“Nice Enough, But Stalled On Service”

Arbor Inn and Suites
Ranked #11 of 69 Hotels in Lubbock
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After reading all the reviews, I booked a one-night stay at the Arbor Inn & Suites through Booking Dot Com, and felt confident we'd enjoy our short stay based on what I'd read here. Our visit was to celebrate a favorite aunt's 94th birthday. We checked in, unpacked our stuff, and I grabbed a short nap while the wifey went to the pool to get a bit of sun.

Our first floor room was clean, quiet, and spacious, located on the back side of the Inn with only a handful of other guests around. Two big beds, a sitting area with a big window overlooking our car parked right outside - a lot of space and amenities for the price, I thought.

The wife said the pool appeared somewhat dirty, so she did not swim. When it came time to grab a snack before our big night out, the small refrigerator had not cooled our drinks or snacks. It just wasn't running at all. Knowing that these units usually had a "reset" button on the back side for the compressor, I pulled the little fridge out from its hiding place to make sure it was plugged in and to look for that elusive reset button. It was nowhere to be found, and I couldn't make it come to life. From the looks of it, this fridge had seen a dust rage in a looooong time. Okay, I get it - the thing is tucked away under a cabinet, and probably a PITA to get to.

The wife called the front desk to report the problem, and requested a replacement fridge from a nearby empty room. She was told that was not an option - our only alternative was to move to another room with a working fridge.......NOT the answer we were hoping for. The nice young lady at the desk said she was the only person on duty and couldn't leave the desk. "I don't know what you want me to do about it" was the wrong answer. The wife was livid. Further investigation revealed a low battery on the safe for valuables that was mounted on the floor inside the small closet, so I couldn't use the safe, either.

I don't think it too much to ask to have a maintenance person on duty, or at least on call, to handle little problems such as these. We left for our dinner date, and made it back to the room before 10PM. The fridge had not been replaced or repaired after four or five hours while we away.

The beds were great, the linens clean, and everything else about our "suite" was delightful with the exception of the customer service. Everyone we encountered was pleasant enough, but the perceived attitude was "we don't care enough to actually fix your problem", which pretty much spoiled the whole experience for us. I mentioned the fridge and safe problems again at checkout, and was told they'd bring it to someone's attention. Yeah, that made me fell all warm and fuzzy.....NOT. I paid my bill and left without exchanging pleasantries.

Who's running the store at this place ? And why aren't the desk personnel empowered to handled little problems like this when they arise without having to resort to lame answers like "we can move you to another room" ? You're okay with the guests being inconvenienced ? Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it in today's world. I'll be returning to Lubbock in the fall, but I'll probably be spending my lodging bucks elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a suite on the back side - just make the fridge works !
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Rob M, Manager at Arbor Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

You're right, John -- our desk clerk's reaction is certainly disappointing. While we are unable to move refrigerators, we are able to move you to a different room. I apologize for the inconvenience and I agree that this should have been handled in a more gracious manner, but I hope you understand. That aside, I appreciate your candor, and I hope you'll give us another chance to make it up to you. We're proud to make our guests feel at home, and I know we have what it takes to impress you.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

By far the worst experience I have had with a hotel. We went and tried to check in at 1 and they didn't let us even though we had a wedding to attend so when we went back after the wedding they had given our room away and we ended up having to pay more for a room. They not only did this to us but at least 5 other guests. Then when I called to talk to the manager he was rude and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about. I have stayed anywhere from a 3 star to a 4 diamond hotel and this one was by far the worst experience and had the rudest staff. What ever happened to accommodating the guest? obviously this hotel had forgotten all about that.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tiffany B
Rob M, Manager at Arbor Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We do our best to ensure that all of our guests feel at home, so I'm sorry that you feel this way, Tiffany. As you recall, your credit card was declined the first time you attempted to check in at 1 PM. At 8 PM we authorize all the remaining arrivals credit cards and cancel any that decline. Your credit card was one that did decline. Without a valid credit card on file we had to cancel the reservation. We were happy to accommodate you when we had an available room when you came back at 12:10 AM, and we even took 10% off the rate of your suite which was the group rate discount. I'm sorry you were disappointed, but we did everything in our power to host you.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband can easily move around the room in his wheelchair, and the roll-in shower is perfect. Also the pool has zero entrance allowing a person in a wheelchair complete access. We haven't tried the pool yet, but hope to this summer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Rob M, Manager at Arbor Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

