“Chef is a Master!”

Price range: US$18 - US$42
Cuisines: American, French, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in a 1890's home. White tablecloths and silverplate flatware. Menu changes seasonally with daily specials. Chef owned, since 1984. Casual attire. Men asked to remove their hats before being seated.Fresh seafood, rack of lamb, venison and veal dishes occasionally. Please see out Facebook page for nightly specials.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have traveled the world and dined in phenomenal restaurants. Our dinner at Stillwater Inn was truly one of the best we have experienced! The owner-chef prepared a masterpiece meal of tender succulent meat and fish, side dishes spiced with an expert's touch, and homemade bread and churned butter. The ambiance is relaxed elegance in a 19th century house, the service friendly and skilled. Dinner guests will enjoy an uniquely memorable evening!

2  Thank T1256GNlindam

Reviewed 30 June 2014

While staying in Jefferson, we chose this little place to have supper. It was close to where we were staying-walking distance in fact. The ambiance was charming. It had an old house feel to it which I loved.
The food was delicious and delivered with impeccable service and timing. Overall, a lovely place.

2  Thank Grace W
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We arrived for a late dinner around 8:00 PM. We were greeted at the door with a genuine "Glad you're here" attitude. My husband had a delicious tenderloin and I had the pecan crusted trout. Both meals were delicious as was the homemade bread straight out of the oven. The atmosphere was quaint and we enjoyed great service. We will return!

1  Thank travelingteacher62
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I went to the Stillwater Inn because our friends insisted it was the best restaurant in Jefferson. If so, the restaurant scene in Jefferson is in deep trouble. It was overpriced, the wait staff was eager but untrained, the food was mediocre. My salad was mixed greens with a chunk of lukewarm goat cheese on top, but I did not complain. Fried goat cheese is dumb and I should have known better. Our cute waitress wrapped the wine bottle with a napkin so that I could not see the label to verify it was as ordered, opened the wine, poured two full glasses and went about her business elsewhere, never giving me the opportunity to taste and approve the selection. I know that is ritual, but when I'm paying over thirty dollars for a ten dollar bottle of California Pinot Noir, pamper me a bit. The warm, crusty bread was the best thing in the house! For a $130, including tip, I expect a LOT more. I feel I was hi-jacked in the piney woods.

AggieLonghornDad, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Deeply regret the poor wine service you received. Certainly we train our staff better than what you described.
Your friends who accompanied you seemed to leave well pleased. Sorry that your first experience at the Stillwater Inn was such a disappointment. The lightly breaded goat cheese preparation is very popular with many costomers.Please feel to ask for a more familiar treatment, in the event that you try us again.
The piney woods are full of honest small business people, raising families and offering value commensurate with the cost and effort involved. Of course, there are a few exceptions, but usually they are found out early on, and soon disappear from the scene. Thirty plus years in this restraurant may qualify me for many labels, but hi-jacker, or tourist trap operator, I am not.
Bill Stewart

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Sadly we were one of only two couples rattling around in this big old restaurant the night we ate there. The steaks were very good and I should imagine this would be great with a buzzy crowd in. Not cheap, but the quality was there and there are fairly slim pickings in Jefferson.

1  Thank CB_away
AggieLonghornDad, Owner at Stillwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for choosing to dine with us. I am glad that you were pleased with your dinner. I realize that part of the fun in going out for dinner is the element of theater. I believe the evening you came was the night before New Years Eve, which may have been part of the reason for the quiet evening.
Such is life in a small East Texas town. I do appreciate your referring to our restaurant as old. Coming from London, where old can be ancient, I think you have given our 30 years in business a modicum of established respectability.

Been to Stillwater Inn? Share your experiences!