“Easy Hike”

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Kountze
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Big Thicket National Preserve, part of the National Park Service, offers 40 miles of hiking trails. You can go birding in spring or fall. Rent canoes or kayaks to explore the lakes and bayous. Big Thicket has hunting part of the year, off-road biking the rest of the year.
Reviewed 18 April 2013

What an easy way to get in touch with nature! My husband and I enjoyed a picnic near the visitors center and then took a relaxing hike. We are looking forward to trying other trails in the future.

4  Thank DebstheOne
"all ages"
"pitcher plants"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

The Big Thicket is a good sized area of everything good about East Texas. Cultural history here is deeply in trenches. More important is the natural history of the area. This is the last place where the Ivory Billed Woodpecker was actually SEEN. It is a unique Eco system and home to all manner of interesting wildlife. It would take a week to even scratch the surface (if you are into observing wildlife). Start with the visitors' center. Then branch out from there. Even if you're only slightly interested, it is worth a stop.

5  Thank bureaucrat377
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We went to Big Thicket as casual birders and hoped to see some upland birds. No luck! We took a couple of excellent walks in the woods -- Kirby was particularly nice with long, easy, well-maintained trails through a variety of different habitats -- but saw only a dozen birds, and most of them were elusive little jobs flying off through the brush. The visitor center was pretty good, but the ranger on duty was unhelpful. I'd like to go back to Kirby at a better time, as I'm told it has much better birding than we saw.

3  Thank MarkLOlson
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Thankfully the National Park System has preserved this wonderfully fascinating landscape from the ravages of.... well....Texas. There is little to do in Beaumont so grab a canoe rental, some binoculars and put on some sturdy shoes to head into Big Thicket.

3  Thank SounDavid
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The Big Thicket National Preserve in southeast Texas is divided into many separate units located in Hardin, Tyler, and Polk Counties, to the north and northwest of Beaumont, TX. The visitor center is located near Village Mills, TX, off of US 69, and US 287, about 35 miles northwest of Beaumont. I had visited there before, and on my most recent trip, I was too late in my travels to get there before they closed at 5 PM. Instead I decided to visit a unit I had never been to before. The one I chose is Beech Creek, near the towns of Town Bluff and Spurger, TX in Tyler County. Signs directing you to the hiking trail in the park are well marked. The parking lot off of the Farm to Market Road was not paved, and I was the only one there that afternoon. The pamphlet that was provided at the entrance to the trail explained that the Big Thicket is unique since there is a blend of trees and plants, between what you normally find to the east, in Louisiana and Mississippi, and flora from the southwest, in West Texas. Also the area was heavily damaged by Hurricane Rita in 2005. Many trees were destroyed, but the forest is in the process of growing back. It was a warm, sunny afternoon in March when I took my hike, and the temperature was in the 70's. Farther north, in the Midwest and Northeast USA, it is still snowing, so one could do worse than take a quiet stroll in Spring like weather, while it is still officially winter. If I had had the time I would have liked to have visited some of the other hiking trails in other units of the Big Thicket National Preserve.

2  Thank TallTexWally

Been to Big Thicket National Preserve? Share your experiences!