“Really good”

Cancun Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #154 of 606 Restaurants in Lubbock
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This place has really good, authentic Mexican Food. The staff is always willing to make a dish any way you want and are so nice. They have the best queso and their chips and salsa come complimentary. My favorite dish is their mini tacos with your choice of meat. But the have so many good dishes. My main complaint is this place is expensive! But the plates are loaded. They do have a happy hour and a small bar area that I enjoy!

There are newer reviews for Cancun Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I ate here a couple years ago and it was pretty good, but I believe it has changed ownership since then. This time I ordered the Caldo de Res. I have to say here that I am a soup nut and a Caldo aficionado. I tend to judge the authenticity of a Mexican restaurant based on the quality of their caldo. Having said that, I have to say, never in my life have I seen any Caldo de Res that even resembled the monstrosity that I received at Cancun. I don't know what type of cuisine that soup was, but it was a million miles from being Mexican Caldo de Res. It had three small chunks of beef in it that were 80% fat. Aside from the chucks of fat, all there was were a few small slivers of carrots that were cooked so long in the beef broth they were brown. The broth was a deep dark brown and tasted something like canned beef broth with extra salt. I don't know where this cook learned to cook Caldo, but it sure was not Mexico. Caldo de Res is supposed to have large chunks of beef (not fat) and vegetables (corn on the cob, whole pieces of carrot, cabbage etc.) Caldo De Res is supposed to be colorful, with each component retaining it's own color and flavor. The broth is supposed to be light in color , not dark brown. True Caldo de Res is supposed to be served with a side of fresh chopped onions, cilantro, jalapenos and lime wedges.

The bottom line is that the cook at this location of the Cancun Mexican Restaurant has not the foggiest clue as to how to cook and serve Caldo de Res. Even my waitress ( a hispanic lady) agreed with me about this. I honestly can't speak to the rest of the food there because I left after sending what ever that bowl of stuff was that I got back, but if the cook is this far off on his Caldo, one has to wonder if he knows how to cook other authentic Mexican dishes as well?

Reviewed 21 April 2014

very friendly and good food. quiet atmosphere and close to the hotel. great service newly remodeled and getting a dunkin donuts right next door! snuggled in between starbucks and dunkin donuts!!

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Menu had an awesome selection and the food was delicious. Not your typical chain restaurant. This is set out by itself and some would call a "hole in the wall" although it is much bigger than that. Would definitely eat there again.

Been to Cancun Mexican Restaurant? Share your experiences!