“Real Pit BBQ in clean and friendly atmosphere”
Review of Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack - CLOSED

Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2014

While in Kerrville visiting our son and his family we enjoyed some excellent pit BBQ. We had ribs, brisket, pork and three sides to share as we passed dishes around the Table. We chose to sample the lean brisket over the marbled, good choice as the crust on the brisket added that extra you expect with good BBQ, the ribs were also delicious and the pork was moist and full of flavor. Sides were cilantro slaw, beans and smoked red pepper soup, all were flavored to accommodate the BBQ as were the BBQ staples of sliced onion and dill pickle.
Added bonus we got to visit with the owner and swapped stories of Central Texas, Hill Country and Dallas BBQ with added in tips of different cooking methods and their tastes.
A must return place, next trip to Kerrville.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Finally got around to trying Cal-Bobs (take out this time) & the brisket was the best I've had since EZ Pickens in Harper closed. I look forward to trying everything else if I can just get past the brisket. ps, Cal-Bob is a vet like me & a heck of a nice guy. He donates 10% of his proceeds on Fri & Sat to Team Red White & Blue & that means a lot to my family.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

wrote a review when we first came to Kville. 2 years later it's still the best bbq I've ever had. the shack is tiny and the hours have been cut back (Wednesday-Saturday) but I go back there at least once a week. the turkey, pork, and prime rib are the best. I always buy my thanksgiving turkey from cal.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

When my husband & I first drove up to CalBob's on a Thursday night, we debated whether to go in. The owner met us outside to tell us he was sold out of BBQ & to come back tomorrow. I was skeptical (the place looks kinda sketchy from the outside), but I went back the next day for lunch (hubby was working). I got the pulled pork sandwich & ribs, took it back to our room, ate half of it, & picked up the phone & called in another order to take back home. That was the best pulled pork sandwich I have ever had, & I've had a lot of BBQ in my life. As I told CalBob when I went back, the pork had a marvelous flavor, & it didn't taste like someone had poured liquid smoke all over it (shudder). My husband is not a fan of pork ribs, & I got some for him to try later. Very meaty & flavorful. We went to Franklin's BBQ in Austin 2 days later, & I think CalBob's had better ribs than Franklin's (& we spent 4, yes 4, hours in line that day @ Franklin's). I want to go back to CalBob's on a Friday night& try his smoked salmon. My husband raved about the cilantro coleslaw, but I'm not a fan of cilantro. Be sure to check the hours when CalBob's is open before you go.

1  Thank Kathy G
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Would really like to know how this small place made it to #1 on Trip Advisor, with some of the restaurants Kerrville has to offer? Something is a miss here! Ate here when they first opened...wasn't impressed, so I decided to try it one more time. Finally finding it open and eating lunch...nothing was outstanding and not near as good as our other BBQ restaurants in Kerrville. I do not like having to order by the OUNCE and I do not like any FAT on my brisket when I ask for it to be very lean. There is no room for many to dine at one time. I am thinking this guy must have lots of friends that are getting a free sandwich to post good reviews on Trip Advisor. Just saying!

3  Thank Xpressions2004