“So good, we went back the next day!”
Review of Casa Maria

Casa Maria
Ranked #39 of 74 Restaurants in Kyle
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
New Bedford, Massachusetts
“So good, we went back the next day!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

While in Texas, Tex-Mex is easy to come by. I believe in 5 days, we consumed some type of Tex-Mex for all except two meals (including breakfast.) We stopped at Casa Maria for pure convenience (dropping off the guys for a bachelor party up the road at the race track). We walked in through the bakery portion of the building, which was filled with picture-perfect pastries that easily could have been our lunches instead! We were greeted by a beautiful hostess who walked us to a table and gave us fresh chips and salsa. Our order was served in a timely fashion, the portions were HUGE, and the prices very reasonable. The experience was so enjoyable that we pulled off I-35 the next day and had lunch there again.

• Visited March 2014

“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I've tried this restaurant a few times, the food has always been mediocre at best, the service gets worse very time. The last thing I ordered was the crane guisada which looked horrible and honestly tasted the way that canned dog food smells. Today after navigating their ridiculously planned parking lot, I sat at the bar for 15 minutes without service. I asked another couple seated at the bar how long it had been since they had seen a server or bartender, they told me that the host made their drinks and no one had been back since. When I left, I stopped by the host station and asked the host if they were aware that they had no bartender, her reply was a very snotty "yes" before walking away.

Visited March 2014
Austin, Texas
“Great place, good Mexican food an a awesome bakery”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We went yesterday for dinner , I was impress of this beautiful place , they have all kind of Mexican pastries and the food was so good , beans are the best , we will go back soon

• Visited November 2013
San Marcos, TX
“Average, but acceptable”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I'm not very obserant. I passed by this place at least a dozen times in the last month or two and only noticed it today. I'm always looking for a good Mexican restaurant that doesn't shout "yuppie hipster". This one is not real bad. Atmosphere leaves something to be desired. Kinda bright. Service is pretty good. It was the after church lunch crowd when I went so there was a lot of bustle amongst the wait staff. I had my usual test meal (1 chicharrones, 1 barbacoa and 1 al pastor.) Did not find the alpastor all that great, but it was acceptable and the chicharrones and barbacoa were good.

• Visited September 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Really Good Tex-Mex & Authentic Mex...Fantastic Bakery!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We went in last night with a party of 8. We had very good service. Our waiter was attentive and helpful with the menu. We even got input from another waitress about what she thought was the best thing that day...she was so convincing that my husband ordered it (al pastor) and we were not disappointed. It was delicious and spiced perfectly. I was very tempted by the barbacoa (cheek meat) but instead I ordered cheese enchiladas that *gasp* had some REAL cheddar! They were very good. In a recent review I made about Tiago's (in San Antonio), I mentioned their awesome chips, how crispy and delicious they were--well, Casa Maria gets their chips from the exact same place in Austin. They are 100% the same and are just SO yummy! We would love to go back for breakfast, because the menu looked fantastic. The only negative--why I wouldn't give this place 5 stars--is because the queso was disappointing. We ordered a large--but it was a cup, full of queso that looked like it came out of a can. My kids didn't care--they loved it--but it would be a good step up if they made their own queso. The Panaderia is loaded with Mexican goodies like cuernos, empanadas, sprinkles cookies (galletas de grajella) and orejas (like French Palmiers). I got a few for the kids and they enjoyed them immensely. They're not super-sweet like American pastries can be. Very good. This restaurant has much to be proud of considering they are doing so great right out of the gate. A nice addition to Kyle. We will be back.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Casa Maria? Share your experiences!