“Quaint”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jefferson
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Quaint”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed on a Monday night so they gave us a break on the rate but it was still almost $100. The staff is very friendly. The hotel is quaint and charming. It is and extremely old building so this might not be the place for you if you want everything to be perfect. There is a pretty courtyard in the back. Don't miss the fish and turtles in the fountain. We enjoyed sitting outside and watching them. The room was fine and everything was clean. The tub was a little stained but like I said it's old. Over all we had a nice stay and felt welcomed by the staff.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Excelsior House for one night (Saturday night, 5-26-12) in room #207.
Seriously, if I had guests coming to say with me and I had to put them up in the room we stayed in, I would be apologizing to them about it. It was that bad. I would be embarassed to have guests stay in a room like that. The room was dirty with dust and grime at corners of the room and on the baseboards. The door handle kept coming off. The sink wabbled. The "shower" had no curtain. The dresser tilted at about a 25 degree angle. Nothing about the room decor matched. It was just a bunch of old hodgepodge furniture that needs to donated to a thrift store. The bedspread/pillow shams were old and worn. The bed was very uncomfortable and the pillows were lumpy. I understand that there is a certain "charm" expected when staying in an old building, but the was no charm here, only age. I did notice a couple of other rooms with doors open that looked somewhat better than ours (at a glance). But this room either needs to shut down or updated and improved. And we paid $120 plus tax to stay in the room. FYI, be very cautious about booking a room here, and DEFINATELY do not get #207.

7 Thank dan h
Bryan, Texas, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I am a descendant of people who helped build Jefferson and have stayed at the Excelsior House over 50 times in my 67 years. I spent 4 days in Jefferson with 3 friends from 5/17 - 5/21. I wanted to stay at the Excelsior but my friends prefer B&B's so I took them into the hotel hoping that the tour would change their minds. The man I spoke with, Michael, was putting cloths on tables and was very brusque and rude when I asked about the tour. When I asked about the times for the tour he said, "1:30 if I have the time..." I have always been so impressed with the gentility of the ladies who have been behind the desk in the past but this man was rude, blunt, and had no time for us. Thus he lost 4 paying guests for 4 nights and my friends, who said they would never stay there, missed the opportunity of experiencing that great place. I was disappointed and very embarrassed. I had raved about the Excelsior the entire 4 hours it took us to get to Jefferson. What a tragedy has befallen the Excelsior.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Carol Ann K
Centerville, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My wife and I decided to stay the night here at the spur of the moment rather drive the 3 hrs back home. Being a Sunday night, we were able to choose any room we wanted. We chose the Diamond Bessie room since it had the door leading to the court yard whenever we wished to step out. The rooms are furnished with nice antiques and the stay was interesting. We will probably stay at a B&B the next time we go to Jefferson and yes, we will definitely be coming back to town!

Room Tip: I would choose to stay in the Grant or Lady BIrd room or somewhere else in town.
Texas USA
Reviewed 13 April 2012 via mobile

Older Historic Hotel with a unique southern charm. Great location to walk around downtown and our room was very nice with a nice courtyard to enjoy.
Well worth the money and we'd go back again.

Stayed April 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 1 April 2012

When searching for Jefferson Hotels, I discovered this incredible hotel is not listed by its proper name. I was taken on a tour, and the historic rooms were absolutely incredible. Staggeringly spacious, and furnished like a museum, with genuine antiques. During weekdays, they are only $85. The next time I am in Jefferson, I will definitely stay in this fabulous hotel.

Strongly advise any traveler to go to their website and check it out. It is far nicer than the Jefferson B&B's, and should not be confused with the Jefferson Hotel!

Room Tip: Definitely stay in one of the historic rooms - unbelievable spacious, and furnished like a museum!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I love staying at The Excelsior House Hotel. We love to just get away from time to time on the weekend. The breakfast is wonderful and the entire staff was very courteous and friendly. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jefferson
La Quinta Inn & Suites Marshall
Inn of Jefferson
Inn of Jefferson
#3 of 4 in Jefferson
White Oak Manor Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Excelsior House? Share your experiences!