“Great Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Lubbock
Dallas, TX
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 31 January 2011

This is the nicest hotel in Lubbock. Great location in a new area, close to the Texas Tech campus. The staff was very helpful and friendly and my room was clean and well furnished. We stayed two nights and everything was as promised. We ate dinner in the hotel one night and our meal was wonderful. The food far exceeded our expectations and the service was friendly and efficient. Overall, it was a great stay and we plan to return to the Overton next time we are in Lubbock. I have and will continue to recommend this hotel to friends

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Volleyball_Parent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2011

New hotel with good location in a newly built area, close to restaurants. Linens and bedding were very clean and neat. The staff is very cordial and helpful. We had a problem with the wi-fi signal but a gentleman from the front desk came up within five minutes and resolved the issue. One negative was that the walls seemed a little thin-we could hear the people in the next room-but that wasn't really the hotel's fault-the people were talking loudly. Overall, it was a great stay-we would definitely recommend this hotel and without a doubt, we will be back when we pass through Lubbock.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank gbtravels2011
Cordova, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 October 2010

This was my third stay at this hotel. It is a very nice property The service has improved greatly since my first stay. It is a little pricey for Lubbock.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank gibson270
amarillo
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Nice hotel but dishonest employees. Man don't leave your thingd in there especially 100% human hair. BE cuz they will steel. OK!!! And I sho can tell..They have free hot water. But they will steel yo hair.. Don;t leave it layin around ok. This is a true story not to be laughed at,. I have a swiming weave and a leasure one 2 colors so thats 4. ok 100.00 each. They stole it. I called for 2 days ok. Had to go back to sallys and buy 200.00 worth of weave. This is a serious offense. If you don;t umderstand you don't/ But its like the overton stole my puppy. I felt l ike a lost little girl alone. There was an awsome indian wedding going on that week, Dancers flew in from cali. In any event don't leave your waeve or it will be retreived. OK!!@!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank rayann71104
Lubbock, TX
Reviewed 6 September 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Overton Hotel one night. We stayed in a room with a King Bed, Flat Screen TV, Shower (no tub), mini-fridge and nothing else worth noting.

First, when I came in a few days earlier to reserve our room in person, I was told I could have a late check-out on the day of our departure. But when I came in to check-in the people at the service desk were really rude and gave me hell about a late check-out. After a fight they gave me a minimal late check out - 2 hrs earlier that what I was originally told.

The room was less than great at $191/night (after a $12 city occupancy tax and a $10 state occupancy tax). There was long hair all over the shower wall. And the shower has no tub - I can't imagine paying this much for a romantic night out and no tub! Who wants to stand up in a crappy shower!? I can do that at home! The mini-fridge was full of water. The wireless internet didn't work; I had to call in twice to get a bypass on their sign-in (normally you sign in on your browser by typing in your room number and name). And paper-thin walls with lovely kids screaming in the next room.

The TV was nice and big, but the color faded in and out, in and out. It did not have very many channels, no guide, and no On-Demand movies.

Lastly, the original price I was quoted was $169. And when we got our bill we had $22 of city and state occupancy tax! I had not idea it was that high! So realize that your bill will be quite a bit higher that quoted.

All in all, we are never coming back to the Overton Hotel. Not a romantic get away place AT ALL! Unless you're stuck on the location for a TTU game or something, I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Some of these reviews seem a little harsh. I, for one, had a wonderful experience with this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. My husband and I stayed here the weekend of our wedding and absolutely loved it. They were nice enough to give me an early check in on Saturday so my bridesmaids and I could get ready there before the wedding. When I showed up at the hotel, wedding dress in hand, my parents' credit card form hadn't been entered into the computer (simple human mistake). Instead of insisting that I provide another credit card in order to check in, they went ahead and checked me in anyway and said they would find the paperwork later. Basically they went off my word that the form had been turned in and gave me my room without securing a deposit. In my opinion, that's going way above and beyond.

The room itself was fabulous. I'm a sucker for down comforters and pillows, and this had both. My new hubby and I ordered room service the first night, as we didn't get a chance to eat at our wedding. The service was quick and easy, and the food was awesome. The Aged Gouda Mac and Cheese is to die for. It's true that none of the rooms have bathtubs, but I'm not a bathtub person anyway. Plus there's a hot tub outside if you just insist on having a place to relax. There's nothing better than a hot tub on a cool Lubbock night.

Overall the service was friendly, the room impeccable and the "classy western" atmosphere unique. So for those of you who are still conflicted over the reviews, just do what I did and ignore them. This is Lubbock, after all, and you have to keep that in mind. The very minor issues The Overton has aren't specific to this one hotel in particular. You will find them in any hotel and/or restaurant in Lubbock. A majority of the staff is made up of college students, and while most of them are competent, there will always be the one's who aren't. You should expect that in a college town. Give The Overton a break...it's the best hotel experience you'll have in Lubbock!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed 5 July 2010

The facility itself is great; new, nicely appointed rooms, quiet, etc. It has all the things a top hotel should have (great internet service, flat screen TV’s with lots of channels, business center, fitness center, etc.). The facility compares favorably to any 3 star (and some 4 star) hotels in major cities. We had a group rate of $89 which was a bargain for room of this quality.

The service across the board was poor. The staff tries hard but they appear to be poorly trained and poorly supervised. A few examples:

Reservations staff was very clumsy; unable to pull up our group code/pricing, unable to describe the options for upgrading to the preferred floor, etc.;

At check-in, we were assigned and entered a room that was already occupied. The front desk staff did not appear to understand how serious this was; when we called down, they asked us why we thought the room was occupied, as if we were mistaken. They then nonchalantly offered to give us a new room, almost like we were being picky about it. The security implications alone almost had us leave the hotel immediately;

Housekeeping needs to improve; our bed looked as though it had been straightened, not changed and re-made; the bathroom was not well cleaned;

We had breakfast in the restaurant and ordered off the menu rather than the buffet; it took over 20 minutes to get our food despite the fact that there were only 3 other tables in the entire restaurant. The service was not attentive (we had to ask for coffee refills several times). The food was just OK, certainly not a value.

It is a lovely facility but the service across the board was an amateur hour. 5 stars for the facility, 1 star for the service. I can only recommend it becasue it is has the nicest rooms that I know of in Lubbock.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends