have housekeeping to come and take a look. They never showed up. During the night I head water gurgling and the next morning there was more residue in the tub. It appeared that the water was backing up and not draining properly and the residue was coming back from the lines.
The next morning when we checked out we reported it again adn they said they would check on it.
That was not very nice.

The continental breakfast was confusing also. It was stated that continental breakfast was available but when I went there and checked there were signs indicating that you had to go to the desk to pay for coffee? Not sure what that was about and the buffet seemed very scarce. I did not even eat.

The hotel overall was average but repairs were needed in some areas.
The heating units int he halls were in need of repair, ie the side covers were loose. The air coning out seemed barely warm on a day when it was 35 degrees ourside.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple