Overton Hotel and Conference Center
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$87
Quality Inn & Suites(Lubbock)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$101
US$91
US$96
Sleep Inn And Suites Lubbock(Lubbock)(Great Value!)
US$85
SleepInn
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lubbock North(Lubbock)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$147
US$109
US$87
Travelocity
All reviewspecan grilltexas techpreferred levelkeurig coffee makernice hotelroom servicefootball stadiumbreakfast buffetwest texasfront desk staffking bedbusiness tripmini fridgevisiting lubbockthe room was nicewe've stayedvalet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is my second stay (and review) of the Overton. I'm sorry to say that I am going to try a different hotel next time I am in Lubbock. The Overton staff is great, friendly, accommodating and they try hard. But, the hotel is tired and in need of a makeover and it was NOT CLEAN on this stay. We walked into the first room that smelled overwhelmingly like Febreze and immediately irritated my sinuses. The staff very nicely moved us to another room. In room 2 I opened the closet and pulled out the stand for my suitcase and came away with my hands covered in some type of black mold/goo that was all over the suitcase stand. I gave it to the maid in the hall who tried to wipe it off and give it back to me - I refused and washed my hands multiple times. We found three different-colored long hairs in our newly made bed. To be fair, I think all three were washed into the sheets during the laundry. Nevertheless, it was gross. There was also a long hair in our tub, dirt and dust all over the desk area, splatters on the ceiling and the bathroom door had splatters and dust that made it appear it had never, ever been cleaned. In the side chair there was old food squashed down in between the seat and the cushion. The room decor is very old and tired Western, with lots of chips out of the furniture. There is a cheap GE stThere is no mirror in the main room that can be used with an electric plug for hair styling, etc., if someone else is in the bathroom. The bathroom fan cannot be turned off ever but goes on automatically as soon as the light comes on. The silver faucet handles in the bathroom are pretty but our hot water handle promptly fell off -- my husband repaired it. We noted on our last visit that the restaurant service was slow, but the breakfast buffet is unforgivably bad, with the waffle iron not cooking the insides of the waffles, the eggs rubbery, the biscuits like ten-ton lead weights. We ordered off the menu and left after we had not been served 30 minutes later. The restaurant is chronically understaffed, and the waitresses overworked. I ordered room service the next day and for $80! I received a salty and tough filet mignon and really awful sweet potato fries. That was it. Nothing more. I had to beg for a vegetable and was told they have only asparagus. It was not good. I tried a house salad that was made up of very strange lettuce and bad dressing. It pains me to write this. The hotel is in a good location near the university. It has a good conference center. The staff works hard and is very nice. The hotel is clearly poorly managed, dirty and needs a makeover. It also has inadequate desk space for business travelers and a hotel of this level should have refrigerators with food in them, not just hotel water repackaged in an unappetizing Overton bottle for an exorbitant price.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HoustonKaren
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My room was not ready when we got there. It wasn't ready till 5:40 when I told them I'd need it by 3. Different employees at the front desk would tell you different things. One would say they had something then you'd go all the way to the desk to find out they didn't. The beds were comfortable and it was nice but so expensive! The breakfast buffet was way too expensive especially for the quality of it, the sausage was not good at all! I have stayed in hotels for half the price that were way better!

• Stayed: August 2014
OvertonGM, General Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

I am sorry for the miscommunication and service from our Front Desk staff and for the quality of the breakfast buffet. I did sddress this my Food & Beverage Director and Room Director. We hope to have you and your family stay with us again.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is a new upscale hotel in a nice area next to the university. The hotel property is nice and the rooms had a pleasant decor. They also had free wi-fi, which was great. The bed comfort level was average, and the room size was also average. The staff was friendly and welcoming and gave me a handicap room which seemed like it had a bigger restroom. The only thing that I noticed was that the lobby restroom by the pool area was extremely dirty at 6am the morning that I checked out. I don't know, maybe the morning crew had not cleaned it yet. Overall, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. I got a good price at $120/night. A great price for this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

We certainly appreciate the comments regarding your stay with us! Glad you were not disappointed. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Well I'm not really sure about this hotel. Is it nice...yes......is it worth $220/night......NO. Lobby area is nice and staff helpful. The room is nice but there are parts that need to be updated. In the restroom there was rust on the bottom of door and paint was chipping where the water from the shower sits. I paid for a preferred king an got a room on the 15th floor. The reception on the 14th floor was not very impressive. The young lady that was sitting at the door did not look like she wanted to be there. Not very friendly. They ran out of snacks very quickly and we got there around 545pm. Breakfast was included and I didn't not think it was very good. Eggs were good but sausage links had no flavor. Biscuits and gravy were not good at all. They did have good French toast but I only saw regular syrup no sugar free available. Breakfast staff was nice an attentive. Valet staff was quick. This hotel is in a good location but I do not think I will return. I've stayed at much much nicer hotels on the river walk in San Antonio or downtown Dallas very cheaper than I paid for this room. I expected more.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank stepgonz

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are in the process of upgrading our guest rooms and I am sorry your were disappointed with the Managers Reception.We hope to serve you again.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Overton Hotel for a wedding weekend and it was just okay. Our room was large and clean but the bathroom smelled like cigarette smoke. Our room only had one shared wall but it was paper thin. The only redeeming feature was the breakfast buffet which was ample, fresh and tasty even if a bit pricey.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
OvertonGM, General Manager at Overton Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

My apologies regarding the smoke smell in your room. We are a smoke free enviroment, and unforturnately not all follow the rules. Thank you for your feedback and look forward to having you and your family stay with us again.