“Great Texas Balloon Race”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Longview
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Longview
Vidor, Texas
“Great Texas Balloon Race”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stay at this hotel each year for the Great Texas Balloon Race festivities. It has never disappointed! All rooms are inside, so security is good; lobby is well furnished and a good place to sit when waiting for the rest of the family to get ready for early morning trip to the airport for the hot air balloon show! We'll be back every year!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pocola
Reviewed 29 August 2011

we stayed at this motel and it was very clean, nice and great location. we had to go to a funeral and needed a place to stay. i will be going again to stay to visit family. Alot cleaner and nicer than motel 6 right down the road.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen R
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We will not return to this hotel, which is disappointing, because the beds were comfortable, our bathroom was clean, and the room was well-lighted and well laid out. The staff, however, were not polite with us at all, and there were other things that were just kind of creepy about this place. I arrived a little after 10 pm in the evening, with my two very sleepy young children and too much luggage in tow. I found the front door locked and unable to be opened. The front desk person talked to us through a bullet-proof glass window; after finding my reservation, shoved a key out of a small slot and told me that for her safety the front door was locked from the inside at 9 pm and could not be opened, that the kids and I had to walk around the outside of the not-brightly-lit building to a side door and use our key to get in.The side door turned out to be blocked by a four-foot-tall heavy thing like a big grey traffic cone that we had to move before we could enter the door, which necessitated putting down all our luggage, moving it, and then regathering all our things. I just can't see how, if the front desk staff feels so unsafe in that neighborhood at night they need to lock the building so tightly it the front door can't be opened for confirmed guests and that they need to sit behind bullet-proof glass, they think it's wise to send two small children and their mother laden with bags out around a shadowy building to an unopenable door. (Plus there's the thought of what that pillar would have done if guests had been trying to exit during a fire...)

There was no elevator - actually the front desk person had put it, "I ain't got no elevator for you people." Along the second-floor hallway, more than half the doors were slightly open - I couldn't tell why they were, or what was going on in the rooms, but I haven't seen that before at a hotel, so it also made me uncomfortable.The room, as mentioned above, was fine, actually, very nice - although we were given only two sets of towels, which is not many for a two-double room. The next night at another Microtel, we were given four sets for the same size room.

In the morning at checkout, I requested a receipt to make sure there were no extra charges over what I had already done for my prepaid reservation through an internet hotel site (as I've always received whenever I've stayed anywhere under similar circumstances). The front desk person was surly and refused to make eye contact. "We don't give receipts to people who don't pay us. You'll have to get that through them." She was really quite impressively rude. The breakfast buffet wasn't bad or not fresh, but sparse and very spread out, and since there were no attendants, there wasn't anyone to explain that the milk, for example, was in a refrigerator under the counter, and that spoons were in a container far away from the bowls for cereal.

We won't ever stay here again, which is a shame, because without those weirdnesses it could have been a nice place to stay. We enjoy giving good reviews when they're deserved, but this is not one of those times.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Zumosa
microtelinnsuites1, Webmaster at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Longview, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Guest,

At the outset let me thank you for choosing our hotel during our stay.

We also appreciate for sparing your time to post this review.

We have investigated the entire episode and cannot confirm how all these could have happened, but our apologies howsoever.

We have called the entire hotel staff and trained them afresh on hospitality and guest relations.

We are glad that you liked the rooms.bed etc and assure that you shall get a dedicated service and comfortable stay next time.

Please consider visiting us once again.

Hotel Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Longview hotels

Destin, Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2011

After leaving the Days Inn(Highly Recommended if you plan on taking your family to Six Flags over Texas) located in Arilington , Dallas Texas and needing another safe,quiet and cost efficient stay. We stumbled upon MicroTel Inn & Suites (A little bit more than the Motel 6 and a little bit less than the Super 8). The ratings given for these suites is beyond laughable. After reading the reviews from TripAdvisor we chose to take another plunge. The hotel/Inn is nestled roughly 30-45 seconds from the main highway/Interstate over pass. When we were pulling in, the place reminded me of an Extended Stay hotel, Same facial front as previous Extended Stays. Upon entering , the smell of brisk fragrances filled our noses in a positive way. The entrance was spotless. There is a single computer if in fact you forget to bring your laptop or net book.The single desktop is also equipped with a printer, in case you need to print out documents on your own. The continental breakfast nook was very clean (We have not had breakfast yet, we have just arrived and wanted to do an initial review of what we have seen thus far), And the electronic Coffee machine had fresh coffee (Please refer to the pictures that I have uploaded. I took over 25 pictures of this establishment for the simple fact of giving concrete credentials to a picture is more than a million words!).
The desk clerk was very friendly. If you have allot of bags, Like we did, there is a luggage cart. Please be advised that if you are accustomed to using an elevator, there is not one. So if you do have allot of luggage, be prepared to hit the stairs , which is not bad at all.
There are a total of 3 in our group 2 Adults 1 Child. so the Window daybed nook was just what the room needed for the little one. So if you have 1-2 small children, there wont be a need to get a double bed room. the nook is roughly 6.5' long but only 3.5' wide. That being said, one of your little ones can sleep opposite of the other little one.This window daybed nook also has 2 pull out drawers adjacent to the air condition unit. There is a closet with an electronic safe (Enough space for 2 people to fully unpack and the other person can 1/2 way unpack)
Our young man had plenty of room for himself.
The Queen size sleeper top bed was to die for! I actually thought that I was at home, where my bed is as comfortable as this one, Mirrors covered the wall that the bed sits on (refer to the pictures I uploaded). There is also an accent panel light that runs above the bed from one wall to the next.. The bathroom was very spacious and spotless.
There is a mini fridge and micro wave, computer desk/ work station. 32" HDTV.

Surprisingly this hotel , from the ratings given , is more of a 4-5 star hotel/Inn/suite.
Part 1 overview :
1.In a safe location
2. Very quiet
3. Very Clean
4. Modernized!!!!
5. Highly recommended!! (Goto priceline and do the deal breaker - we only paid $47 a night but could have been cheaper).
Initial first impression is this place is quiet, clean and family approved for safety! Next to restaurants , gas stations and the interstate.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iMacoo7
Arkansas
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I was very pleased with the motel exp. for the price very quiet rooms were clean just good place to stay if I every have a need to stay in Longview Texas again I will stay her.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank KascArkansas
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I just checked out of this hotel. It is set back from I-20 in a safe, surprisingly quiet area of Longview near several gas stations and fast food restaurants. The building and grounds are clean and well lit, and there is plenty of parking. The lobby area is basic, but clean and well laid out, with the continental breakfast bar in one corner along with a few tables. The breakfast area is really small, although for the two nights I stayed here, it was never crowded. There is an outdoor pool on the wooded side of the hotel, which looked like a relatively nice place to cool off on a warm day.

Check-in was quick and done by a helpful and friendly employee who was very knowledgeable about priceline.com and how this hotel uses it to fill up its empty rooms (I used priceline's name your price service and saved about $20 as compared to the best rate on the MicroTel website). Within a few minutes I had my key to a second floor room with one queen sized bed.

After spending two nights, I found the room to be really small. In fact, much smaller than any other hotel I've stayed in. However, what it lacked in space it made up for by being clean, comfortable and modern. The ~32" LCD HDTV mounted on the wall was great to watch from the extremely comfortable bed (with a lot of pillows and nice looking comforter). The room also had a micro-fridge, small built-in work desk and what resembled a "day bed" (aka place to put your bags) on the window sill. The room definitely looked and felt more upscale than I expected for a 2 star place. Everything was spotless and fully functional including the free wireless internet, although the connection was a bit on the slow side. The spotless bathroom had a very wide shower/tub combo with great water pressure. Overall, the room was small but much nicer than expected and was perfect for someone traveling alone. I got to thinking how the rooms with two queen beds would have to be bigger than my room; simply put, two queen beds would not fit in the room I had, unless those rooms have smaller bathrooms or something.

The free breakfast was basic, with bagels, pastries, cereal, juices and good coffee. No fruit or yogurt, though, despite the management response to a previous reviewer's comments about the breakfast being skimpy.

In summary... the MicroTel Longview was inexpensive, comfortable, modern, functional, in a good area, safe, with friendly and efficient service. Despite the small room, it significantly exceeded my expectations and put MicroTel on my list of "to stay again" budget hotel chains. This particular hotel blows away any Days Inn or Super 8 I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Dave C
Northeast Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Situated right off I-20 (easy access), lobby decorated nicely, staff courteous, CLEAN, rooms beautifully decorated and everything VERY CLEAN. Comfortable beds and pillows, lots of water pressure in the shower, plenty of fluffy towels. Lacked for nothing. Unfortunately we weren't there long enough to fully appreciate the facility so I can't speak for anything other than the above. I will say the continental breakfast was lame. Just some stale looking pastries and cereal and no seperate room for eating....It was a great place for just sleeping/resting and showering. Plan on breakfast elsewhere.

• Liked — Leanliness and tastefully decorated. great beds & shower
  • Disliked — Continental breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank skillman911
AGMMicrotelLongview, Assistant General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Longview, responded to this review, 8 October 2008
Thank you for your glowing comments regarding our Microtel, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Yes, our breakfast is on the skimpy side, but on your next visit you can look forward to some changes for the better. Our new breakfast will soon include Yogurt and fresh fruit for healthier options, as well as our standard Bagels, Sweet Rolls, Muffins, and Cold Cereals. As always, Fruit Juice and Fresh Coffee are available free 24/7 in our lobby.