“Great Place to Stay in Lubbock for Business”

Overton Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Lubbock
Fredericksburg, Texas
“Great Place to Stay in Lubbock for Business”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My latest stay was July 16 and 17. This was my 5th time staying with the Overton in Lubbock, will be back again.

The hotel itself is very clean, comfortable and well appointed in the common rooms. The swimming pool is average size for a hotel, with a tall semi-privacy fence surrounding. Access to and from pool area is via the front lobby. Good for kids.

The Overton does have both a bar and restaurant on site which makes it very nice for late days. Room service maybe ordered until 1a.m. - so late night dinner and drinks if you arrive late is no problem. Bar has food till around 12am (double check however) and dinning can seat till 10pm. Food quality is above average for hotel dinning. First night this go round my wife had lamb and I had fish - both done well.

Two things to be aware of: First - the dinning room says breakfast is served until 11am - that is not the case. They breakdown their buffet at 10:30 and will not serve ala cart after 10:45. So in reality breakfast only goes until 10:30, no big deal if you are aware!! (No, first time I was not but early lunch was just as good)

The only place in the hotel that service could use an upgrade is the dinning room. Do not get me wrong, the folks working there are friendly, just very slow at each stage (initial contact, drink order, drink check back, food order etc) .

The bar on the other hand is fantastic with service - and you can order same food in bar as dinning room. Either way, in the end, food is good and you do not have to do the dishes!!

There is a coffee stand at the front of the dinning room, next to the bar, that opens at 6am and serves Starbucks brand. If, like me you have to go early, almost always the folks at the coffee stand have coffee by 5:45am - may not have full service but a cup of Joe can be had - do not forget to say Thank You! I have noticed at this property that all the employees are big on manners - it makes me very aware of my sometimes not so perfect "Thank You's" - good to have those reminders!!

Rooms: Appointed well - decor is a bit dated, not bad though (and really it does not matter) - the room is comfortable, always clean and the entire property is non-smoking. Beds are nice BUT the pillows they use are the small square ones... to this day I do not understand when hotels opt for the small pillows. We called housekeeping and within 15 mintues had three extra full size pillows - quick and the housekeeper asked if she could bring us anything else (towels, blanket etc) - so nice and quick - A+ in my book (so tip your housekeeper - every stay we have had great service from housekeeping).

Front desk is a breeze for checking in - took about three minutes and we had key card and where on our way to the room. 24hr front desk so late check in (we did one time after 10pm) is no issue - just let them know. The bathroom towels are the thick kind (my personal favorite) and very clean. Standard amenities - soap (two bars - one sink, one shower), shampoo and conditioner. Coffee stand in lobby has some personal care items if needed.

Hotel is about 10minutes from the Lubbock Airport and centrally located in the town - plenty of dinning options other than the hotel.

All in all - I think the Overton is a great choice - and we will be back.

Room Tip: Choose above the 3 third floor - if you can floors 13, 14, 15 have great views but usually cost a bi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
OvertonGM, General Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
I really appreciate the great review and kind comments. I will definately share this with all my staff.
also we are in the process of upgrading all our guest rooms as well as the wi-fi. Hope to have you stay with us when you are traveling to Lubbock.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Don't know how I found this hotel, but I had two good nights of sleep, even though there was a girl's fast-pitch softball competition going on. Walls were good enough to keep out the noise. Had a problem with the toilet (needed to jingle the handle to stop water flow) and ask the front-desk to take care of it. They said they would, but problem continued!

Will stay here comes next year.

Review of restaurant (Pecan Grille) is seperate.

Room Tip: If you stay on the upper floors, you will pay more but get breakfast buffet for free!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feed back. I apologize for the issue you encountered with the toilet. I too would have been annoyed, since your departure it has been fixed. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Nice upscale hotel close to Texas Tech. Decent rooms. Very Tech centric, alumni from other colleges could be put off. Stayed twice. One time there was a concurrent Tech function and the staff was overwhelmed, frantic, and not very friendly. The second time there was no concurrent function and it was more pleasant.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so sorry for the service you received at your first stay with us. Glad that you second time with us was more pleasant. I really appreciate you sharing your stay with us, and hope that you will choose the Overton Hotel and Conference Center next time you are in Lubbock
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Came to lbb on a business trip. Never stayed here before. Pleasant experience w front desk and decent room. Had do not disturb sign on and added a day to my stay yet room was still enetered by maid at 2pm. Food at lunch buffet not good. 1235pm. Broccoli brown. Baked potatoes cool. Had to send a server to find my server for the bill at lunch when the original took my plate 10 min prior and didnt ask if I wanted the check. Decided to give the food another try and have a couple cocktails at the bar around 7pm and had to go to the bar for my first drink and to order my food when I was assured someone would come take my order.. chicken fried steak was mediocre and didnt come with a side. Manager brought my food with no silverware or salt and pepper...for the prices they charge the service should be better. tried to watch the home run derby on the tv next to the bar but the picture format is wrong and all the scoring is blocked off the screen. Asked someone to fix and they tried but to no avail. Glad its an off time and the price was decent. I would stay here again but wont eat at the restaurants again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the negative experience you had in the Pecan Grill.
I have addressed this with our Executive Chef. We hope to have you stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Lubbock
Wichita, KS
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Went to Lubbock for the College Baseball Hall of Fame Induction ceremonies. This is the hotel they had us stay in for the event. Very nice hotel, rooms were very comfortable. Food for the banquet was excellent! Breakfast buffet very good as well. Only negative was the time it took to check us into our room. They did give us free drink coupons, but when we went to use them they were only for beer and wine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shocks
Thank so much for sharing your stay with us. We are glad to that you have a great stay. I will share this review with m staff
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed 29 June 2014

While this is the nicest physical hotel in Lubbock, as well as one of the newest, the staff here could use some real hotel training. Front desk clerk was abrupt with "the only room available" is 2 beds. The TV screen on the desk was flashing to "Ask about a king suite upgrade", but there were none available, but they were bookable online, as were standard kings. Only stayed one night, but after being in 6 hotels on this trip in 12 days, this one was forgettable. Lots of choice these days in Lubbock.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2y2r2onot2
I appreciate the feedback and I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. This will certainly help as a training tool with training our Front Desk staff.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this hotel. I booked the room for 3 nights because it was close to a conference center where I was presenting, and didn't have high hopes for the experience overall. However, there wasn't anything that disappointed in any way. The size of the room was just right, it was very clean and in good condition, the bed was comfortable, and WiFi was free. My only complaint is the somewhat outdated air conditioning system, which never shut off completely even when I turned it off. As a result, the room was always cold, unless I turned the heat on to balance it out. The staff was courteous and very helpful. Location-wise, it's as close as you can get to the "happening" spots in this college-centered town. Room service is decent but overpriced, as is common with many hotels. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Get a room on as high a floor as you can - the university view is nice
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Edward C
our Motto is to "Please every guest, Every time" So happy to hear that you were not disappointed with your stay . We do hope to have you stay with us again.