“Nice, clean hotel”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Kilgore
Gun Barrel City, Texas
“Nice, clean hotel”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Recently stayed here for a week while attending a work related seminar. The hotel is large, clean, and well- kept. It is a bit hard to figure out which driveway is theirs, as one reviewer stated; but he/she is wrong in that there is 5 different ways to get into the parking lot, not just one. But all are thru other businesses or along side their parking lots so it can be confusing. I had mapped it out and knew we shared a parking lot next to Chili's so once I found the restaurant I had no trouble getting to the hotel. Gotta agree that Cher is definately an asset. The daytime clerks were ok as well, but we had a lot of interreaction with Cher in the evenings and she is a bundle of energy. Always from one side of the room to another and always with a smile. There were others there who were there for the week and she greeted some by name when they would come in. I noticed a lot of people would stop at her desk and visit for a few minutes on their way in and out because of her friendliness. She recommened a couple of restaurants to me ( upon asking ) when I checked in and she seemed to be the 'go-to' person for sure. My room was roomy and everything worked fine. The bed was very nice. There were more towels in the bathroom than most hotels furnish and that was big plus. The 'whirlpool' at the pool was just 'ok' - it was clean but definately kept luke warm. It took 3 nites of asking for them to turn it up to a decent 100 degrees. The free breakfast was plentiful but a couple of items only about average. There were three kinds of dry cereals, different bagels, different selections on breads for toast, all kinds of condiments such as cream cheese, butters, peanut butter spread, ketchup, salsa, etc. A hot waffle maker, plenty of syrup. Boiled eggs. Fruits. Lots of coffee, two juice selections, and two milk selections. In a hot serving tray was eggs, biscuits, and sausage every day. The biscuits were good, the sausage patties ok, the sausage links rubbery and unedible, and the eggs were okay on scrambled egg day but nasty on the other days. I am not sure if they were poached or fried or what, but no one was eating them - just making snide comments about them. So we skipped the eggs and still had PLENTY of choices. I noticed the banannas went fast every morning.
There is a little complementary happy hour in the lobby area each evening from 5:30 to 7pm where they put out some beer and two bottles of wine. That was a big draw for the regulars who were there for the whole week, including my group. Nothing wild or exciting - just a place to sit at the tables and visit for a couple of hours. We enjoyed it greatly.
The hotel is located just as you get into town and is centrally located to a lot of things. We were about 3 mins from our seminar/classes ; next door ( walking distance !) to a Chili's and a CVS pharmacy ; across the street from Walmart; and many more restaurants within a mile or two at the most. The downtown area was just south about a mile or so as well.
I will definately stay here again if in Kilgore.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This four-story property is quite prominent, but getting to it from the main highway is tricky since one enters through a Chili's parking lot. Entry signage is non-existent until you practically pull up at the front door. Once there, however, you're rewarded with a newer, well-maintained property with convenient close-in free parking and an eager-to-please front desk staff. "Suite" is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, the rooms are spacious, but the only thing separating the bed area from the sitting area is a barely noticeable projection. The foyer is very ample but nothing else - it's almost wasted space as the closet is at the opposite end of the room by the bed. There's no mirror, no settee, no nothin' in this entry area. The bathroom is nicely proportioned and well-stocked, but the nut on the closed bathtub drain (Why, oh why, do maids insist on closing bathtub drains when I'm sure 75% of guests take showers?) came off in my hand when I tried to open it. My king-sized bed was precariously close to the wall and air conditioning unit owing to the disposition of other furniture in the room. But it was wonderfully comfortable. Again, inadequate lighting makes work difficult after dark - but this is a common problem with most hostelries these days, alas. And the sockets at the base of the bedside table lamps are marvelous conveniences for CPAP users such as myself. Housekeeping at this property was of a very high standard. Having laundry facilities just down the hall was a God-send. The coin slider on the dryer would tend to stick, but a call to the front desk had that problem remedied quickly and in a friendly manner. There is a free breakfast offered each morning but it didn't look terribly appetizing so I didn't avail myself of it. Fellow guests were griping about the coffee being barely warm and not replenished as the breakfast hour drew to a close. There's a vending area just off the lobby with reasonably priced soft drinks and snacks But $1.50 for a small box of Tide for the washer? C'mon!

