“Minerva! Amazing service!”

Ranked #7 of 9 Llano B&B and Inns
centra, texas
“Minerva! Amazing service!”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My husband booked a room for us for my birthday. The overall experience was amazing! The facilities were exceptional. Gorgeous and right on the river. The room was very clean. Bed was extremely comfy. The porch/veranda wrapped all the way around the building and it was so tranquil to sit outside and read and enjoy the view. The pool and hot tub were very clean and well kept. The best part of the entire stay was Minerva. She is definately the hostess with the mostest! She made our stay fantastic. Very conscientious of our needs. Brought us iced beverages to the pool. Went into town and picked us up dinner and brought it back! She prepared an amazing homemade breakfast for us. We will definately be back!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank ljreid

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We found this magnificent place totally by accident. Much to our surprise, it was like a hidden gem.
You are treated like family. The place is so comfy and relaxing. It is truly a place to get a way to and enjoy your loved ones company. The river was like swimming in a warm huge bath tub. The food was great. The decor was tastefully done. And the house itself... breathtaking!!!! We can not wait to go back. We made great friends while there. We highly recommend this place. :)

Room Tip: They are all great!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Huntsville, TX, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Walden Plantation. It's located in a very peaceful setting just above the Llano River. The rooms were very comfortable and the breakfasts were very good. The pool and hot tub were in a great setting with a waterfall coming down from the hot tub into the pool.

The only major drawback is lack of good handicap accessibility from the parking lot to the rooms. The parking lot is 200-250 feet from the rooms and there is not a drive up close to the building. There is a good paved sidewalk however that leads from the parking lot to the rooms.

Since the Llano River was down to such a low level due to the drought, we did not try any water activities on the river.

Some other reviews mentioned the dead palm trees and plants. Yes they were present, however we also understand the effects of the severe drought the hill country has been going through for the last 3 years

Room Tip: There are only stairs going up to the second floor, but all lower level rooms are easily accessible...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charles L
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Walden plantation is the best place to just stop and take a break from the stress of life living in a big city. My husband and I are here from Dallas currently staying in a king room for our anniversary, we have no complaints whatsoever. We had a great homemade breakfast by a wonderful lady. We went shopping in fredricksberg the drive was great very scenic. We couldn't wait to get back and get in to the very plush very comfortable bed you could just stay there all day. We will be coming back regularly and most defiantly recommend this B&B for relaxation!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Jbacarreza
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I spent a couple of nights at the Walden Plantation and...let me just say I was sadly disappointed in the appearance property. Although the actual room was in great condition...the grounds left much to be desired. Definitely misleading on their website. Many dead plants, including two towering dead palm trees greet you. Then nearly all flower pots were empty, contained dead plants or just had dirt with no life at all. Sadly, it would probably take about $125 to make it actually look appealing. The grounds were lacking a lot of maintenance. Generally, I think that you expect decent coffee and actual cream for that coffee at a B&B. Not here. Coffee-mate and Folgers. The hot tub was not working properly - actually shooting out cold water out of the jets. When asking for help from the manager on duty I was met with a "What now?" response to a request for help. Sadly will not return or recommend to anyone looking for a getaway in Llano.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank upnhotair
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We were pleased when we arrived at night. The ambiance around the patio was good. Our room was nice, temp was good and bed was comfy. The sheets smelled clean. Breakfast was good. The downside of the stay was that the location is out in the middle of no where, the landscape is not maintained, dead plants in pots throughout, filthy pool and hot tub. To top it off, we didnt get room service the second night and came back to a dirty room with bed unmade and no clean towels. We will not be hoing back.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I chanced to see the Walden Plantation on Expedia when I was booking a business trip and needed a place to stay for two nights. I opted to stay here and see the countryside, rather than pay the same price and stay at yet another chain hotel where I knew exactly what to expect.

Never having stayed in a B&B, I took a chance on this one and did not regret it. Being from Los Angeles, the Texas Hill Country was something totally new for me. I gave myself plenty of time to drive from Killeen, so that I would not get lost out in the vast plains, and I did need the time as it was a little hard to find. I took the advice of a fellow traveler, and stopped at the excellent Coopers BBQ in Llano, and took my dinner to Walden. I was glad I did this, as Walden is FAR from any civilization or food, but I fell in love with it as soon as I got there. As others say, I WOULD call it a mini-hotel with 16 rooms (8 up, 8 down), set on a hill overlooking the river, which was almost completely dried up when I visited.

My first floor non-view room was large, decorated in Texas rustic modern (if that's a style!), and well-equipped for a hotel room...the bed was superb (soft and cozy, nice linens), bathroom great, I had a little refrigerator, and the TV was fine. The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly, and I did feel I was visiting their home/mini-ranch. Especially being on a business trip, it was a pleasant change from the run-of-the-mill hotel room. It was well worth the extra drive time I needed to get to my work site each morning. Due to my work schedule, I did not have the house breakfast at all. Each night before I came back to the hotel, I stocked up on breakfast bars, bananas, etc for breakfast the next day, and bought snacks for the evening.

The breakfast area and pool are lovely, grounds well kept, and with their cowboy groundskeeper I even met their property's huge, awe-inspiring long-horn cattle...a real thrill for a city gal! This place is extremely quiet and relaxing. When I woke up very early, I saw the sun rise silently over a clear landscape, with animals grazing quietly nearby, and landscape spreading as far as the eye could see. I got a glimpse into another way of life. It was a true respite for me!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llano
Best Western Llano
#1 of 4 in Llano
Rio Vista Resort
Rio Vista Resort
#5 of 7 in Kingsland

Been to Walden Plantation? Share your experiences!