“No Hot Water!?!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Katy
Austin, Texas
“No Hot Water!?!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

I was really surprised on this one. My shower had ice-cold water and when I informed the front desk, they told me they were sorry for the inconvenience and that the boiler had been out for several days. Maybe I've just been lucky, but that's the first time I've been unable to take a hot shower at a hotel in the United States. The hotel didn't offer any kind of concession. To me, a hot shower is not an amenity, it's a clear expectation, but obviously to the Springhill Suites, it's a "nice to have".

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

The rooms are very nice! Sat tv in the rooms offers an excellent choice of channels. Fridge and microwave make for cold drinks and a quick snack or heated meal.

The breakfast is free but below average for a marriott springhill suites.

The kicker was the lack of HOT water!
After informing the front desk they informed us they were aware of the situation! We also found out from the front desk clerk on duty that even though this is a new hotel, tankless water heaters were not installed! They went with a tanked water heater! WHY?? Obviously they cheaped out on the essentials for providing a comfortable accomodation for the road weary!

The lack of hot water is completely unacceptable!!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Edinburg, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

I picked this hotel entirely because I was planning on spending all day at Katy Mills Outlet Mall (I gave in to my wife on this) before going to a conference at another property north of Houston. The hotel sits on one of the service drives leading to Katy Mills. There is also a Wal-Mart SuperCenter on one end of the block and an HEB grocery store 3 blocks the other direction. I usually like to pick up snacks or other supplies when I'm on a road trip.

The hotel was super clean, the rooms nice, Free Wi-Fi is always nice, staff was good - no real complaints. Pool looked nice, but a bit crowded. The free breakfast was a bit sparse and seating area was a bit crowded, but there is a Denny's adjacent to the property if you want a full, sit-down breakfast. (It's also a bit weird to complain about a free breakfast...)

Great value - there is a Residence Inn in the same Katy Mills complex, but Springhill was about $20 less, so I opted with this property. Residence Rooms are larger, but not by much - at least not at this one.

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I always ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
North Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Spent one night here on 05JUL2012. Bed was comfortable, room was quite and clean. Was told by front desk that breakfast was until 10 am. Arrived at 0920 to find the breakfast lady had already broken down the area and was told in broken english that it was 0930 and breakfast was over. Will stay elsewhere if I am in the area agian. Hotel is new but staff ruined the stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

The first room we were given was not clean. There were towels on the floor, trash in the containers, and used soap in the bathroom. At our request, we were given another room which was clean. During the night of our stay, in the second room, the toilet was not operating properly. We called down to the front desk and requested assistance. The front desk staff informed us that maintenance were unavailable and told us that all he could do was provide us with a plunger. We weren’t even offered a different room; I had to make the request. The manager was unavailable to speak with upon checking out. I’ve called twice since the stay and have not received a return phone. Terrible customer service !

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank YPM
San Antonio, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

I arrived there around 10 PM on the 12th of May. It appeared to be nice enough, clean enough as well. After watching television for a bit I got out of the bed around 12:50 in the AM to find a bug crawling around in my bed. I called and asked for a new room which they gave me but it took some time getting dressed and packing everything up. When I went downstairs to get the new room key they simply said, "Sorry about that." I asked if they sprayed for bugs regularly but this person didn't know as he was new. It was difficult to even relax in the new bed even though I completely stripped the bedding apart to check for more bugs. Not the best sleep I have ever had. When I went to check out the next morning a different person apologized and asked me if I would like a bottle of water. Hmmmmmm. A bottle of water for that experience...really.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank tedylw3
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed at this Marriott last week for two nights. The main door was locked when I came in from my very delayed flight. I was buzzed in and was check in quickly. My room was nice, average for Marriott standards, I fell asleep right away, I was so tired. I was woken up the next morning from all the highway traffic. My room was on 3rd floor and faced the pool, but I could still hear the semis and horns. My second night, there was a group of little kids (5-10 years old) playing in the pool. Shrieking and splashing, it sounded like they were having a blast. However it was after 11pm. I am not sure what time the pool closed, but seriously A: shouldnt they be in bed? and B: why can i hear them through my closed window? The hotel is basically in the Mall's parking lot and there isn't much else around. It is close to I10, but other than that, unless you are going specifically to go to Katy Mills stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business