“Disappointing experience”

Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Lubbock
Lubbock, Texas
“Disappointing experience”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary celebration recently. We thought it would be nice to stay here and try the restaurant as well (will review that too). Unfortunately it was not what we had envisioned. It appears nice from the lobby, but that's where it ends. We had a king room and it was poor to average at best. The walls had chips/scratches that were painted over, the air conditioner did not cool down our room at all, the décor is outdated, the bed was a squeaky old box spring (not what I was expecting from an expensive and modern hotel). The comforter also had a huge brown stain on it, not sure what that was, but it was gross. There was another mysterious stain on the bed side table as well. The bathroom was decent until you opened the shower curtain and see a shower that looks like something you'd see in a hospital. The ice machine on our floor was broken as well. It was just disappointment after disappointment. It is definitely not worth the money they charge, plus the ridiculous $50 a day hold for incidentals. We don't mind paying for a nice experience at an elegant hotel, but this place just leaves you feeling robbed of a great experience and your hard earned money. It definitely doesn't live up to their website's description of "down-home comfort and urban elegance". Seems like the hotel spends more money on keeping the public areas modern and appealing, but then ignore the quality of the rooms. Definitely won't be wasting any money at this place in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
OvertonGM, General Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
I apologize that you had a disappointed experience with us. The issue with the room has been discussed with our Rooms Director. I hope you will stay with us again and give us another chance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am a business traveller and am used to staying in medium-high end hotels which offer typical amenities for the business traveler. This was my first visit to Lubbock and prior to my visit when I did a search for business hotels located close to the medical center, I found mostly motels. The Overton Hotel and Conference Center was a hotel offering which is a newer property which offered the amenities which are fairly standard for business travelers in larger cities, plus a hotel restaurant, lobby bar, a coffee shop in the lobby, complementary newspapers, nice workout facility and business center. From these perspectives, the hotel is a good choice. Also a very strong plus for the hotel is that the staff are very friendly and accommodating-- but not as seasoned as staff in similar hotels in larger cities.

Based on my stay, there are two aspects in which the hotel can improve. My room payment was set up in advance for direct billing to a company master account with a personal credit card required at check-in for personal expenses-- fairly standard procedure. It took two front desk people to figure out how to process my check-in as they were not familiar with room billing to a company master account. Additionally, in the process of this they ran temporary charge authorizations on one of my credit cards for the same temporary amount x 2, then told me my credit card was declined and then asked me for a second credit card---on which they ran a third temporary charge authorization. After check-in I contacted my credit card company which informed me that there was in fact no problem with the charge authorizations with my credit card and that the hotel had run the same temporary authorization twice (yet I had been told by the front desk staff that each of the charges had been declined). Apparently the front desk staff was not experienced in this type of direct payment method, one which is fairly standard for business travellers.

There is another area where the hotel could improve its procedures. After check-in, I ordered room service which included a request for a beer with my meal. Over the phone, I was told that I would need to show picture identification when my food (beer) was delivered to the room for this 50 year old traveler. While I understand that hotels have a responsibility to not serve alcohol to underage travelers, given the price point and the type of hotel which the Overton strives to be, I would recommend that guests’ ages could be discreetly and less intrusively verified and recorded at check-in when it is fairly standard protocol for guests to hand over a picture I.D. with their credit card.

Overall, I like this hotel and will stay there again. It is one of the few Lubbock options for the business traveler who used to mid-high end level hotels and the level of services which those hotels provide. The hotel just needs to refine its staff training and protocols to the level of expectations of the type of guests which this facility will attract.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
OvertonGM, General Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
I am sorry that you experienced some issues with the front desk and room service with your visit in Dec. You are correct the type of payment you are speaking of is pretty standard for business travelers. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and it has been dealt with. As for the ID, I know it was an inconvenience and we apologize, but it is hotel policy that we card all guest that order alcohol beverages with room service. We hope you will choose the Overton Hotel the next time you travel to Lubbock and give us another chance
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My room was hot. Never cooled down. Room has only a few very basic cable channels no movies no pay-per-view. No minibar. Yet you're charged extra $50 for incidentals and you don't get the credit back on your card for three full days. No vending machines on my floor which sold food only drinks. For $190 per night this was a bad deal. Any major hotel chain will give you more for the price. The location is great, close to campus but these are very basic bare bones no frills rooms. Much like a motel 6. If you are used to staying in nice rooms, don't stay here.

1 Thank Paul S
OvertonGM, General Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
We would like to apologize for the shortfall you experienced during your stay. We hope you will stay with us again and give us another chance.
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The Overton is Lubbock's premier independent hotel. It's located two blocks from the campus of Texas Tech University and the football stadium in a newly renovated area of town. The hotel is modestly decorated in "West Texas" style and hotel staff is friendly, prompt and accommodating.

We stayed over the Thanksgiving week and found all the services were available. The one disappointment we had was that the pool, while heated, was not heated enough to swim in. But the children had fun in the heated spa.

The room service menu needs a definite update and improvement. I'm not sure who exactly would order wild boar for room service, but it's on there just in case you have a craving. Other items were ok, but there's no kids menu at all. So no basic items like pizza or chicken tenders.

We were on the top floor and every night there were strange noises. Our room was by the elevator and that's what I attributed the noises too, but it was annoying. Even with a white noise app, it was still hard to sleep.

We ate breakfast one morning in the restaurant and it was fine. It wasn't outstanding and it was a rather small buffet, but it had all the basics.

Overall the Overton is a very good hotel. It's clean, comfortable, excellent well trained staff and you can't beat the location.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MWYoung
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Overton Hotel . I apologize for the issues you and your family experienced during your stay; Glad that your overall stay was good and we hope you have you and your family stay with us again.
Boerne, Texas
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The room,service,food,and bar are impressive. The location is close to Texas Tech University and the in-house restaurant and bar are above what other Lubbock Hotels offer their guests. Stay,sleep,drink,and eat and vist with friends and family in the lounge or restaurant without getting in your car. The Thanksgiving meal in the ballroom was a 10 ! This was my first time to stay at the Overton Hotel and plan to stay again.

Room Tip: do not stay by the ice machines I liked the 10th floor overlooking Texas Tech.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you had a nice stay, and appreciate you for giving us a 10 on our Thanksgiving Brunch. We look forward to having you stay with us soon, and hope that you will join us again for Thanksgiving!
United States
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a great hotel in Lubbock and our 2nd stay there. We have stayed at a couple of the larger chain hotels, but this one is much nicer than the others. We loved that the Overton was all decked out for the holidays. Clean rooms with great views looking across to the TTU stadium and campus. The restaurant and coffee shop downstairs have a nice variety of offerings. The staff were all super helpful and allowed a late check-out. There is a complimentary shuttle to/from the airport. Overall, a great and friendly place to stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
We definitely appreciate the great review. We love the Spirit of the Holidays and glad you also enjoyed them.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We were in Lubbock for an emergency, had never been there, and saw this hotel (one of tallest buildings in Lubbock) very close to Texas Tech hospital and campus. We expected it to be expensive because of its appearance, amenities, and location, but were surprised to find that it was less than the chain hotels (which do not compare in quality). The restaurant was very good for breakfast and the lounge was very good for a light meal. Service throughout the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking your time to write this review, it is very appreciated. We look forward to having stay with us when your travels bring you back to Lubbock.