Overton Hotel and Conference Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Stadium Motel(Lubbock)
Rodeway Inn(Lubbock)
View Hotel
All reviewspecan grilltexas techpreferred levelkeurig coffee makernice hotelroom servicefootball stadiumbreakfast buffetwest texasfront desk staffking bedbusiness tripmini fridgevisiting lubbockthe room was nicewe've stayedvalet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Had a standard king room. The room was nice & bed comfortable. That's where the good stuff stopped. First, we ate with family in the restaurant & ordered trout & steak dishes. The fish was WAY overcooked & overseasoned. The steak(New York Strip) was cooked as ordered, but very tough. The dessert (we all ordered the Italian Cream Cake) had obviously been previously frozen & thawed & was too dry. $153.00 + tip later we were incredibly disappointed. After we had gone to sleep, it was 3:00 a.m. & we heard a couple next door come in & start talking & it was like they were in our room, not to mention they were drunk. The female proceeded to begin throwing up & later there were noises I can't mention. You would think that a hotel of this supposed caliber could invest a little money in sound-proofing the walls between rooms. Also, we had planned to swim, but the pool is very small first of all & it is in the shade most of the afternoon. Having been formerly from Lubbock, I know how cold the water is & full afternoon sun is required to make a non-heated pool tolerable & to warm you up after a swim. This hotel gets 2 thumbs down.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Stayed at the Overton Hotel for one night on a biz trip.
Service: The bell boy was courteous welcoming and helpful. The front desk check-in was a breeze and friendly.
Room: The room was very nice, actually the nicest I have experience in LBB for the past 5 years I have made trips here. My room was on the 10th floor. It had a 37” LCD with very clear channel reception.
Pros: Room modern design, bed, LCD, mini fridge, parking and express check out.
Cons: Biz center: the printer did not work, shower pressure was a bit weak for me.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
JoshHenegar, Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

Thanks for your review! Glad it was a good stay overall. We are currently addressing the shower pressure and business center issues - thank you for the feedback.

See you next time!

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Could not get room cool enough, bill was wrong, not enough glasses, food fine but extremely slow service, refrigerator not working properly, TV faded in and out periodically, remote didn't work half the time. Most upset about the bill.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
JoshHenegar, Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly and let me know how I can resolve any issues and what we can do to earn your business back.

joshhenegar@overtonhotel.com

Reviewed 31 May 2011

My husband and I stayed two nights, including one night with our young children. The rooms are nice but nothing spectacular. I enjoyed the Keurig coffee maker. The shower only (no tub) was a little inconvenient for the kids, but we knew that would be the situation. The beds were pretty soft and we slept well. The air conditioner did not seem to work extremely well in the 100F weather. We set it on 63 and it never got cool in our room. One minor complaint was that the blackout shades didn't cover the entire window, so the sun was streaming in, directly into my eyes, at 6:30 am.

We did not try the restaurant or room service because hotel food generally disappoints and we would rather just eat somewhere else.

One reason we brought our kids to the Overton was for the pool. It was 100 degrees daily, but the pool was FREEZING. Our kids couldn't even stand it! The pool is only in the sun in the morning and is shaded by the hotel in the afternoon, so never warms up. My husband took the kids in the hot tub, but the water was murky and green so I didn't venture in. Disgusting!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. We did get a good deal by booking at an online travel site. I wouldn't pay $150+ for this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kristennetsirk
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Haven't eaten at the Overton restaurant since its debut two years ago, when the food was very decent. Sadly, can't say the same about our dinner last night. To start, the service was less than mediocre. Our server did not even greet us with a "Hello folks" or anything. similar. The best thing about the service overall was when I was served a sangiovese at the bar that tasted like it had been open for two years, the bartender quickly replaced it. Back to the food: a basket of cornbread was cold, dry, and crumbly. My daughter pointed out that at least the pieces of cornbread followed the hotel's western theme, being shaped like a cactus. I retorted that I couldn't tell, because it all shattered into crumbs when you tried to pluck a piece from the basket. They did microwave it for us though. (Still inedible.) The crab cakes appetizer was barely warm and tasted like pickles, as did the very strangely-colored mustard-yellow sauce on my barely-warm steak oscar (bernaise? no way). Fortunately, there was only about a teaspoon of the stuff so it was easy to scrape off. Dill pickles do NOT belong in crab cakes or in bernaise sauce. And yes, I can tell the difference between dillweed and dill pickles. The risotto with my steak was tasty, but again . . . barely warm, and if it contained smoked gouda, I'll eat my hat. Husband's lamb chops were beautiful; the uber-bland instant mashed potatoes were cold. Daughter's chicken and grits were okay. She couldn't identify any of the four cheese that the grits supposedly contained. Since we were one of only three tables, both of which left while we were there, "too busy" won't suffice as an excuse for the poor quality of our dinner.

Overton people, if you're reading this: bread is cheap. You really don't save much in food cost by serving the three-day-old stuff. Also, cold cornbread, appetizers, and side dishes overshadow anything that might be right about the rest of a meal. In addition, since this is supposedly the best hotel in Lubbock, train your staff to have some class. The bartender, passing through the restaurant on her way to the bar, didn't even try to hide the fact that she was stuffing food in her mouth.

One last thing: our room's AC never got our room cooled down at night. It was HOT.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
JoshHenegar, Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Thank you for your review and useful feedback. First, let me sincerely apologize on behalf of our entire team. Your experience is definitely not the standard we strive for.

Please know that while we understand the challenges in our restaurant, we are working diligently to improve all around, including our recent additions of a new Food & Beverage Director and new Sous Chef.

We are very excited about the changes coming up and look forward to taking great care of you and your family. Thanks again.