“Interesting Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dabbs Railroad Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llano
Dabbs Railroad Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Llano B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Interesting Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2008

My sister and I were the only guests the night that we were there. We picked our room (double beds only) across from a large, beautifully remodeled bath. The hotel provides nice bathrobes for any late-night bathroom trips down the hall. The room was small, but nicely furnished. We could hear water flowing over the dam under the bridge, which was a pleasant sound to fall asleep to. It felt strange being the only guests, and the manager left us alone as she was starting a job that night as a waitress. She gave us a key so that we could go out to dinner. After dinner, we watched a big screen TV in the dining area. There are no TVs, phones, or clocks in the rooms. I would have appreciated a box of tissues in the room or at least the bathroom.
The landscaping is really pretty and the yard goes down to the river. We saw lots of butterflies at dusk and an armadillo nosing around in the morning.
I asked if the place was haunted, and she said that activity had greatly diminished recently. The stair light was turned off when I returned from my room, and I KNOW that I didn't touch it. It was dark and I wouldn't have turned it off just to run into the room for a minute. My sister was downstairs and didn't touch it. So if you like ghosts, this would be a fun place.

• Liked — The Quiet
  • Disliked — The Quiet
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mary77030

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

We stayed at the Dabbs 10 years ago. Was an interesting
place. But now the new owner has restored the hotel and the place is wonderful. Tastefully decorated and charming.
Please give this B and B another chance. Our group enjoyed
the stay.

• Liked — Charming
  • Disliked — Bathrooms in hall
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Blondedoestravel
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2007

Disregard any reviews of the Dabbs prior to 2007---it's not a hippie flop house anymore! The new owner has clearly sunk considerable funds and energy into completely remodeling and upgrading the hotel as a wedding, reunion, or special event facility. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, the interior tastefully remodeled. But it's still as laid back and charming as ever: metal lawn chairs on the porch, old photos on the walls inside. The decor is definitely NOT the "silk flowers and cherubs" style of most smaller town B & Bs.

5 Thank LuckyWest
TEXAS HILL COUNTRY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2006

My wife and I wanted a romantic getaway and had heard about The Dabbs. We heard all this cool stuff about Bonnie and Clyde and how it was all Period with great bar-b qs and live music. We made the mistake of going there. It was one of the worst hotel experiences of my life. There was not enough light in the squallid little room to even play a game of scrabble. The bed made so much noise that romance was out of the question. And yes there were hoards of malnourished cats everywhere. I also recall being eaten alive by misquitos. THIS PLACE REALLY SUCKED! It was filthy, the bisquits and red eye gravy were nasty, The housekeepers graphic story of a tryst gone bad was truly sickening. Our stay was almost as bad as our stay at The Rock Cottages in Port Aransas. Too bad I did not know about Tripadvisor before taking those trips. Thanks, Skot

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Nastyness
  • Tips/Secrets — DONT WASTE YOUR CASH
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SKOTPHREA
2014dabbs, Manager at Dabbs Railroad Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
This 1907 historic railroad hotel changed ownership in 2007 and was completely remodeled, renovated, and updated, while at the same time,still maintaining its historic railroad hotel charm. Reviews written prior to 2007 most likely could have been accurate, However today, one may should not consider those when choosing the hotel for an upcoming meeting, family event, or as a simple overnight getaway.
arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2006

Proper attire to wear at the Dabbs should be patched bib overalls with a torn checkered shirt with long sleeves [no napkins]. A straw hat with at least two holes in it. An aged pair of combat boots with no laces. Top off your wear with a 12 inch piece of straw between your teeth. Pet owners there is no need to bring your pets as there are several dirty scrawny cats in and around the hotel. I guess it is cheaper to have alot of cats than buy a dish washer. As for the "cowboy breakfast" It would turn Hannibal Lexter off.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ogel
San Antonio, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2006

Arrived with the family to find a dirty, fly infested smelly excuse for lodging. We coudn't even bring ourselves to stay the night after taking a shower in what has to be the darkest bathroom on the planet. A four watt night light to illuminate the room? All I can say is that unless you really want to go out of your way to experience squalor- steer claer of this dump!

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank Mulepusher
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2005

The Dabb's has been a Texas institution since 1907... a bed and breakfast that sits right on the banks of the Llano River. Besides being the "end of the line" for east-west turn of the century train travel, the Dabb's main claim to fame is that Bonnie and Clyde used to hide out here when on the lam from the law. This is my fourth trip in the past 15 years, and this last experience was wonderful. Despite previous reviews on this site (which caused me to hesitate booking a room) I found the hotel to be clean and remodeled with antique furnishings reminiscent of the period. From the piano on the front porch, to the brass beds and light fixtures hanging from ceiling cords, this was the real deal. The staff went out of their way to accommodate, and I truly felt like I was able to make myself at home when the owner let us put beer and wine in the refrigerator downstairs. Out through the back porch door you can hear the waterfall and walk down by the river through a sizable garden that overlooks the town square and courthouse. Granted -- the rooms were small, and no TV's or radios -- but it's a great way to get in touch or have a romantic getaway weekend for two. Everything seemed upgraded since my last visit -- with new towels and bathroom fixtures. And nothing can beat waking up to the smell of bacon, biscuits and gravy, and world famous "cowboy coffee." This place definitely isn't for everyone, but a friend that accompanied me on this trip found the experience to be "amazing." If you can't imagine the strains of a guitar or piano while sitting under the stars with your feet in the river, then this is probably not the place for you.

7 Thank adboy68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llano
BEST WESTERN Llano
#1 of 1 in Horseshoe Bay
Lone Star Inn
Lone Star Inn
#2 of 3 in Llano

Been to Dabbs Railroad Hotel? Share your experiences!