“Worst Customer Service EVER!!! Refused check - in, RUDE!”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #22 of 70 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I made reservations for 5 rooms through American Express for business travel - like I have literally done hundreds of times. After driving 8 hours, the desk person (Sherry) at the Comfort Suites refused to let my technicians check in unless they had my credit card. All credit card information & authorizations had already been sent to them, and by the time they tried to check in, it was late & nobody was available to talk to. The woman at the desk told me that it was football season & she could fill those rooms for more money, that unless I wanted to drive down there with my credit card she wasn't going to let my technicians check in. I asked to speak to a manager & was advised that Erica would not be there until the next day -- and Sherry was perfectly content to leave my techs in the parking lot. After begging and pleading (& getting nowhere), I moved them to the Holiday Inn -- with no trouble at all. BE WARNED!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We came down for family weekend at tech, and due to other hotels being booked, or way overpriced we booked there. The price was ok, breakfast was ok, pool in the front of the hotel was kind of awkward, but the breakfast area was nice. My issue was with housekeeping, we expected the sheets to be changed but nope, they put the same dirty sheets back on the bed, and we know his because our daughter spilled some juice and the stain was still there.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Arrived late, nice staff, room perfect. This hotel is nice, a little dated, but well maintained. Recommend for on line price, especially with Choice promotions. Good breakfast options, however we opted for Rudy's across the loop.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

First, let me say that I'm not one of those hypercritical malcontents that pans every place I visit. Check out my many reviews and you will see that I am complimentary and, I believe, fair-minded. So it took some long, hard thinking before I wrote this review. Was this problem the hotel's fault? The booking company's fault? My fault?

I do assign myself some fault in this experience; I accidentally booked my rez through hotelsone.com. I still don't know how I was routed to this site when I always book through Choice Privileges. Be that as it may, I take the blame for the booking. But not the rest. Read on.

When I arrived at the hotel after a pretty long day of driving, I found the lobby dark. Not a good sign. As I attempted to check in, I was told that something had "blown", and that there were crews en route to fix the problem. Okay. I'm okay with that.

Then the trouble began. When I produced my military and aarp cards, I was told that, because I booked through someone other than Comfort Suites, I was not entitled to a discount. Huh? The clerk explained that because my rez had already been paid for through another site, they were not able to discount my room. Huh? I questioned this policy, I mean, didn't they get paid for the room? Why couldn't they still apply a discount? Because, I was told, I booked through Expedia. Huh? I never saw anything related to Expedia when I booked. (Guess what entity owns hotelsone.com? Guess what's not displayed on the site?)

I was tired and decided that I'd pursue the issue when I got home. I checked in, although couldn't sign for anything because -- yup -- no electricity except for whatever the emergency generator was providing, which was barely flickering emergency lights in the very dark halls (so much for the emergency lighting system). After depositing my bags in my dark room, I decided to go to dinner and hope the power would be restored when I returned.

One hour later, still no electricity. I was tired and getting a bit cranky and I asked the desk clerk what was going on; the response was "they're digging." Great. I asked what the refund policy would be, because I'd had about enough and just wanted to find a place to sleep. I was told,"The manager will decide in the morning about refunds." Huh? No manager on site during an emergency. And I guess I was expected to just wait around hoping for lights and then wait around in the morning for a manager.

I packed up and left for another Choice Hotels site nearby, the Quality Inn.

When I got home, I started the ball rolling for a refund and am getting no satisfaction from hotelsone.com (which is also "eurobooking.com", all owned by Expedia), whose e-mails come from people named "Bruce" and "Rashon" and are written in such bad English that, well, let's just say they're obviously not generated domestically.

I also am in the process of contacting Choice Hotels about their affiliation with hotelsone.com. Perhaps there should be warnings on sites regarding third party booking.

So why the bad review for the hotel? (1) The staff was pretty clueless and didn't know how to handle this emergency. (2) One staff member in particular was quite snarky. (3) Why wasn't there a manager available? There were a lot of people milling about in the lobby who likely would have appreciated some answers besides me. (4) I'm not too happy with how this particular hotel handled Choice Hotels policies, if indeed their policy is to deny discounts when booked through a third party. And not refund when there is a problem that is solely the hotel's responsibility.

I am going to be faaaaar more careful with future bookings. And whether or not I remain a customer of Choice Hotels depends upon how this incident is handled.

In the meantime people, caveat emptor --

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We recently stayed for one night. Everything was good except the carpet was awful. At the end of the night the bottoms of my white socks were black. The room was clean, bathroom was stocked, ac worked wonderful. Loved the hotel just not the dirty carpet. But will stay there again and just wear socks.

Check in/check out time needs to looked at. We traveled from within Tx and only a few hours away BUT the 4pm check in time almost made us turn away and find something else. Who wants to wait another 4 hours before they can get to their room and relax after traveling. But luckily there happened to be a room that was available. So we were able to check in several hours early. But also having to check out at noon was a little crazy.

Overall I would stay here again, I would just wear socks and leave home a little later for that late check in time. Plus the breakfast was decent.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Our family needed a place to stay for almost a week during the last days of our loved one's life and for the funeral services that followed. The staff at Comfort Suites went out of their way to accommodate us and our uncertain schedule. They even allowed us to use their breakfast room when friends brought over an evening meal to serve our family. We appreciated their kindness and concern very much.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed one night for a basketball tournament in June. This is not a property I would normally choose, but we were staying with other families as a team. Our room appeared clean upon arrival, it had a freshly cleaned scent. The bathroom was clean though older fixtures, etc. The room seemed clean but again things were older. The sheets were clean smelling and the bed was ok.

In the common areas, the sofas need to be recovered. The breakfast area was average but seemed clean as well. There were places the carpets could use attention.

My room door had trouble latching, even upon being slammed. When I asked about getting someone to look at it, I was more or less brushed off. By looking at the facing, it was obvious this had been a long term problem.

I wouldn't choose to stay here again. We have to stay in Lubbock several times a year and have other properties that we like to stay in that are in better shape. Lubbock, however, seems to have a shortage of rooms and sometimes our top picks are full. Even then, this property would be further down the list. I think there are worse places to be, but there are certainly better places too. For what it is, it was very expensive at $100 - it is a $65 room at best.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family