I'm so glad that you and your husband felt at home! We appreciate your kind words, and we'll definitely keep your thoughts in mind in regards to our pool. Thank you, and I hope to welcome you back next time you're in Lubbock!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is yet another jewel in the crown of Lubbock TX. The character, quality, tone and atmosphere of Arbor Inn was so unexpected but very noticeable. I loved the iced tea and little cupcakes beautifully arranged to great the guests who would partake. The whole dining area they have going is all very well thought out and very clean. I was welcomed by the managing partner Rob Meyer, verrry handsome gentleman. OH, I had a suite which was wonderful well decorated, very spacious, immaculate, and comfortable. The features come complete with living room seating & desk with a little flat screen on it. Another larger TV further in and facing 2 queen sized beds, a vanity (yes a vanity folks) and a microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom was so large I could play ball, seriously. The bed was extremely comfortable, I slept like a baby. My absolute favorite part was the shower head, a hand held but if you didn't want to hold it, place it in it's holder and you can position it by moving it high or low. I llllove a good shower head. The Arbor Inn & Suites is nothing short of sweet and unexpected pleasure. And it's centrally located to everything. I will stay here next time I have business in Lubbock. I'm really starting to love Lubbock.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

"Another jewel in the crown of Lubbock TX." What a compliment! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words -- your review really means the world to us. We hope to have you back soon, but in the meantime, let us know if there's anything else we can do to make you feel at home!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was in one of the "suite" rooms for most of my stay. It was spacious, clean, comfortable, quiet, and well-appointed. Due to some flight cancellations, I ended up staying several days longer than planned and the staff were very accommodating of my circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Rob M, Manager at Arbor Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

I'm sorry that your flight was canceled, Daniel, but I'm glad we were able to make you feel at home. Thanks for the wonderful review, and keep us in mind next time you're in Lubbock!

Best,

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I am so impressed! The room was clean, the linens were clean, the towels were clean!! The rate was very reasonable. The AC worked perfectly. Folks, if you haven't stayed at this little jewel, you should. The staff was pleasant & helpful, and the room had everything I needed. Coffee maker, fridge even a small safe. And everything was operational. I have no regrets and this will be my first choice any time I travel through Lubbock. I just have one request, the staff said this hotel is privately owned. Please, whoever owns it, PLEASE don't sell it, you are doing a marvelous job!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Rob M, Manager at Arbor Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Wow! We couldn't have asked for kinder words. Thank you so much for the fantastic review, and let us know if there's anything else we can do to make you feel at home!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I travel frequently, staying in well more than 50 motels a year in many different nations around the world. We were VERY pleasantly surprised when we stayed three nights at the Arbor Inn and Suites. I have taken up writing these reviews to help fellow travelers, and to help the managers / owners of properties know when they are "hitting the mark" and where they could make some adjustments.

Arrival:
Firstly, first impressions were awesome. Walk into the entry area and prepare to be welcomed by a bright hall, great decorations, and an extremely pleasant team. The reception staff was Top Notch! They had apparently reviewed their arriving reservations and our usually difficult last name, was not an issue. They had our reservation up and we were off to the room within minutes.

Room:
Once again - we opened the door and the room was fresh, clean, very nicely decorated, and the bed was one of the most comfortable that we have had during this year's travels. The bathroom was very clean, nice supply of towels and toiletries, again, way above expectations.

Breakfast:
The breakfast was very nicely arranged in a very roomy area. Assortment of breads, fresh make-yourself waffles, fruit, apple and orange juice, coffee, cereals, fruit, biscuits and gravy, boiled eggs, yogurt. Not quite the variety of say "Holiday Inn Express" but still, very adequate and tasty.

Property:
This property is very well maintained. Each of the three days we were there, we observed a facilities maintenance man on constant patrol, cleaning the pool, adjusting doors, fixing faucets, being radio dispatched from the front desk. Not the typical norm for a hotel in this price range.

Hospitality:
This team gets a TOP NOTCH rating here as well. Every staff member, from the front reception team house cleaning, doesn't just smile, but is engaged with visitors. Typically housecleaning staff tend to be very quiet and reserved. We always like to engage staff members during our stays and everyone was just....fantastic! Way to go team!!!

Pool:
Ok...now this is where it gets awesome. Most pools at motels in this price range are mediocre at best. Can't describe it better than just telling you to look at the pictures. We spent a very beautiful night in the pool and hot tub, watching the stars.

Now the crazy thing! In all of our visits around the world, this is the first time we have ever seen this. We came through Tuesday afternoon after a full day and saw signs indicating that there would be an owner's reception in the dining area, serving complimentary dinner, desert, beer, wine, tea, and lemonade. We assumed that it must be a management change or some other special occasion. Then we arrived in our room and saw the notice that this happens EVERY Tuesday! Unbelievable.

This place absolutely gets Best Stay Award for the year in our book for the regular Hotel/Suites property!

Note to management: Way to go team! just a couple of small items. The men's bathroom in the lobby area needed a bit of attention - went a couple days without toiletries and needing cleaned (I restocked it from the lady's restroom) and the business center printer was without ink during our three day stay. This is just to help you guys be the absolute best possible. We will definitely be back if we are in the area!

Room Tip: If you want a special treat, ask for a room / suite with a balcony, overlooking the pool.
1  Thank TDABusinessTravel
Rob M, Manager at Arbor Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

One of your very best experiences here in Lubbock? Now that's a compliment! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your detailed feedback. We can't wait to welcome you back next time you're in town -- we'll have a pool chair waiting for you!