“Never again: Rude guy at the front desk, hotel itself OK”

Howard Johnson Lubbock TX
Ranked #34 of 66 Hotels in Lubbock
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Never again: Rude guy at the front desk, hotel itself OK”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

At check-in, I was, as always, friendly and upbeat, glad to be at the hotel. The person at the desk, maybe the owner, was extremely rude. I won't bore you with the story. If it hadn't been so late, we wouldn't have stayed.

The room: OK for the price. I do not think the bed covers (not the sheets) were washed, since they smelled musky. 2 queens, ample space for folded clothes. Instead of a bible, we found a phone book, I found that amusing, as I think it's ridiculous to identify all peoples' religions/belief systems and placing only one kind of bible in rooms. Although they say the hotel is "new (2012)," everything is dated... Maybe the building is new and everything inside bought second-hand.

Bathroom: The shower does not heat up very much (you know how you can burn yourself... not in this one), and the water pressure is very low. The towels are many years old (( assume) and shredded.

Although, supposedly, nobody can smoke here, the smoke smell in the stairwalls and hallways is horrible. I don't know if it's the staff or the people in the rooms.

Either way, we will never come here again, nor will anybody I know. Customer service matters.

Wifi: So slow, I think of dial-up... Yet, it works.

Pool: tiny, outdoors.
Grounds: FULL OF CIGARETTE BUTTS. ?!?!??!?! One space is meant for smoking... the hotel owner seems not to care that people smoke everywhere outside, right outside the doors.

Laundry: One washer, one dryer for the entire hotel. The day we were there, the machines were not in use.

Elevator: Much commotion alerted me to the fact that nobody could use the elevator (luggage, people who can't walk stairs... stuck).

Nobody is ever at the front desk. Whoever (the owner?) worked the night we arrived, was still there at noon the next day... we rang a few times each time to get his attention.

Ice maker: Bottom was broken out, so one needs to hold on to the bucket, so it won't fall into the hole.

All was dated, except the paint, that seemed new (nice red doors).

Post office next door!!! Tons of fast-food around, no actual restaurants/nutrition.

Breakfast: Not the absolute worst (worst being 2 store-bought pastries in wrappers). Warm was only the fake waffles one can make in the machines... no eggs, etc. Tables were ALL filthy, nobody bothered to clean at all during breakfast time. The person "in charge" was on the cell phone the entire time, I guess there was not time to clean, nor to put any more fruit out. The donuts were not completely stale.

We originally booked because it's close to the highway and someone mentioned a great manager in one of the reviews... that manager is either no longer here, was sick or is not aware of the person who was/is at the front desk; he would certainly not approve.

Cleaning staff was friendly (maybe teach the front person?).

Best part: The price.

Room Tip: 315 faces the parking lot, as it seems all rooms do, this room faces the back.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rustyferrel
TARIQ F, Owner at Howard Johnson Lubbock TX, responded to this review, 4 December 2014
First of all thank you for your review.
Secondly, I am the Manager and the Owner, the guy you mention he was probably front desk.
He may seem Manger or owner but he is not.
Thirdly, we build brand new Hotel in 2012, we opened as a Howard Johnson Inn, September of 2012. As for hot water, I don't think there is any problem, I went and verify every single room, there is plenty of hot water. As for Elevator, that time you came in we may have technical issue, but we call elevator company they come within few minutes to fix any problem.
As for guest laundry, a lot of expensive chain Hotel even does not offer guest laundry, we do have onsite guest laundry open 24 hours 7 days a week. I monitor that myself, there is not a time when it was broken. We are proud of our Newer Hotel build in 2012. We try our best not just meet but exceed our guest expectation. I still apologize for any inconvenience it may cause to your trip, thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The room was clean, comfortable, and roomy. The hotel was easy to find and the parking lot seemed secure. I would have given a higher rating, but the shower stall was not as clean as it could have been. I turned the hot water on and rinsed the walls before I got in. Plenty of dining choices nearby, even though we arrived quite late. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: third floor was very quiet and secure.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking time to review our Hotel and and your stay with us.
We try our best to exceed all our guests expectations, and we strive for excellence.
I thank you for your review and rating. We are looking forward to have you as our guest soon.
If we can do anything to make your next trip more enjoyable, please let us know.
Thank you.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

BLUF: I'll be back.
Mike (who hails from a more exotic locale than his name suggests) manages this property situated next to I-27/84/289/50th avenue. In other words, you can be anywhere in Lubbock in a few minutes given the North-South and East-West corridors; within 10 minutes of Texas Tech. Alternatively, have all your Lubbock friends come visit you here - they'll find ample parking.

Within walking distance are fast food, chain, ethnic cuisine restaurants, bars, places of worship, mom and pop shops, and a super cool bridge on which to get in some hill work. This is the plains, folks. Hard to find a good hill 'round these parts.

Mike's welcomes weary travellers with a pleasant demeanor and lilting accent. He tries to make the stay personal and personable as though you were an old friend. He's always walking around checking on the breakfast line (carb lovers of the world - this place is for you) or checking the pool. The pool is fiberglass cast with an ample and kid friendly shallow end.

The property was finished in 2012 so it is still fresh, new and yet with all the kinks already worked out.

Wifi signal strength was respectable (>11Mbs) throughout the hotel. There are at least two routers to ensure the 3rd floor and the lobby have adequate bandwidth to check email, news, etc.

Yeah. I'll be back.

Room Tip: South and West rooms, generally quieter, have less direct sunlight.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
First of all, I thank you for your stay with us and for outstanding 5 star review.
I spoke with Mike and told him about your review. He was very happy to heard about your comments, Mike is very kind heart man and make all guest feel home away from home.
We try our best to exceed our all guest expectation, and we strive for excellence.
I am also very happy to heard not only you like over two years old property but other properties around us and the area.
We are looking forward to have your our VIP guest again,and If Mike or I can do anything to make your next trip to Lubbock more enjoyable, please let us know.
Thank you and looking forward to see you again soon.
Thanks.