“A fitting tribute to a man who gave us so much in a short time.”

Buddy Holly Statue and West Texas Walk of Fame
Ranked #6 of 53 things to do in Lubbock
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My son in law and I arrived at the Buddy Holly and West Texas walk of fame on Cricket Avenue in Lubbock just after 10am and firstly crossed the street to see the Buddy Holly Statue and the Walk of Fame memorials amongst whom were Roy Orbison of whom I am a great fan and Dan Blocker from the Ponderosa days as an actor. There were a number of names on the plaques behind the statue not all of whom I knew but included the Crickets his group for a short time in reality. We then crossed to the museum with songs from Buddy playing as we approached the main door. Inside we were greeted by two ladies who gave us a briefing on what was in the museum. We paid our $5 dollars entry and proceeded to watch a film of about 30 minutes on the life of Buddy and his achievements up to the terrible night when he was killed along with the Big Bopper and Ricky Valance plus of course the pilot. Many well known stars attribute their musical development to Buddy including the Beatles, Rolling Stones and many others. We then proceeded into the history artifacts section amongst which were many personal items of Buddy's from the time he was a young boy through his life. In the other section of the facility were the walk of fame pictures etc.
It was well worth the visit and gave a clear insight to the legend that is Buddy Holly.

1  Thank WiggleOxford
"road trip"
"lubbock area"
"take pictures"

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Buddy Holly was such an influential talent and did so much before his untimely death at age 22. In a town that does not have much, they do have this one great claim to fame! Don't forget to visit the Buddy Holly Center across the street and take your picute with the giant pair of glasses!

3  Thank mom_in_dfw
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This is basically a one-room museum dedicated to the career of Rock n Roll icon Buddy Holly. I found the exhibit of vintage audio recording equipment most interesting, because I worked with very similar equipment in the mid-60s. One disappointment: for some reason they won't let you take pictures inside.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband posed for photos of himself with Buddy Holly, both of them playing Buddy's guitar ... it was silly and fun. It looked like they hold concerts on the lawn surrounding the Statue. It would be a great place to sit outside, if it wasn't March and WINDY in Lubbock!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I was passing through Lubbock again and decided to stay the night, just so i could return to the museum! The gallery is very informative on his life and musical career. They have some really neat artifacts, such as Buddy's guitars, and glasses. There is also a 15 minute video with comments from Buddy's family members as well as Paul McCartney and Waylon Jennings, and Keith Richards as to how Buddy Holly and the Crickets influenced them. There is another smaller room where they have rotating exhibits. During my first visit there was a bedroom set belonging to Buddy and Marie Elena. Now that the West Texas walk of fame is just across the road, they're starting to feature different artists from there. This time it was The Crickets.

There is also a fine art gallery in another wing of the building. They had some pottery and photography featured, with a station to do your own oil pastels.

The gift shop has a little something in all price ranges, including guitar picks!

The Statue was my main reason for stopping. It was in another location that I didn't have time to stop at last time i was in town, but now it is right across the street with the newly dedicated walk of fame.

I'd certainly go back again.

1  Thank Megan B