“Stress free stay”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites La Porte
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in La Porte
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We switched to this hotel after ditching our reservation at another local hotel after a terrible experience (see my review of the Days Inn). The rate was higher than I wanted to pay but was able to save a few bucks with my AAA card. Overall we felt safer and the rooms were much nicer and very clean. The staff was fantastic and as an IHG member we were treated like royalty. Breakfast was perfect and we found everything we needed.

The room was large and ours faced the 146 highway but we didn't hear the traffic over the hum of the air conditioner. The beds were comfortable and we had a choice of soft or firm pillows. Our room contained a small area with a kitchen sink, good size refrigerator, and microwave, including a few utensils and plates.

We didn't get into the small pool but it looked refreshing enough for a dip if they would regularly clean the bugs and garbage that had blown into it. There was ample parking and were always greeted as we entered the lobby.

All and all, this was a great stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kairlotta
HIE L, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites La Porte, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in La Porte Texas for the second time. I can not say enough good things about this place. The first time I was there I left something behind, and almost 3 weeks later when I returned it was still there waiting for me. Rei, Shamin, Christina and Jessica all go out of their way to make sure that you are comfortable and have everything you need. Their recommendations for restaurants were spot on. I was impressed that the people there all stayed busy, constantly cleaning in all areas. All in all the service was great and I would highly recommend this property to anyone traveling to the Houston area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HIE L, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites La Porte, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is where I stay every time I come to La Porte. Its nothing fancy, but it's clean, roomy, bright. I like the location--right across the way from the Kroger. I haven't stayed in the other La Porte hotels because I'm satisfied with this one.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoy our large suites and cleanliness. Our staff puts their hearts and souls into making sure every guest has the best stay possible. If there is anything we can assist you with during your future stays please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel. Happy Travels!

Reviewed 11 July 2013

We had a relaxing weekend gateway away from home. My first impression of the hotel not happy.. I think it needs updating. Even though it looks nice!The rooms are very large and clean, but the towels were a little worn out. But Slept really good though. I must say, We enjoyed the breakfast the most. Overall the hotel is nice and clean but needs some serious makeover. The staff was very friendly, and made me feel very welcome. I surely recommend staying at this hotel..

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Totally impressed with the size and cleanliness of the hotel. Everything is new, the staff was excellent and congenial. Breakfast was great and breakfast area was excellent.
Review would have been 5 star except for 2 items. Both items can be and was worked around. The first was the set up of the closet. Clothes rod was just above room safe and didn't give enough room to hang up clothes. There is a shelf midway up holding bedding for the couch-pullout. The easy fix would be swap the position of the clothes rod and shelf. The other complaint would be not enough counter space around the sink in the bathroom. This was worked around without too much of a problem, but... This is not an easy fix, but would have to be addressed when hotel was built. The Bath is huge, but the placement of toilet beside sink, doesn't allow for larger counter...
These problems are not enough to keep this hotel from being an excellent stay and value. I WILL stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Not having been to Houston before, I was unprepared for the bleakness of La Porte, a flat, desolate area where the wind direction dictated whether you would be inhaling hydrocarbons or not. If I didn't have business at the port I'd have kept on driving!

But the Holiday Inn was as expected...a few stories high, no problems with parking and a breakfast bar that included cereal, yoghurt and fresh fruit amongst the sausages and muffins.

My room was a complete surprise, though. I know it says "suites" in the name, but I have rented one-bedroom apartments that were smaller. The couch and flat panel tv in the lounge were definitely 'full size' and it was nice to stretch out and watch a hotel movie on a decent screen for a change. Even better, I did not hear the neighbours once, which is very unusual for any hotel (and I had them, I saw Mister Neighbour go into his room one evening).

Now despite all this space, the bedroom itself was meagre in comparison to the full sized kitchen and lounge area. My suitcase was OK over on the other side of the room, but if I'd had a partner one of us would have been tripping over it getting to the bed.

Similarly with the bathroom, which was a pretty normal size for a bathroom but felt cramped after the acres out in the lounge.

In truth, all that space was wasted on me and I rattled around a bit, but I'm certainly not complaining!

So, those were the good points. The bad points were that there is nothing within walking distance - and not much in the way of footpaths that I saw - so you will need a car to get around. And I had to leave for an early flight and when I hit the shower at 4:10am there was no hot water. Lucky that even in April Texas is still pretty warm. Worse for me, and very inexplicable, after I came back to the room on my second day, the bedroom smelled moldy. It is a pet hate of mine and I found it very strange because there was no hint of this when I checked in.

And why do American hotels persist with those in-window air con units? OK, it's not quite in-window at this Holiday Inn, but it's still a direct conduit to the noise of the 146 that was just outside my bedroom. And they are noisy, even on the 'low' fan setting, so I suffered being warm rather than risk industrial deafness running the blower a few feet from my ears all night.

Still, our current project makes revisiting La Porte likely and if so I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the east side so you don't hear the highway
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tghu V
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites La Porte, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear Tghu V,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stopped over in La Porte on our drive from Texas back to Georgia because we wanted to visit San Jacinto and the Battleship Texas. The hotel was nice and clean. We got the apartment-style room which was humongous. The breakfast was good and the staff were nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family