“Wonderful Experience in Gorgeous Town on Halloween Night”

and 1 more site!
The Excelsior House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jefferson
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This is a beautiful, elegant Southern style hotel that was built in the 1850s and boasts famous guests such as President Ulysses S. Grant, President Hayes, Ladybird Johnson and - the one that impressed me the most - Oscar Wilde!!! I was even shown his entry in an old register book.
We were lucky to be able to use the "overnight Traveler's Special ", which was $69 plus tax. We had to be out by 8.00 am the next morning. This suited us fine we had a tour of Lake Caddo to do the next day.( will review this awesome experience too!)
The rooms were done out in authentic antiques, including 4 poster beds. There were nice little touches, such as a bowl of mints on the sideboard, and my friend had an antique clawed bath in his rooms.
There is a lovely gardened courtyard with squirrels, and a big fish pond with turtles and fish. The rest of the hotel which I got to see looked beautiful and interesting. There are supposed to be ghosts here too, but I slept through any possible activity.
The people working here were very nice and helpful, with a great sense of fun.
The Excelsior House is situated right in the town, with plenty of places to eat, historical places and many antique and second hand stores, and a really really wonderful vibe. As it was Halloween and we were close to nice neighborhoods with all the kids dressed up and "trick or treating", we were able to get into the "spirit" of the night.
It is also not far from Lake Caddo which is a must to see.
This stay was special, and one I would love to repeat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank catwic57

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were here to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. Sheri checked us in and made us feel very welcome. She took us to our room and checked to make sure everything ok and we did not need anything. She was very informed regarding the history of the inn. All unoccupied rooms had the doors open so you could see the décor. Sheri told us to feel free to move around the Inn and take pictures. The evening desk clerk was Michael. He also told us a lot of the history of Jefferson and the Excelsior Inn. It was like we had our own private history tour. Our room was the Diamond Bessie Suite. It was great. We had all the modern amenities we needed, but still maintained the original décor of the time. Upon departure, Sheri went to the kitchen and packed us some of the wonderful orange blossom muffins for the road. I know they are playing down the ghost experiences, but I cannot close without telling of my experience. Our first evening I was lying on the daybed in the sun porch attached to our room. ( By the way, this was great. We spent most of out time in the room there. ) I was lying on my side watching TV when I felt a very gentle hand run down my back. Almost like a caress. I set up because I was startled, but not afraid. When I laid back down it felt like someone was snuggled against my back. My visitor never came back after this visit.

Room Tip: Stay in the historical side of the inn. The Diamond Bessie Suite is great. It has a large private su...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Our travel experience started with the intentions of staying in what was described in a "cottage" by the "beautiful" Caddo Lake. What we arrived to find was a rundown trailer in an area that was something straight out of a horror movie. The nature was wild and wonderful looking, but it was swallowing the "cottage." It was horrendous. after being on the road for 4hours it took all of our energy to pack up and face the open road once again looking for any sort of acceptable lodging.
The nearest town on the map was Jefferson, so that's where we headed. The old historic downtown area was quaint and quiet, we pulled up in front of the Excelsior House and upon asking for a look at their rooms we were given a tour of this gorgeous old house.
Don't get me wrong, the wallpaper in some of these rooms borders on downright painful, but after seeing the hellhouse on Caddo Lake, this place was the epitome of luxury. Large rooms with a King sized bed and its calm atmosphere. I loved it upon first site.
The staff was incredibly friendly and more than happy to give a tour and indulge our curiousities on the history of the house. Though we only stayed there a night it was exactly the peaceful and relaxing stay we needed. In the morning we had some of the complimentary coffee and muffins offered for breakfast(the muffins were delicious) and explored the house and the town.
Downtown Jefferson on a Sunday morning is the epitome of calm. It has all the charm of a quaint New England town hidden away in east Texas. I would love to visit again and plan a longer more deliberate stay. Excelsior House saved what surely was set up to be a terrible, terrible weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

The location and history of the hotel is great. The hotel is in need of some repairs but was clean. The wait for assistance from the staff sometimes was lengthy. The breakfast was good but rather pricey. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was our second trip to Jefferson. On our previous visit we stayed at the Jefferson Hotel.

The staff was friendly enough and the included breakfast was terrific

This inn is really more of a B&B with a full time staff member.... No food available other than breakfast along with a half broken down soda machine and ice maker outside. The room was more spacious than anticipated and quite clean.

The ac window unit was loud and rattled.

The beds were fine but a renovation is needed. The vanities, faucets, door locks and hvac need work.

Overall a good stay but the breakfast made it VERY good.

All that said at the end of the day I'd rather stay at a historic inn, warts and all than a damn Hampton or days inn in a terrific place like Jefferson.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JSRDallas
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My sister and I stayed 2 nights in the Victorian Parlor room. Although we would have preferred a room with 2 beds, we chose this room because of the door that opens out to the courtyard. The room itself was clean and very spacious but the bathroom and the shower were both rather small. The bed was very soft and comfortable. We had our own chairs just outside our room to sit and enjoy the pretty, well kept courtyard with the nice fountain area which is also home to a sweet turtle family. The breakfast was tasty and plentiful served in a room overlooking the fountain and courtyard which was a very pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I checked in alone on a Friday afternoon for a 2-night stay. The staff was friendly, helpful, and courteous. I was soon shown to my room (#215 in the "main house"). It was very spacious and had the expected turn-of-the-century charm. It was also clean, but upon close inspection, was somewhat shabby and had an odd odor which I can't describe. Rugs on the creaky-wooden floor were threadbare, there were tears on the cloth window shades, and the lamp table between the beds almost fell-over when I leaned on it (it may have a broken leg). The window ac/heater was not capable of cooling the large room, so I spent a lot of time sitting in front of it to cool myself. The bathroom had the proper old look fixtures which looked new. There was no counter space for toiletries in the bathroom and there was no stopper for the tub. The toilet was placed so close to the wall that the tp roll touched your right side while sitting! There was a hand-held shower wand, but I found it difficult to use with only one hand (my left arm is amputated just above the wrist) and was hard to keep the water spray from leaving the tub (no curtain around the tub). The bed was comfortable and I slept well Friday night. However, it wasn't enjoyable enough to me to stay a 2nd night, so I forfeited the Saturday night cost and checked-out in mid-afternoon to head back home.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 215.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo