All reviewslovely hotelenglish breakfastpleasant staytea and coffeeplenty of parkingstayed here for one nightcomfy bedyogurtpub
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Myself and my fiancee stayed here for two nights last weekend. We was originally booked into another hotel but they couldn't accommodate us for the second night so we moved here through bookings.com
The staff were all friendly and helpful whilst checking in and the night staff too. We had to ring the bell on both nights as we returned late.
We were happy with the room cleanliness, comfy bed with enough pillows, tv, and a modern bathroom.

The only negative things I have are..

The room was so Hot!! We slept with the window open..infact we just didn't shut the window in all the time we was there! I was awoken at 6.50am on the first morning by a delivery lorry unloading.. fortunately we was due to be early anyway!
I didn't complain to anyone so maybe anyone visiting in the future could request a fan? I'm not sure.
Mini bar food and drink is kept on the side there for is warm..like really warm! Had it have been in a fridge I would probably have used it more, but I begrudge paying £1.95 for a warm bottle of sprite.

Breakfast was simple, a help yourself buffet with a hot choice of baked beans, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages. All were hot and of good quality. Other things on offer are toast, cereal, yoghurt, fresh fruit and cheese.

We booked a hotel so we could get where we needed to be for those couple of days with ease, as we no longer live in colchester. It was a fair price for a standard no frills hotel, I would recommend if you want somewhere to stop by for a night or two.. I wouldn't recommend if you wanted a nice weekend away where you want to lay in every morning or go for walks as there's not much to do around there without being able to drive. Taxi to train station wasn't to expensive at £7.50.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank purpleorange89
DragonflyTeam, Manager at Dragonfly Hotel Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Dear purpleorange89

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay at the hotels and we are pleased to read overall your stay met with your expectations and we take all comments on board to help us improve facilities for future guests

I do hope that if you are visiting the area again you will return to the hotel.

Om

Reviewed 8 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed overnight for business trip, I arrived with a warm welcome however they are updating decor & laying new carpets so was abit awkward going towards my room with painters and decorators on stairs but it didn't ruin my stay at all.

Location is ideal should you wish to venture into colchester

Room was very clean and up to standards, nice view out back

Restaurant and bar area is spacous and food is ok but abit over priced compared to other hotel restaurants.

Can't argue for £65

I'd stay again for sure.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
DragonflyTeam, Manager at Dragonfly Hotel Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Dear Richard M

Thank you very much for taking your time to post your kind review on your recent stay at the hotel.

We are trying to keep the refurbishment to a minimum impact on guest stays but occasionally it does overlap and I am pleased to read this didn't cause you to much inconvenience.

We do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area

Reviewed 12 May 2017

The hotel is outside the city and has a charm of its own, friendly staff,quite and serene. We loved the place, occasion was my daugthers graduation ceremony at the University of Essex. A Good budget hotel.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
DragonflyTeam, Manager at Dragonfly Hotel Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Dear SUBHRA7

Thank you very much taking the time to post your kind review of the hotel and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next visiting the area.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Good location close to major roads and with plenty of parking close to the hotel.

Staff were welcoming and professional.

Rooms were clean and had everything you need - tea and coffee, amenities etc.

Recommended

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Oooerrr
DragonflyTeam, Manager at Dragonfly Hotel Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Dear Oooerrr

Thank you very much for taking time to review your stay at the hotel and the kind comments contained within. We are very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

20 years ago we used to stay and eat at this hotel quite regularly so it was a logical place to call in for a breakfast when we passed by recently. The hotel has "metamorphized" into a dragonfly but nothing else seems to have changed at all - and we mean NOTHING........wow does this place desperately need a make-over - just a lick of paint would help for starters. We don't think we have ever been to a place which hasn't received ANY attention in 20 years. Both the staff and Customers deserve better

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
DragonflyTeam, Manager at Dragonfly Hotel Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

Dear An_Old_Burian

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent visit to the hotel. I am sorry to read you were felt that the hotel hasn't changed over the last 20 years , however we are currently undergoing a refurbishment throughout the hotel starting with bedrooms and followed by the front of house area. There will also be a new menu coming into place.

The work should hopefully be completed by the end of June 2017 so if you are passing please drop in to see what changes have been made or even treat yourselves to a night away.