“Rundown”

Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Rundown”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

So disappointing. Place run down. Few people in attendance. Food awful. Could not eat chicken wings nor nachos.

Racing and betting was fun, but with one race per 15 minutes, you want to be in nicer facility and nicer food.

Prices cheap, but I would have paid 2x if food was edible!

Too bad.

Visited July 2014

The Woodlands, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“An evening at the dog park.”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I don't normally do reviews, but I was absolutely amazed at how poor the ownership of the facility is. I have never experienced a dog race in my life and me and my wife were looking for something new to experience on the weekend. On a Saturday we drove from The Woodlands down to the track for our first race. We arrived at a fairly empty parking lot and strolled inside and paid $3 for each of us to watch the races in the clubhouse where there is a concession stand disguised as a restaurant. The building was huge and empty as we arrived thirty minutes before the first race. We took the escalators upstairs (one of the two escalators was out of commission) and was instantly immersed in a strong cigarette smoking odor. The whole facility reaked of twenty years of heavy cigarette consumption. As both me and my wife are non-smokers we were taken back.
The upstairs portion was split into two sections. The first and larger section was the general admission section which had zero inhabitants. The clubhouse with the restaurant is the section where everybody went to watch the races. The clubhouse had the tables(for four) to sit, dine, and watch the dog races. Each table a small antiquated television box which I fully expected to have a spot to put in your favorite betamax tape. The servers were friendly and very engaged. Unfortunately there were not enough of them. There were about thirty tables of customers and only two servers. Don't expect anything better than concession style food. I ordered a hamburger and fries for myself and the wife had the soup and salad. The quality of the food and the menu was very disappointing. As expected with not enough servers, drinks were delivered about twenty minutes after ordering. Our meal arrived about thirty minutes after ordering and the server forgot to bring out my wife's soup which the server followed with a face-slap and the soup ten minutes later. And about the table, we requested to be sat in the non-smoking section. Well luckily we were seated in the non-smoking section only that the table in front of us and to the left of us had customers smoking. With all the people there we only noticed three kids at the facility. I would expect that the park would be a great place to take the family, but after this trip I could understand why parents did not.
The restrooms at the facility were absolutely disgusting. The restrooms had not been cleaned properly or at all and were in dire need of modernizing. I am glad that I only had to make one trip while I was there.
The actual dog races were great. Me and the wife enjoyed watching the dogs circle the track and we won on three of the races. So I can say that I won more than what we bet and at least came out ahead.
My advice to the owner of Gulf Greyhound Park. Please sell the facility to someone that will make changes to the Park. As a first time customer, I could tell the facility was built twenty years ago and absolutely nothing has changed since. Gulf Greyhound Park has so much potential to be a fantastic attraction. The facility needs remodeling and massive changes to how the operation of the business works. Gulf Greyhound Park could be the top attraction in the area but instead the Park is slowly on a collision course to going out of business.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank PeyWilli
Wichita, KS
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Don't know how they stay in business.”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

So few people there I can't imagine how they can stay open. We ate in the clubhouse and it was terrible - would have been better of getting a hotdog from the snack bar. But, it is a greyhound track so you shouldn't expect too much. Won a couple of races so at least it didn't cost me anything.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank twgloege
Killeen, Texas
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Love The Dogs”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I love watching the dogs run and we always have a great time here. Free parking, $2 general admission, but for $3 you get a private box in the clubhouse in a non-smoking section with a waiter and closed circuit TV! We were here on Thursday nite and it was $1 beer. Just ask and they will send you a personal trainer to give you tips on betting and selecting your racers. You can go outside trackside and see them up close and watch them parade by on the way to the gates. There is a full bar and a fair selection of menu items for dinner or snacks. $2 bets or $6 quinellas make it a fun and affordable nite. We won enough to pay for our beverages and dinner later on the seawall in Galveston. We come here every trip to Galveston, only a 15 minute trip from most hotels on the island.

Visited September 2013
6 Thank TXEyeGuy
The Colony, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Experience Greyhound Racing”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This biggest greyhound racing facility I'm sure as seen it's glory days, however, could use some modernizing. Modernize the boards that display the numbers/odds/winners, etc. Also might want some smoke eaters :)

Visited July 2013