“I Would Definitely Look Elsewhere :(”

Amco Hotel and Suites
Ranked #27 of 33 Hotels in Killeen
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I just PCD's to Fort Hood and booked this hotel off of the internet due to the reviews I read and the fact that they are a dog-friendly hotel. When I first pulled up at the hotel, I immediately wanted to switch to a different hotel because the hotel just looked dirty and run-down. I had to stay there, however, due to not having canceled my reservation 24 hours in advance. I wound up staying 2 nights here until I was able to get into the Shilo Inn (which I highly recommend) due to the difficulty of getting into a hotel during the summer PCS season.

The staircases in the hotel are filthy, with trash and dead bugs in them. The room smelled musty, and I had to put on flip-flops just to feel comfortable walking around the room. One of my towels in the bathroom had something hard and brown on it. There is a small, grassy area in front of the hotel, but there were numerous piles of dog poop all over the place. I wanted to do laundry in the guest laundry room, but the laundry room was dirty and I felt like my clothes would be stolen if I turned around for even a few minutes. The room definitely needed a dehumidifier, because the air conditioning unit puts so much moisture into the room that the carpet feels moist. The staff is also rude.

This hotel is also in a bad part of Killeen, very close to Rancier Avenue and all of the associated crime that comes with that part of town. I didn't really feel comfortable leaving my cars in the parking lot because this part of town is very seedy.

I would recommend staying in another hotel, in a better part of Killeen. There are several other hotels very close to Fort Hood that are dog friendly If you stay here, you will be one of three things: dissapointed, disgusted, or some combination of the two :(

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 July 2010

The hotel room was dirty, smelly, and low budget. There was dog poop everywhere outside of the hotel. There is only high speed internet in a small portion of the hotel. I was quoted a price when I made the reservation, and when I checked out I noticed that they had overcharged me. I told them what I was quoted and they told me there was nothing they could do. There was no manager available to speak to and the front desk worker was extremely demeaning and rude towards me. I had to call corporate headquarters in order to get the correct rate. It may be a cheap hotel, but you get what you pay for. They are NOT military friendly. Spend a little extra money and stay somewhere else. Trust me, it will be worth it.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2010

The ownership treated us like family. The owners & staff were very supportive while we were waiting for our son to return home from Iraq. The Inn is the closet one is to Fort Hood which is convenient for the Army familyt.They were very accomodating, allowing us to use their lobby computer for updates....even after we checked out....The quality in this Quality Inn is in the qualities of the owners & staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I stayed in this motel with my family when I went to visit my son, who is in the army. It was conveniently located near the army base, and was both affordable and had good spacious rooms. The pool was also a plus. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Quality Inn in Killeen. Usually when I stay at a hotel the rooms are average size and minimal in terms of space but, average does not seem to describe this hotel. The room was large enough for 6 people. The breakfast was provided in plenty. The service and staff were exceptionally friendly. All in all, it felt as if I was staying at Holiday Inn with a Motel 6 price.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2009

We just PCSed here to Fort Hood. I made my reservation at the Quality Inn over the Internet ... and ironically enough, I partially based my decision on these very reviews.

It is now obvious to me that at least a few of the "reviews" on google must be fake, or at the very least very much slanted to accentuate the positive.

Here's my take ...

First the good: The staff was very friendly, the room has plenty of space, and the breakfast, while not as good as some other hotels I've stayed in, was not bad.

As for the rest ...

The location IS within a short distance of shopping and food, BUT more than one person who lives here, told us that it might not be safe to walk the couple of hundred yards to the 7-11 after dark. (enough said)

While the beds and furniture in the room were "adequate", describing this hotel as Quality actually strikes me as a little ironic. Just the whole feel of the room would probably be better described as "cheap".

The kids were disappointed because the Quality Inn pool is "closed for the season", yet we saw people swimming in the pools at other hotels just up the street.

The best part was, when we rented a movie and planned to hook up my son's xbox so we could watch it, only to discover that the TV in the room had no AV jack ... so, no movie.

Overall, if you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay, this hotel is probably not an awful choice.

But if you have options, and especially if you're getting travel pay from the military, there many nicer hotels here in the Killeen area.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2008

My partner booked this hotel directly because it was in perfect location right near Fort Hood. The suite we stayed in was well layed out and quite spacious. Breakfast was average. Overall pritty good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)