Room Tip: If you're on the front, you get a sweeping view of the back of a Chili's, a busy highway, an...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

Was in town for business this time and could not have been at a better time! Could hardly believe my luck that Chef Robert Irvine and the entire crew of Restaurant Impossible was staying at the hotel!!! They were in town to redo a local cafe. The crew appeared to be quite large but I have to say the staff handled it quite well. I was in the lobby area when Chef Irvine checked in, and it was quite exciting for me. I asked him for an autograph for my daughter who is a huge fan and he could not have been more pleasant. We chit chatted for a few minutes and took a few pictures before he had to rush off to start filming. I was surprised to see them in such a small town, but not surprised they had chosen this hotel to stay at. The hotel it self is the best in this town and the service is impeccable. It was the high light of my week to stay here!!! I will always stay here when in town!

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Raimon G
OKLAHOMA
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We were traveling home from Florida, tired, using GPS and somehow still lost. Had read great reviews about this hotel in Kilgore so made a reservation over the phone. Once arrived in Kilgore and GPS said "you have arrived at your destination"...we were in the middle of NOWHERE!! The GPS was incorrect. We called the hotel directly and Cher, an employee, made us stay on the line as she guided us street by street to town and then to the hotel!! I am SURE that there is no other hotel or employee that would take the time to assist a customer. Not only did she go the extra mile, we arrived and she was still extremely nice and helpful rather than being upset as many these days would be. If we ever need to stay in Kilgore again, we will definitely be staying there!! Also, rooms extremely clean (we are very picky people so that is not often said by us), the front desk called to check if we needed anything after settling into the room, the ammenities were well kept and the staff were all very nice in the evening as well as in the am. This is our first time to stay at a comfort suites, usually we stay at embassy suites but were discussing on our way home that we will be staying at comfort suites more often if not always now from this excellent experience!! THANK YOU CHER!!! we are still laughing about how you had to get us to the hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

Attending school at Kilgore, I selected this motel. The motel was very clean, the room ac worked much better than the average motel... The ac in most motels takes half the night to cool the room down... Not here. The bed was very comfortable and I was able to go to sleep right away... Not always the case. They have a nice snack selection down stairs. The breakfast comes with the room, being the typical hotel breakfast of eggs, sausage,biscuits, gravy, cereals, waffles, and pastries with juice, milk, and coffee. The eggs were bland. The front desk was helpful and friendly. Overall, a very pleasant stay.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Mark B
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I had a nice weekend in Kilgore, but the Comfort Suites didn't move the meter much.
The breakfast offered had good staples; yogurt, bagels, oatmeal, fresh fruit, coffee & tea. You can make your own waffle. The waffle iron makes your waffle in the shape of Texas. That was fun. However, if there is a large group @ breakfast...good luck with that.
The computer in the lounge was extremely slow. The elevator also slow. I used the stairs at the opposite end of the hall to climb 4 floors and still beat the elevator. Stairwell stinks like turpentine. Carpet nasty. The pool is small- indoors. The hot tub even smaller. Facility appeared old and not inviting.
Staff is very accompodating and friendly. Room quiet / cool. Cozy bed, comfy pillows.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank back2mac09
Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Who knew a Comfort Inn in Kilgore Texas could provide such first-rate service along with nice, clean rooms, free internet, and a a very tasty free breakfast. The staff was helpful and pleasant at all times. Our room was a nice size, with a large bathroom and a good, hot shower. We plan to stay here again the next time we are in Kilgore.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JTJT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilgore
Hampton Inn Kilgore
Best Western Longview
Best Western Longview
#3 of 34 in Longview
La Quinta Inn & Suites I-20 Longview South

Been to Comfort Suites - Kilgore? Share your experiences!