Americas Best Value Inn & Suites- LaPorte / Houston
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in La Porte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I booked this room at $42.00 per night plus tax through a points program via my Mastercard for my son and me while visiting family in the area. I pre-paid for the room and presented a voucher upon check-in. The young girl behind the counter did not know what to do with the voucher and we experienced some confusion regarding how to use it.

The Days Inn is more like a two-story motel, where you drive up to your room and enter from the outside. It was right next to the busy 146 freeway and very noisy. I knew we had made a mistake as soon as I looked around the parking lot and caught a glimpse of the clientele. It became quite apparent that this is an extended stay hotel for blue-collar workers in the area. The parking lot was full of big muddy trucks and peculiar looking clientele stomping around in big dirty boots. In fact, several men were using the parking lot as a place to change the oil and fix a flat tire. Really?

The room was extremely tired and run-down and I felt like we had just walked back into 1980. The tube TV didn't work and the fridge and microwave were mustard yellow and appeared to be 20-years old. While the room was fairly clean, the furniture was very worn. Don't walk on the carpet in your bare feet. Gross. Bed was uncomfortable and sheets and comforter had cigarette burn holes. Very disgusted. I didn't sleep at all the first night, as I didn't feel safe. The door didn't seal well and I could see straight outside. I didn't trust the lock.

We were slated to stay a total of four nights, but we checked out the next day. The gentleman at the front desk refused to give me any kind of refund for the remaining nights. He asked why we were departing early and I told him I didn't feel safe here with my 10-year old son.

I later called my credit card who insisted on contacting Days Inn to see if they could get a refund for me. I did receive a very small refund, barely a nights stay. There are plenty other new options in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jackson, California, United States
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We had a group of 10 (5 couples) staying overnight at this motel, on our way to a Caribbean cruise. The accommodations were adequate and the rooms were very clean, quiet, and as expected for a Days Inn establishment. There weren't any restaurants within walking distance, however we had food delivered from a local place and the staff allowed us to take over the breakfast area so we could have our meal together as a group. Breakfast was they typical continental breakfast with waffles. However, the outstanding item to note was the customer service of this motel. The owners of this establishment were very accommodating for a large group as ours. The owners and their family went out of their way to transport all of my party, along with our baggage to the cruise port the next morning. All this occurred during the cold snap in the early part of December! I believe that customer service outranks any of the other amenities and I would recommend this motel to anyone wishing to stay in La Porte awaiting a cruise out of Houston. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level floor if you have a lot of baggage to move, as there are no elevators.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Edinburg, Texas
Reviewed 28 December 2013

According to the GPS the hotel is located in the middle of an expressway intersection. Take heed. Found the hotel about two blocks north, fairly new within the past 3 years but already looking a bit used. The front desk was very pleased that we were getting a Jacuzzi room and we were surprised because of the cost of the room was very reasonable. A traveling companion had made the reservations for 4 couples so we had no idea what we were getting. The room was large and was apparently a handicap accessible room, supposedly. The room was large, the furniture was pretty much trashed with missing or dangling handles on the dresser drawers. The wifi was intermittent, a nice TV. You needed a ladder to get in the slab of granite they called a bed. The bath was interesting and did have a nice shower head with lots of water although the paint was pealing and the grout was coming up around the tub. There is no way a handicapped person could get in the bathroom, the door was stuck on the carpet and would not open completely. We did not try the Jacuzzi, it did not look clean. Thank God we were there only one night waiting to get aboard a cruise ship. The management did promptly handle one problem, a guest parked a truck and motorcycle trailer in front of the rooms, taking up 6 parking spaces. Otherwise we did not complain abut the room, just left it alone and will not stay there again.

Room Tip: There are no good rooma
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these La Porte hotels

Greenville
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel was fine. The manager was quite anxious regarding payment. He jumped to the wrong idea when I first arrived. His daughter was able to calm him down. He never did apologize for his anxious behavior. Oh Well, it was still a great stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business