“Very average. Not worth the price”

Overton Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Lubbock
Dallas, Texas
“Very average. Not worth the price”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I recently stayed here after my wedding. They were nice but the level of service was just not as good as you would expect. They had my room type (2 double bed) was not correct when I got there. As I said before wedding night. Not only did the person at the front desk not confirm the room type (person well aware that it was my wedding night), they had the wrong information in the system. The process was very difficult in order to correct the room. I had to literally pull out my computer and pull up the email confirmation that had the room type on it inorder to get it corrected. They also wanted to charge me EXTRA for it. The other issue was I ordered a bottle of champagne for the room for when we got back. I told them when I was going to be back and they were supposed to put it on ICE. They put i on ice but by the time we got back the water was melted and luke warm. The facilities are rooms are very nice. Everything is new and up to date. The service is seriously lacking for a nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We had a wonderful weekend and everyone was very friendly and helpful. Great staff and very comfortable rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Cindy H
lubbock
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I was apprehensive at first about the cost per night along with all the other negative reviews. However after speaking to Brian the hotel manager was very helpful and assured me that they uphold the highest standards.

I paid cash for two nights and then added the third night and paid cash as well. There was a little confusion at first however Sarah the office supervisor helped out and fixed the problem.

The hotel was extremely clean and well kept and the staff was friendly and helpful with accomadations.

This turned out to be a memorable experience and a wonderful way to celebrate my graduation

• Stayed August 2011
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The hotel was a great price and very clean! We will stay here every time we come to Lubbock from now on. The room was very nice and quiet with a nice view of the city and is in a perfect location with great places to eat and enjoy within walking distance. I am a nursing student and the staff accomidated me with the most quiet area in the hotel and it is only 5 minutes from the hospital I was testing at. Excellent place to stay!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I stayed at the Overton for 4 nights - we had a suite on the concierge floor.

The room was great and, mostly the staff were very helpful. There were a couple of exceptions. One, we never had any housekeeping service on Sunday, even though we left the room from noon to 4 PM (w/out any do not disturb sign, in case you're wondering). We even called and asked to have housekeeping come up and service the room. Nothing. I suspect they keep a very limited staff on Sundays and simply didn't get around to it. But why wouldn't the front desk get back to me when I asked them?

Second, their front desk staff is nice, but can be very uneven. We called and asked to speak to the concierge. There was a guy wearing a nametag that said "concierge" and he was very helpful. But when we called back to follow up, we were told that the hotel had no such person.

Strange.

Good rooms, not much in the way of service. I'd go back, but with lowered expectations.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Room is generously-sized and extremely comfortable.
Bathroom is luxurious, as are toiletries.
Turn-down service chocolates are a nice touch on preferred levels.
Staff is friendly, polite and extremely helpful.
No other hotel in Lubbock comes close!

Room Tip: Preferred levels offer great views, happy hour and breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Artesia, New Mexico
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed in the hotel after picking up my tween from a flight. She arrived after 10pm so we ordered room service. Wonderful chicken panni with sundried tomatoes and a kobe beef burger. I did choose a room on the conciere floor at a higher rate. The view was nice and also the club lounge. We missed the evening food and beverage but the next morning I had coffee and my daughter had juice a muffin then dasni water for our trip. They also provide you a breakfast buffet coupon for the resturant. Wonderful eggs, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, waffles and more. the breakfast buffet is offered until 11AM so we had it more as a brunch. Fitness center is open 24 hours per day.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family