“Dissapointing”

and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Inspired by his Grand Tour, John Bourchier created Beningbrough; an Italian Palace nestled between York, Harrogate and Leeds. The impressive rooms are a perfect backdrop for the rich collection of portraits on loan from the National Portrait Gallery, Beningbrough's long term partner. The paintings feature people who have made, and are making, British history and culture and in 2015 (Mar-Oct)include contemporary portraits in a display of Royals: then and now. A working walled garden, grand herbaceous borders, sweeping lawns and a play area for children to let off steam, creates a year round garden. Picture postcard views can be seen from the garden and the parkland offers opportunities to explore riverside walks, ancient trees and hidden wildlife. The hands-on interactive galleries at this award winning property; Making Faces - 18th-Century Style, are perfect for discovering history and portraiture. Sitting for your own virtual digital portrait is a great way to send a lasting memory home or Clarence the Corgi can be your guide on the free family royal trail. A taste of servant life is found in the Victorian laundry and the friendly team bring the stories to life in the house. The walled garden restaurant serves morning coffee, afternoon tea and hot lunches include freshly picked produce. The shop has an extensive home and garden range and second hand books can be found in the library in the hall.
High Bentham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

While I have visited Beningbrough before it is some time since I have. I found the place disappointing its still a rather empty. Little attempt has been made over the years to add more furniture and the present regime seems more interested in museum type displays. These displays tell you nothing more than you could learn from a leaflet and distract from the atmosphere and aesthetics of the place.
The display of Royal portraits was dull and artistically worthless and do not get to see more than enough of them in the mass media.
The garden was good and given it was a weekday free from spoilt middle class kids.
My friend who has given up her NT membership( and just wanted to visit the café was asked to pay the full entry price just to use it.
The NT should stick to what it did best in the past in this area ,that is presenting historic interiors with taste and care.

1 Thank Grumpy-Dalesman

York, UK
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 268 helpful votes
“Feel let-down”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Benningbrough Hall is close to where we live - but we had never been there. The recent announcement that they were hosting some Royal Portraits spurred us on to visit.

The advertised a price of £5 in winter months. We assumed that 16th March would still be winter - but no - it's summer and a £9.50 bill per person.

We were told as we entered that the Hall had changed hands many times and that when the National Trust took over it was just a shell.

If you're visiting to admire opulence than you will be disappointed. There's a scattering of furniture in a few rooms and that's it. The Royal Portraits are also a disappointment.

Glad we've been but would not return

3 Thank Skeldergate
Glasgow, United Kingdom
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Could improve”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We visited on a cold March Sunday but despite that fact the place was extremely busy - so much so that the cafe was not big enough, queues formed at toilets, and there were just too many people milling around the house itself to enjoy at its best.
Might have been better going mid week (closed Mondays) admittedly, but these places should anticipate demand.
Typical NT high prices, but this obviously does not deter visitors.
The venue advertised a Royal portrait collection borrowed from London.There were relatively few royal portraits, and most of them contemporary. The house was otherwise stuffed full of portraits of bewigged 18th Century toffs on faded canvas.
Venues of this sort must realize that visitors like to enjoy a light refreshment during their stay, but their cafe was quite inadequate for the demand and resulted in doubling at tables with strangers and generally less than ideal environment.
The car parking was also not properly thought out and resulted in verge parking in the main driveway doubtless damaging the grass - but as nothing suitable was provided this was understandable.
Advice would be to try and go a bit off peak, choose a nice day to visit the gardens/grounds, and arrive early to get a decent parking bay.

York
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Over-priced!”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Have not been to Beningborough for many years, and won't go again. Whilst the parking is free, the entry if non NT members was £9.50 each, and no concessions.
The walled garden was nice but you could not see all of the laundry rooms. The advertised Royal Portraits were few and far between, very disappointing. The display for the billetted airmen was interesting but not well presented.
Would recommend going out to Dawnay Arms for lunch, rather than stay on site.

Holmfirth, England, United Kingdom
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Not as disability friendly as it could be and restaurant is expensive”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

At first glance this NT property appears to cater for people with disabilities since it has good disability parking, accessible restaurant, gardens and toilets but read on and you will see why it isn't all that disability friendly.
Firstly, however, we decided to have something to eat. I had seen the pork pie, peas and boiled potatoes on the menu and had nearly chosen this until I saw the size of the pork pie which was the smallest I had ever seen and is generally found on buffets as a 'nibble. At a price of nearly £8 this was just laughable since I can get this down the road from us, with a normal sizws pork pie for less than £3. Why when the NT charges the prices it does to get into their properties do they then charge again by producing food which isn't always of the best quality at grossly inflated prices?
I eventually settle on the ham and leek quiche with salad and coleslaw. Again at £8.50 this was far too much and the quiche was uninspiring. I was unable to taste either the ham or the leek and just in case I had suddenly lost all sense of taste, I gave a quarter of the quiche to my husband who was unable to taste the ham or leek either.We are rapidly getting to the point where, if the NT does not start treating its visitors or members better, we shall be avoiding their properties all together. We do not expect to be charged the high entry prices into the properties and then charged again through having to pay these inflated prices for the food?
The gardens are pleasant enough and the courtyard and restaurant area are pleasing. We were unable to take our Labrador into the gardens even if he had been on a lead and so had to leave him in the car. We couldn't leave him there for long so we were unable to look around the Hall.
We decided to walk around the parkland which was pleasant but I don't think that we realised that the walk around the peripheray was so long - and no toilets at a halfway point which sort of disadvantages the elderly, those with disabilities such as MS and those with small children.
On walking along the paths around the periphery I became very tired - I have MS and cerebral palsy - and it was noticeable that there weren't any benches which would have made a huge difference. We eventually met a young couple and, on explainng that I was very tired, suggested we cut across the field. With some relief we set off pleased that we could see a bench in the distance. Unfortunately on nearing it we found a haha and had no choice but to start walking alongside the wall. This seemed to go on forever and it was with some relief - as my legs were giving up at this point - that we found a gate into the children's playground. Another blow then was a notice stating 'no dogs.' Assistance dogs are allowed and whilst my Labrador does provide assistance he is not an official assistance dog.
We had to rest then set off again across some very muddy land; at this point my shoes were squelching and my orthotic device was covered in thick smelly mud and still the wall continued. Eventually we found a stile over an electrified fence ( which wasn't electrified). By this time I was exhausted and couldn't lift myself up onto the stile despite my husband helping me. The stile was very narrow anyway and would cause most people balance problems. After 20 minutes of rest - in which no-one came to help - I did manage to get up and over the stile.
My question is, if the stile denotes a place where members of the public can cross why has the Hall discriminated against people with disabilites and the elderly? It would not be too much to consider installing a simple gate so that it is accessible to all. It seems as though most organisations think they have done their bit if they have disabled toilets and parking which shows that they haven't any idea about disabilities at all.
So beautiful parkland, courtyard and pleasant gardens, Not all that dog friendly,, expensive food and inaccessbile for those with disabilites in some places which could easily be rectified with a little thought and very little money.