“The rooms were dirty. The blanket had stains as well as...”

Howard Johnson Lubbock TX
Ranked #34 of 65 Hotels in Lubbock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Katy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I tried to reserve a room at Howard Johnson, there was an event in town and inventory was tight. We were offered the "presidential suite" at this property and I was told it would be $200.00 plus tax, plus a $100.00 deposit. I asked why I needed to give a deposit for this room since I would be using my credit card to pay. It was at this point that I was informed you cannot use a credit card to pay for the "Presidential Suite" that you have to pay CASH for this room. The $100 was to cover damages if I broke a TV or smoked in the room. In my nearly 30 years of travel, in some of the best hotels, I have never been asked to pay in cash and place a deposit on the room. The only kind of hotels that do that are probably the ones you do not want to stay in. Second, HoJo is a decent chain but when did they start offering "cash only" presidential suites? Howard Johnson so disappointed!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CTabor
TARIQ F, Owner at Howard Johnson Lubbock TX, responded to this review, 4 December 2014
First of all, I thank you for taking time to review our Hotel.
I am sorry that our employee ask for deposit, all cash paying guest we do require $100.00 to $250.00 deposit. The reason for deposit is not just stolen TV or damage items in the room, but we are 100 % non smoking property and 100 % pets free property. Some time guest do smoke in the room and we charge $250.0 for smoking fee, and we charge guest card, and they dispute with credit card company, in order to avoid that we require cash deposit, and you get money back at check out, after we verify no one smoke in the room.
We have very strict policy regarding 100 % non smoking and 100 % pets free Hotel.
I thank you for your review and looking forward to have you as our guest.
Thank you.