“Standard Fare”
Review of Gorditos

Gorditos
Ranked #196 of 588 Restaurants in Lubbock
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Great Mexican food at reasonable prices. The food is really good and the staff is always super.
Waco, Texas
“Standard Fare”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The atmosphere was a little dark, but staff was friendly. The tacos were great and the tamale was good but the cheese enchiladas weren't my favorite. The charro beans had a metallic taste to them, suggesting they may be canned. The papas could have been a lot better w/ chiles, onions & queso...such a missed opportunity on that. All that being said, I did like it & would go again. Prices are reasonable & food pretty standard.

Lubbock, Texas
“Love going there.”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Food is always good, like all restaurants finding and keeping staff is difficult. The Huevos Rancheros are wonderful, my favorite and the tortilla soup is good anytime.
All the food is made fresh daily. Great chips and salsa.

• Visited March 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decor is absolutely awful!”
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

There are too many places in Lubbock with good Mexican food to have to endure the slow service and terrible atmosphere of Gordito's. That said, the food and prices are good, but every time I'm in here I can't concentrate on my experience because I'm mentally redecorating. I wish the owners had as much pride in how the place looks and their slow service as they do in the food. Any way the wasted area where the servers refill chips and fill drinks could be converted into the bar and the current bar - especially the creepy Beer refrigerators - could be removed and turned into usable dining space? How about converting the track lighting into drop down pendant lighting above each booth? I could go on all day... But it's easier to just go elsewhere.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ron U
Lubbock
“Secret place”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The wife and I love it. It is always busy, but not really ever a long wait. Reasonably priced and great food that is a little different for mexican food.

Visited May 2013
Lubbock, Texas
“Decent food. Hit and miss service.”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

The food has always been decent, but the service hit and misses. There seems to be a lot of employee turn-over, including with the floor managers. Their salsa is good. Sopapillas once resembled cinnamon toast, so we have not ordered them again. On our last visit our waitress said she had never heard of flat or stacked enchiladas, but that the kitchen could try to do it. And unlike at other Mexican food restaurants I always have to ask for lime for my Negra Modelo or Pacifica.

We watched an interesting thing on our last visit. The wall-mounted wooden box the menus are stored in had a broken bottom. We watched server after server drop menus in the box only to have them all fall on the floor. It became comical how often menus were dropped on the floor and picked up again. Our concern was that after the menus had been on the floor so many times, they were reused with customers without being wiped down or cleaned.

We eat here when we want quick, basic, and reasonably-priced Mexican, and we have never had to wait to be seated.

• Visited April 2013

Been to Gorditos? Share your experiences!