“Not the best, or worst...”
Review of Picantes

Picantes
Ranked #191 of 619 Restaurants in Lubbock
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

We ate here yesterday for the first time. The waitress, lety, seemed to be the only waitress working , which left us waiting for quite some time for menus and drinks. Once other patrons were taken care of, we had pretty good service from her. She recommend the special of the day; a burrito with chicken fajita meat smothered in queso with rice and beans. The burrito was great! Really good flavored meat and queso sauce. Rice was just ok, and beans... Well they were sour? It was wierd. Didn't eat them at all. For 6.99 it was pretty good though. We mentioned the beans being wierd and she said they put too much garlic but it tasted more like they were just a few days old. We weren't comped but that's ok, the burrito was huge and filling. Home made salsa was great. My guy ordered some horchata at the end and it was amazing! They make it the real way. The place is lacking in fancy decor but that's to be expected at an older, cheap restaurant. We will go again but if the beans are gross I'm getting my Money back! Lol being from California I've had waaaay better Mexican food but this will do for Lubbock. I'd reccomend taqueria Jalisco over this place.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Picantes must be known for the humongous burritos. The carnage asada is our favorite. Their enchiladas are another favorite. This is authenic Mexican food. Service is fast. Prices are in line with other Mexican food places in town. Staff is attentive and friendly.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

I had the carnitas plate while my partner had the steak plate. It was good and tasty, although my reheated carnitas smelled a little off...reheated pork/lard tends to smell. I wished I had gone for the stewed pork in red sauce. I asked the waitress for a recommendation between the two and she chose the carnitas. The complimentary chips and salsa were tasty and good. The wait staff were very nice and helpful. I enjoyed my meal.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

Was looking all over Lubbock for a restaurant that served gorditas, and this was the only place that did (as far as I know). The meat was really good and with the right amount of spices. Rice and beans were flavorful and were a good combination with the main course. Salsa was more tomato-based, but good overall, and the service was excellent.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Craving a heart breakfast burrito? This is your spot. Looking for ambiance? Focus on the burrito and pretend you're somewhere else.